Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Grennesa said:

While the DAC is working find I've just found that the left channel input for the theatre bypass isn't working on the Mytek, and its not a cable or AVR issue  (Devastated!)

 

They should have said HT bypass doesn't stand for High Temperature?

 

Hope it's OK. Lovely amplifier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My current system!         Recorded handheld on my iphone with inbuilt microphone...so take it with a big dose of salt.

solace away from the girls  

my recently purchased pile is getting larger. Need to put some records into the record racks soon    Loving the Glorious Record boxes - almost like being at a record store. Pity I have no more room fo

9 hours ago, Grennesa said:

System got a nice little addition today. Added a pass labs X150.5 to the setup today. 
 

Such a solid unit... the 250 and 350watt amps must be absolute beasts. 

5569A6EF-CF68-4C99-BE40-F2E43BABB15F.jpeg

Wouldn’t the heat melt your dac? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TDX said:

Wouldn’t the heat melt your dac? 

I didn't leave it there long enough to find out. But yes not a good place to leave something..

Link to post
Share on other sites


Really struggling today, who can relate. Over 6 hours of PGA golf on Kayo, with some good music playing through the speakers. Which one do i mute, listen to this song or this commentary? Sometimes life through up such stressful problems it's hard to know whats right.

 

And then my wife brings me French toast, Banana's and coconut yogurt.

 

What a tough start to the day.

0-8.jpg

0-7.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, russell66 said:

Really struggling today, who can relate. Over 6 hours of PGA golf on Kayo, with some good music playing through the speakers. Which one do i mute, listen to this song or this commentary? Sometimes life through up such stressful problems it's hard to know what's right.

Never mute the music. Closed captions were invented for a reason.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Never mute the music. Closed captions were invented for a reason.

I agree, why do you need a commentator telling you what you can see yourself?xD

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, russell66 said:

Really struggling today, who can relate. Over 6 hours of PGA golf on Kayo, with some good music playing through the speakers. Which one do i mute, listen to this song or this commentary? Sometimes life through up such stressful problems it's hard to know whats right.

 

And then my wife brings me French toast, Banana's and coconut yogurt.

 

What a tough start to the day.

0-8.jpg

0-7.jpg

Well if the golf gets boring there is always some colouring in to do. Leave the music on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Before bed listening session, today my little son made the solar system and want his toys stick to the wall behind my toys lol.

I actually quite like it, the solar system definetly improves the sound by miles! 

20200809_222346.jpg

Edited by dwbasement
  • Like 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Very nice! I see he focussed on the asteroid belt :) 

He did, there are space station, four moons of Jupiter...etc, he spent the whole afternoon today on this haha

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, RockandorRoll said:

1994120535_20200811_090042(2).thumb.jpg.8a1e809c3fdf5f5d00816d0f5cb316b0.jpg

 

New house, new room. Still have to mount the cart on the turntable.

Looking very nice, N, been a long time, mate. What cart are you fitting?

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Looking very nice, N, been a long time, mate. What cart are you fitting?

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

Quintet Black. A subtle upgrade to the 2M Black I was using previously.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites


It’s Tuesday night..., enjoying my modest Japanese junk electronics..., Danglish poweramps and crappy American moving coils in Alumina boxes... 
Sounds great and extremely addictive! 🙃

9703144D-CA01-47C5-92A4-DE3AEBFA43EA.thumb.jpeg.b1a8353a31d842c16f3dfc41552a7191.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chanh said:

It’s Tuesday night..., enjoying my modest Japanese junk electronics..., Danglish poweramps and crappy American moving coils in Alumina boxes... 
Sounds great and extremely addictive! 🙃

9703144D-CA01-47C5-92A4-DE3AEBFA43EA.thumb.jpeg.b1a8353a31d842c16f3dfc41552a7191.jpeg

Not sure what is more impressive the the gear or the red? 
 

Make and model  - power amps and speakers? 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to MSB in the shape of their Discrete DAC with dual Discrete power supplies, along side an Innuous Phoenix Re-clocker I just installed today. Audible improvements straight away. I'll share my thoughts after a few days. 

 

Lastly I've also installed a Primare NP5 which I use to stream Chromecast & Spotify and not as a Roon end point. 

DIGITAL.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

Back to MSB in the shape of their Discrete DAC with dual Discrete power supplies, along side an Innuous Phoenix Re-clocker I just installed today. Audible improvements straight away. I'll share my thoughts after a few days. 

 

Lastly I've also installed a Primare NP5 which I use to stream Chromecast & Spotify and not as a Roon end point. 

DIGITAL.jpg

Very nice and tidy! Kudos to you Sir!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Not sure what is more impressive the the gear or the red? 
 

Make and model  - power amps and speakers? 

I will say, the red is much more impressive. It has that magic when over indulgent, this modest setup sounds fantastic. Most of all, much more affordable compare to upgrade the gears. 🤣    

 

As for "Make and model", 

 

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Galactic Soap said:

Back to MSB in the shape of their Discrete DAC with dual Discrete power supplies, along side an Innuous Phoenix Re-clocker I just installed today. Audible improvements straight away. I'll share my thoughts after a few days. 

 

Lastly I've also installed a Primare NP5 which I use to stream Chromecast & Spotify and not as a Roon end point. 

DIGITAL.jpg

Your system has evolved so much over the years, to now be what appears to be almost simple, but I am sure it sounds absolutely superb! Jealous of those CR-1s....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chanh said:

As for "Make and model", 

Wow thanks Chanh, you just turned my little Logitech computer speakers into Magicos! Awesome spaciousness, timbre and claret-y!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chanh said:

I will say, the red is much more impressive. It has that magic when over indulgent, this modest setup sounds fantastic. Most of all, much more affordable compare to upgrade the gears. 🤣    

 

As for "Make and model", 

 

Yeah I agree, my system has 50% increase after reds or beers. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Wow thanks Chanh, you just turned my little Logitech computer speakers into Magicos! Awesome spaciousness, timbre and claret-y!

Thanks @BioBrian
 A recording from iPhone might not be best compare to real first hand auditioning experience. 
Hope you can have a listen whenever your over West. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Hope you can have a listen

It's amazing how a quality source can show through downstream compromises. I really can get a sense of the space and detail that this incredible system has, just through your iphone, and these little things on my desk.

 

It's quite fashionable to say "it's useless spending money on a good DAC, or cable, or whatever, if your room or speakers are not perfect", but I think a lot of us know that we DO know when something special is upstream. Certainly the case for me, here. Now I almost feel I don't need to make the trip!

 

Unless you have a Bin 389 on the go, of course. It's been a few decades since my last one, but it was close to the source of my red education...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

Unless you have a Bin 389 on the go, of course. It's been a few decades since my last one, but it was close to the source of my red education...

I will sure offer a couple on standby and decanted ready, should you ever make it! 😉
 

30D41F68-E39B-4EEE-9834-AE011488C43B.jpeg

BC1D79CA-D35E-4973-BA6A-1B2D0C0B8822.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, thanks! We might all 3 be well-aged by the time it happens, but here's hoping.

 

And while I've still got my silly pants on, I thought it was really cute that Accuphase custom-built a couple of drink coasters on top of your new preamp 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2020 at 11:55 PM, Chanh said:

It’s Tuesday night..., enjoying my modest Japanese junk electronics..., Danglish poweramps and crappy American moving coils in Alumina boxes... 
Sounds great and extremely addictive! 🙃

9703144D-CA01-47C5-92A4-DE3AEBFA43EA.thumb.jpeg.b1a8353a31d842c16f3dfc41552a7191.jpeg

I hope I'll have a system as nice as that one day. I'm in love with the cheapo accuphase so i can only imagine how that system sounds.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Hey, thanks! We might all 3 be well-aged by the time it happens, but here's hoping.

 

And while I've still got my silly pants on, I thought it was really cute that Accuphase custom-built a couple of drink coasters on top of your new preamp 🙂

Hehe.... 

This Accuphase preamp is acquired without any audition. It is the very first unit for international release and I am the very first owner outside Japan. Lot of risks with such high ticket item, however, never I have been that so satisfied with an audio purchase as this, unprecedentedly. 😊🥰😇

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve probably made around two dozen preamps, mostly tube. Most I would say didn’t have a signature but the last four tube preamps I’ve made (three as lock down projects using parts on hand) have had a signature. Fortunately a pleasant or even exciting one. 
 

I sold “Continuum” (SRPP with 6922 Gold Lions) to a guy through my retro-thermionic Facebook page. Not sure what he had before but he claimed it totally changed the whole sound of his system for the better. He was so shocked/impressed he sent me a video of it playing in his system. 
 

So when (above) someone says they like the sound of a preamp in their system I really get it. The most profoundly sounding one I have (again made in lockdown from parts on hand) is the DHT UX-171A preamp with 1920s tubes. Just something about it is so intoxicating. I’m a convert. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chanh said:

thoughts

Sounds like an off-day for your system 😧. Dynamic peaks all squashed, particularly "piano" and bass sound relatively dead.

 

Nothing to do with the iphone and what happens later, of course!

 

We'd have to hear the same recording in different resolutions to make any proper judgement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BioBrian said:

Nothing to do with the iphone and what happens later, of course!

 

We'd have to hear the same recording in different resolutions to make any proper judgement.

Thanks @BioBrian
I think this setup is being very honest. I am experimenting with the importance of digital source. People have different opinions that digital source isn’t as critical.. Clearly MP3 showed its true SQ colour. I personally always appreciate DSD better than PCM and again PCM better MP3.....!

 

Will retrial once am able to find a recording that’s mastered in a variety formats. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

These guys are the best I've found, and offer different-res trials.

 

I have bought a couple of these pricey recordings, but being a classical tragic, I have trouble listening to bad intonation (typical in jazz, especially sax and string bass), so the below link was a welcome find. "Jet" on bass is awesome, though a little hidden in the single-mike soundstage.

 

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/515-reinier-voet-ballade-pour-la-nuit

 

I've not had great joy from any DSD so far - this may be my setup - the best for me has been the above in DXD (PCM?) 352.8 kHz.

Edited by BioBrian
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2020 at 10:56 PM, mwhouston said:

Not mine but looks the part and not super excessive. Image off FB. 

0AF24A06-F2B3-431C-96BC-9A9D9A4763F0.jpeg

I've just been reading a review of the AUS built Jones Scalon Baby Reds in the latest [August] issue of  Sound on Sound magazine, which looking at the driver configuration the ones above seem to be a domestic version of.....with added subs.

https://www.waynejonesaudio.com/products-specs/baby-reds-studio-monitors/

Very strange mid/woofer surround speaker by Purifi , designed by Bruno Putzeys who is also responsibly for the Kii Three.

It makes me wonder if a Kii Two or One might end up using a similar driver.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2020 at 10:56 PM, mwhouston said:

 

Not mine but looks the part and not super excessive. Image off FB. 

 

0AF24A06-F2B3-431C-96BC-9A9D9A4763F0.jpeg

 

Very interesting design of the main equipment stand.  :thumb:

 

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...