Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rockeater said:

Nice setup.

I see the space is at the premium.

Is there a space to the right of the right speaker?

If so, I'd be thinking of moving the TT to the right, so that the TT arm is not that close to the magnets of the speaker.

This is important particularly for MC cartridges.

Unless these are purposely screened HT speakers o course.

Some iconic posters you have there!

Hello Roman,

 

There is definitely no issue, magnetic or otherwise, with the proximity of the Brinkmann tonearm to that LHS loudspeaker. You're right, where I'm living now is much smaller than the space I had in Melbourne, so some compromise has been necessary, but I would never compromise when it comes to the performance of a vinyl rig. I do have another system in the same room and that system is to the right of that pic and I built those loudspeakers many years ago, with absolutely no thought on making them screened for HT use.xD

 

Only about half the posters we had in Melbourne actually made it into this current room, but the pic below was taken probably 6 or 7 years ago, but the loudspeakers are the same and so are most of the posters too. Different turntable back then and two tonearms at the time, but no magnetic field issues then either. Have you had problems with interference with some MC cartridges you've used? What tonearm and cartridge are you using?

 

Cheers,

 

Keith

 

Picture 1188.jpg

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My current system!         Recorded handheld on my iphone with inbuilt microphone...so take it with a big dose of salt.

solace away from the girls  

my recently purchased pile is getting larger. Need to put some records into the record racks soon    Loving the Glorious Record boxes - almost like being at a record store. Pity I have no more room fo

Another Lock Down 2.0 Victorian Post

 

Given spending alot more time listening to music and won't be doing any travelling anytime soon upgraded my sub from an SVS SB2000 to a REL 212/SX. I need to set up properly but WOW this thing makes the SVS seem like a toy. 993316872_Homesystem.thumb.jpg.935cc7e79d842d9ca040dbd16e0cfb15.jpg

REL 212SX.jpg

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites


Changed out my Paradigm Premier 100Bs in my work system for my JBL 4312M IIs from one of my home systems.  All of this gear (other than the headshell and cartridge) has been acquired secondhand from SNA members in really great transactions.

 

image.jpg

0762ABFF-3C70-4967-BBEB-5D9D92A191C3.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, BLAH BLAH said:

And you said you want to sit where @2Brix ?!?.....WOOF!!!... Good luck! :) 

The couch? oh...n-no, all yours...i'm good, happy standing...enjoying the sound waay over here...incredible sweet spot. 

 

Shall we watch Cats?...whoa...just j/king...huh? Snow Dogs it is..again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keces P8 linear power supply added to my Roon Nucleus+.

 

DA2C4D95-D466-4B83-8043-0CEF624E361E.jpeg

40996800-EB21-41E6-B76F-49A3CF1717E9.jpeg

Edited by jt301
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

After meditation Monday afternoon tunes. 🎶🎶🎶

AB1B83AF-DB1B-47A5-9C75-820C51379333.thumb.jpeg.4f6db8622ba9876b0718b6c2185d96c7.jpeg157EF662-7DE9-46F3-86B3-EE89D649BC7E.thumb.jpeg.86e4613674c5fbc30680cc3cdf3c3954.jpeg

The AN plugged back in I see...🙏👍

Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, Pops110 said:

After meditation Monday afternoon tunes. 🎶🎶🎶

AB1B83AF-DB1B-47A5-9C75-820C51379333.thumb.jpeg.4f6db8622ba9876b0718b6c2185d96c7.jpeg157EF662-7DE9-46F3-86B3-EE89D649BC7E.thumb.jpeg.86e4613674c5fbc30680cc3cdf3c3954.jpeg

Sensational room and very tasty set up Dave. Very envious😎. In comparison, it feels like my system is set up in a shoebox!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 4:51 PM, KRSDarwin said:

Changed out my Paradigm Premier 100Bs in my work system for my JBL 4312M IIs from one of my home systems.  All of this gear (other than the headshell and cartridge) has been acquired secondhand from SNA members in really great transactions.

 

image.jpg

0762ABFF-3C70-4967-BBEB-5D9D92A191C3.jpeg

I see you are still using the tube phono stage I made you. I don’t think you can get the Greek kits anymore which is really sad. A bloody great kit. I wanted one for myself. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

Sensational room and very tasty set up Dave. Very envious😎. In comparison, it feels like my system is set up in a shoebox!

Thanks mate, the missus did the styling, I just did all the work. 😁

It not without it’s problems though , big open space to the left, floor boards and a fair bit of glass make it hard to tame but I think I’ve done the best I can without upsetting the boss.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Making sure I have the required facial covering 

 

E99C612A-1B35-4E86-9878-A020B59F20E7.jpeg.c41b5d66e0e2dfd393d4d41e6761c6ad.jpeg

About time for a haircut.....😁

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

My system tonite, having some background music while I getting ready to bed.

20200803_235030.jpg

Amp and speakers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Only ever built one amp with a 6AS7. Great sounding. Have you tried a 6080 in the same amp. I found them microphonic. 

Yes, GEC 6080 and Mullard (the one with same construction as the GEC) are very nice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another temp headphone setup.

 

  • Technics TT
  • Swapping between a Garrott K3 and Ortofon VMS20E MKII
  • DIY LM833 phono preamp
  • DIY tube SRPP preamp with HP driver
  • Sennheiser 700 phones.

21D91A74-0337-4981-8798-B319691656FE.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only room in the house that I can put my system in. Thankfully a vaulted ceiling actually makes it a good sounding room, even if I have to pull a chair from the adjacent room to sit and listen withj. Music projects quite nicely from the system into the adjacent living area.

 

Speakers are DIY lxmini.

 

Latest toy is the 502DAC running symphonic-mpd software. 

Room this morning-s.jpg

502DAC into minidsp PWRICE-125-s.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2020 at 9:41 AM, dwbasement said:

Yes, GEC 6080 and Mullard (the one with same construction as the GEC) are very nice.

Swapping between the 6080 and 6AS7 I felt the 6AS7 definitely better. When you are on phones it is much easier to pick the difference between components. I also felt the 12AU7, in my tube headphone amp, better than the 12AX7 the amp was designed for. Quieter too.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Swapping between the 6080 and 6AS7 I felt the 6AS7 definitely better. When you are on phones it is much easier to pick the difference between components. I also felt the 12AU7, in my tube headphone amp, better than the 12AX7 the amp was designed for. Quieter too.  

I agree 100% that 6AS7 sounds better than 6080 in general but the GEC 6080 is a different class of 6080 I think.

A lot of Head amps use 6AS7 as an upgrade to 6080 are the obvious reason I guess.

Also agree 12AU7 is quieter and better sound than 12AX7 but much less gain though... My phono uses 12AT7 but I also use Raytheon 5751 windmill getter as alternative. Both sound very nice.

I also use 18ECC pinched waist on the phono as well, another rare tube 12AT7 alternative, lesser gain than AT but more than AU...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

I agree 100% that 6AS7 sounds better than 6080 in general but the GEC 6080 is a different class of 6080 I think.

A lot of Head amps use 6AS7 as an upgrade to 6080 are the obvious reason I guess.

Also agree 12AU7 is quieter and better sound than 12AX7 but much less gain though... My phono uses 12AT7 but I also use Raytheon 5751 windmill getter as alternative. Both sound very nice.

I also use 18ECC pinched waist on the phono as well, another rare tube 12AT7 alternative, lesser gain than AT but more than AU...

Never liked the 12AT7 until I built two 6L6 SE UL wine box amps. I had top of the range Psvane 12AT7s and tried them In the amps as driver tubes. They never came out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Never liked the 12AT7 until I built two 6L6 SE UL wine box amps. I had top of the range Psvane 12AT7s and tried them In the amps as driver tubes. They never came out. 

6201 is worth trying too.

A2900 is what I haven't tried as they are too expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Astronutter said:

My office cum music room - i have lived in this room for the last five months. Not sick of it yet

80539430-9817-4DA6-A7E0-D14906DA10C5.jpeg

988FDBDE-AE4F-4906-89E3-14AD21BEB3D1.jpeg

 Vibrations be damned! ;) I see 

 

Id be happy to be stuck in that room 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you can’t dampen those pesky vibrations enough.
 

Map weights!

 

Cheap and cheerful but effective especially on the amp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

System got a nice little addition today. Added a pass labs X150.5 to the setup today. 
 

Such a solid unit... the 250 and 350watt amps must be absolute beasts. 

5569A6EF-CF68-4C99-BE40-F2E43BABB15F.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2020 at 9:56 PM, dwbasement said:

My system tonite, having some background music while I getting ready to bed.

20200803_235030.jpg

Go to bed?  I think i'd forego sleep and stay up all night listening to a system like that....very noice 👌

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Grennesa said:

System got a nice little addition today. Added a pass labs X150.5 to the setup today. 
 

Such a solid unit... the 250 and 350watt amps must be absolute beasts. 

5569A6EF-CF68-4C99-BE40-F2E43BABB15F.jpeg

Very nice, Would be some of the best sounding R series ever. What is the rest of the chain? DAC direct?

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Very nice, Would be some of the best sounding R series ever. What is the rest of the chain? DAC direct?

Thanks, I think they sound pretty good especially with the amp, although I'd love to upgrade my speaker (too many wants....not enough money)

 

I use Roon and was using my Oppo 203 as the Dac/Streamer and using my Anthem MRX720 for amplifier duties. But since picking up the X150.5 I've been trying out my Mytek Brooklyn Dac+ as the DAC (had been using that in a headphone setup).

 

While the DAC is working find I've just found that the left channel input for the theatre bypass isnt working on the Mytek, and its not a cable or AVR issue  (Devastated!). Will have to get in touch with Mytek to see if theres a fix otherwise....might be time to buy something new......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member




×
×
  • Create New...