On 22/04/2018 at 8:24 PM, Rob181 said:

SA...one of two states I have not set foot in...sigh...

Time to consider a trip to SA.Many visitors from interstate are blown away by the States Blue Stone and character housing .

Chilling on a bizarrely warm day in Perth for this time of year. 

877D541D-E400-4676-ABF4-1ADAE02498BD.jpeg

Well, finally, after months and months of planning the final piece of the puzzle (the cabinet) arrived on Friday afternoon. A large percentage of my time in hospital between the end of September  '16 and coming home to the new house in mid December '17 was spent researching and then setting in motion a series of changes to my system. Out have gone the Musical Fidelity A-308cr pre/power amps, the Sonos streamer, the Dynavector cartridge, the Musical Fidelity X-Cans v.2, the Soundstyle rack and my Martin Logan Vantage speakers, along with my speaker cable stalwart of the past quarter century or so, a 3 meter pair of Monster Power Line 2. They're all very fine components, it's just that the new ones are better.

Into the system has come the Arcam FMJ A49 integrated amplifier, the Auralic Aries streamer, the PS Audio New Wave Phono Convertor, the Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cable, the Pioneer PD-9700 cd player, the Linn's Kore and Krystal, and a pair of Martin Logan ESL13 Expression speakers.

I have also acquired a Yamaha M-60 power amp, a Curious USB cable, a pair of Chord balanced cables, an Aurealis balanced cable, two Iso-Tek Polaris power boards plus a half dozen Iso-Tek Premier power cords and, of course, the cabinet.

Currently, everything on the outgoing list is for sale. Contact me for details if what interests you isn't in my signature below.

How does it sound? Bloody fantastic!, and I still have to have the ARC room correction done on the speakers (the store wanted at least 100 hours of burn in completed before they come back to do that). The Arcam has been a revelation, the speakers (and the Nordost)  even more so (and more to come with the upcoming ARC set-up), and the Aries just leaves the Sonos sounding flat footed.

Special thanks go to the stores involved: Aidan at The Life Style Store in western Sydney, Harry at Audio Genesis, @jimsan at Tivoli Hi-Fi in Melbourne, Addicted2Audio for their Easter '17 Sale on the 'net, Angus at Miranda Hi-Fi in sunny Canberra, Oliver at Australia A1 Furniture; as well as SNAers @BATMAQN @countcrisp @Raffinator for the previously loved items. Also a big thank you to John at Apollo Hi-Fi who gave me Oliver's phone number when he had nothing in store to meet my needs.

I'm going to be stuck at home for a while yet whilst I recuperate so am looking forward to hearing the system fully burn itself in over time. Had someone told me forty odd years ago that I would end up having a system such as this I think I would have laughed in disbelief. The only possible upgrade I can now envision is changing from my NAD M51 to another dac. The Panasonic Blu-ray/HDD and the Sony UBP-X800 would benefit from such a change I think. The Bryston BDA-3 looks good to me but I have yet to justify that investment when I watch so little tv when my wife is out of the house. Dac change or not, I think that this may well be the last ever round of major upgrading that I will ever do.

I have to say that of all of the changes my biggest leap of faith was the Arcam FMJ A49. With just about everything else I had had previously encountered the brands involved and had a clear idea in my head what they would contribute. The Arcam, though, was new territory. Two separate recommendations from two different stores in two different cities piqued my interest and a whole afternoon of auditioning in store clinched the purchase. Even so there was still a little niggle in the back of my mind wondering if I had done the right thing. Until it was up and running, that is. It's a fantastic piece of gear, supple, and musically adept at all times. The old cliche about hearing stuff I have never heard before applies in spades but what gets me is hearing in a new way the things that I have heard before. Before this amp I had always thought of Arcam as being a middling level brand at best, but no longer. This amp deserves to be heard.

I will update with fresh observations in the future. Hope that you like the photo's.

May 6, 2018 026.JPG

May 6, 2018 027.JPG

May 6, 2018 028.JPG

May 6, 2018 029.JPG

May 6, 2018 030.JPG

May 6, 2018 032.JPG

Very nice Jack looks awesome and I'm sure it sounds amazing, glad I could help a bit with your journey and I'm doubly glad to see you are getting better.

:thumb:??:thumb:

On 06/05/2018 at 3:38 PM, BATMAQN said:

Very nice Jack looks awesome and I'm sure it sounds amazing, glad I could help a bit with your journey and I'm doubly glad to see you are getting better.

:thumb:??:thumb:

You and me both Seb. Yes, amazing describes how it sounds in both the analogue and digital domains. My wife was away for work last night and about 7pm I sat down for a listen and, next thing I knew, time had passed to the point where it was approaching 2am. Had to drag myself off to bed.

As I was dropping off I realised that for the best part of a year I have been dropping off thinking about the changes that were coming and how it would end up sounding. Now I have to find something else to obsess about as I slip into the arms of Morpheus.

Have moved house again and just got the 2 channel up and running again. Bit of speaker placement to do but it is sounding ok

32155306_233580897223965_8504748223536037888_n.jpg

Have moved house again and just got the 2 channel up and running again. Bit of speaker placement to do but it is sounding ok
32155306_233580897223965_8504748223536037888_n.thumb.jpg.ad6f5fdc90e6b5860f0a32b26bd2e516.jpg

Nice setup Bunno [emoji106]

I really like those speaker mounts where did you get them

@Luvitloud they are the standard bases that come with the Tribute model. They have been modified and now feature on the Persona range.

10 hours ago, Luvitloud said:

Nice setup Bunno emoji106.png

I really like those speaker mounts where did you get them

Yep as above they're the standard plinths that come from the factory

Sorry folks, I almost forgot to include the obligatory "feet in front of the system" photo.

Here ya go:

May 11, 2018 035.JPG

5 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Sorry folks, I almost forgot to include the obligatory "feet in front of the system" photo.

Here ya go:

May 11, 2018 035.JPG

Damn, what happened to you mate?

6 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Damn, what happened to you mate?

Charcot's Arthropathy, followed by two Talectomies.

4 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

Ahh, I remember now. Just didnt see the feet then. Well, your home and soon up and running:thumb:

No idea what that means, but I hope you are ok.

2 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Pfff, more like you bought new speakers without telling the Mrs.

IMG_6924.jpg
An update to my cabinetry. I've tossed the old tv unit and looking around for something new. Problem is I think my speakers are now a bit too far apart. Maybe my ears just need to get used to the new setup.

4 minutes ago, 943 said:

IMG_6924.jpg
An update to my cabinetry. I've tossed the old tv unit and looking around for something new. Problem is I think my speakers are now a bit too far apart. Maybe my ears just need to get used to the new setup.

Toe them in mate. Those speakers, that distance. I would prefer to just see the inside (or less) of both speakers inner sides.

Ohh and the left speaker seems to be further away from the wall then the right.

Edited by Wimbo

I have the same speakers which look to be a similar distance apart, or perhaps somewhat less. Mine would be about 2.3 metres apart and I have them toed in but not to any huge degree. They sound better balanced with medium toe in.

Fantastic speakers too, mine will never be sold, although I do have other speakers in use also.

Edited by rantan

Toe them in mate. Those speakers, that distance. I would prefer to just see the inside (or less) of both speakers inner sides.
Ohh and the left speaker seems to be further away from the wall then the right.

They're both the same distance from the wall - optical illusion as the downlight above the right speaker is out and it's a bit darker over there.

I'll give them a bit of extra toe in - thanks for the suggestion. I'll see how it goes.

Can I ask - if you've got PM1s too, how do you maintain the rubberised coating on top? I just dust with a damp cloth but it's starting to feel a little tacky. I might send a note to B&W to ask for advice too. Speakers are never in direct sunlight.

1 minute ago, 943 said:

Can I ask - if you've got PM1s too, how do you maintain the rubberised coating on top? I just dust with a damp cloth but it's starting to feel a little tacky. I might send a note to B&W to ask for advice too. Speakers are never in direct sunlight.

I always use a fine weave microfibre cloth and if there is a little bit more dust than usual, I use a soft paint brush ,which (obviously ) is not used for anything else. try moderate toe in first. I really don't think they are as good with pronounced toe in, it tends to collapse the imaging and staging.

13 hours ago, 943 said:

IMG_6924.jpg

Have a look at the shelving  I made, in my system thread, it works great.

This will get me banned from this forum.

bcb1016c2f61836632fa226537173f6e.jpg

at work and client brought in a $120 JBL bluetooth Flip4

Music that fills a large hard space nicely, Incredible bass from such a small unit. we’ve had large PA speakers, active monitors, passives and none fill a space and sounded as good as this.

who needs thousands of dollars of audio gear?

3 hours ago, misternavi said:

This will get me banned from this forum.

bcb1016c2f61836632fa226537173f6e.jpg

at work and client brought in a $120 JBL bluetooth Flip4

Music that fills a large hard space nicely, Incredible bass from such a small unit. we’ve had large PA speakers, active monitors, passives and none fill a space and sounded as good as this.

who needs thousands of dollars of audio gear?

The little tackers give out amazing sound for their size don't they? Even their volume is impressive.

On 11/05/2018 at 10:21 AM, JukKluk2 said:

Here ya go:

May 11, 2018 035.JPG

PFFFT!!! That's nothing I had an ingrown toe nail the other day that nearly killed me.

???

Edited by BATMAQN