System three is based around the TV. Oppo 93SE, DIY;- tube preamp with three inputs, 180W Class D power amp and 12” Concentric Beymas in ported box (96db efficient).

An electronic Xover at 100hz connects to a 175W 12” stubby behind the screen. 

293225A1-8394-4D48-BCE5-5D06E754BD04.jpeg

My very modest system last night, in a less than ideal room.

I've been battling with a very bright SQ the last weeks, and not particularly enjoying the sound very much, but I realised I've been playing this Pioneer vintage amp at very low levels. I know these little Missions can handle a lot more than they've been being asked of late, too.

While the wifey and child were out with the dog, I took the opportunity to crank up my vinyl 1st press copy of Cold Chisel's 'Twentieth Century', and the track 'Saturday Night'. Ahhhh....now that was *much* better. Still a little bright, but the power of that song, at that level, wiped away a lot of doubts.

It's funny: when you're single, living alone, your volume setting and music choices are often quite different. Sometimes you need to go back to that feeling, if only temporarily, to know what is possible with the sound.

Photo 25-4-19, 9 01 03 pm.jpg

On 25/04/2019 at 11:27 AM, awayward said:

Just DIY made of MDF, still unpainted, the v at the bottom use to be the top for more regular speaker cables, for the Lenehan cables I turned them over and cut some slots, too easy.

E595A5D7-44A9-4A00-A8BC-9354B2B9944E.jpeg

My homemade cable lifters!

image.png.5a85f4ad2e2b7868c89719c644ef06ed.png

image.png.6371e3317f4c2556c786085913166bb8.png

1 minute ago, Luc said:

Ahhhhh!

19 minutes ago, Luc said:

What a coincidence, I originally made my lifters for the Tellurium Q blue speaker cables.

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

I've been battling with a very bright SQ the last weeks, and not particularly enjoying the sound very much, but I realised I've been playing this Pioneer vintage amp at very low levels. I know these little Missions can handle a lot more than they've been being asked of late, too.

While the wifey and child were out with the dog, I took the opportunity to crank up my vinyl 1st press copy of Cold Chisel's 'Twentieth Century', and the track 'Saturday Night'. Ahhhh....now that was *much* better. Still a little bright, but the power of that song, at that level, wiped away a lot of doubts.

It's funny: when you're single, living alone, your volume setting and music choices are often quite different. Sometimes you need to go back to that feeling, if only temporarily, to know what is possible with the sound.

Which TT is that?

41 minutes ago, joz said:

Which TT is that?

Pioneer PL-50L.

2 hours ago, candyflip said:

Vintage receiver for amplification? 

6 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Vintage receiver for amplification? 

Yessir.

This one :  https://classicreceivers.com/pioneer-sx-3700 

He gives it quite a mild reception - there are plenty of others I've read that LOVE the thing (like me).

It's got plenty of power - so much more than the quoted watts, as per so many vintages of this type.

@candyflip  Absolutely nothing, nothing at all to dislike with the big receivers is there, be they Pioneer/Sansui/Marantz/Technics ect. The 70's and very early 80's models nailed it in terms of  hifi sex appeal.

Posted (edited)

I’ve had these amplifiers for several years now and have always had them located halfway between the stand and the left and right speakers

On Thursday for no reason I shifted them in next to the stand

Cant believe how improved the aesthetics are

On Friday I remembered reading years ago that the speakers didn’t need to be toed in because of the design so I turned the speakers from facing in to  being straight ahead

KEF XQ40’s

And now on the left music seems to  coming from up to a meter beyond the speaker

Its a bit disconcerting but it sounds better

I think

0CEF5BF9-1B2F-42BC-BD2A-C60F1FFF0516.jpeg

Edited by keyse1

Mrs and kids on a shopping mission. Chores achieved and time for a sit in the mess with a beer for once and hit a few tunes

47f534058a8d1d1982e2ab24e2380ff8.jpg

Posted (edited)

@Pieface

Sweet, What gear do you have there mate?

Edited by Pops110

[mention=133926]Pieface[/mention]
Sweet, What gear do you have there mate?
Marantz cd75 hiding down the rack into some parasound classic separates and onto some Swedish Audio Pro speakers. Pretty well made things with decent vifa drivers and a fairly solid build.

I have an Aaron sw400 doing the sub 80Hz lifting and it all integrates nicely to do the HT side of things too.

All very modest but gets the job done when I get a chance to sit down!

On 27/04/2019 at 11:12 PM, Pieface said:

Marantz cd75 hiding down the rack into some parasound classic separates and onto some Swedish Audio Pro speakers. Pretty well made things with decent vifa drivers and a fairly solid build.

I have an Aaron sw400 doing the sub 80Hz lifting and it all integrates nicely to do the HT side of things too.

All very modest but gets the job done when I get a chance to sit down!

Audio pro speakers are great, I used to have a sub from their range years ago. They had active subs in a pair of their floor standers that I wanted but couldn't stretch that far.