We have pet yabbies at home (for kids). Today one escaped from their home and my wife couldn’t find it anywhere. My son suggested maybe have a check daddy’s listening room.  Here we go, an audiophile yabbie 😆🦞 

41F2DC99-81C9-45A0-889D-8DE9FC5C2241.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 8
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one addition to the system - plenty of time to enjoy during lockdown.      

My current system!         Recorded handheld on my iphone with inbuilt microphone...so take it with a big dose of salt.

solace away from the girls  

7 hours ago, TDX said:

We have pet yabbies at home (for kids). Today one escaped from their home and my wife couldn’t find it anywhere. My son suggested maybe have a check daddy’s listening room.  Here we go, an audiophile yabbie 😆🦞 

My wife brought home a blue tongue lizard they were keeping at her school as a pet. It was school hols and we were baby sitting it. I’d had a few blue tongue lizards as pets as a kid so no big deal. One day it got out and we couldn’t find it in the house for two days. One night while in bed we could hear it moving under our bed. Well at least we found it. If it had died it would have really stunk. Probably the same as your yabbie. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

These are not mine but I do remember seeing them in the local Tandy store which I would visit almost daily. 

Does anyone have a pair not that I am interested in buying a pair just inquisitive? And if you do have how do they compare to similar size speakers today. Please don’t say “not bad” which is the common answer everyone seems to give when asked how something sounds. 

And if you do have a pair how about posting an image. 

DBDD6D0C-C1B5-431B-B88D-2DFC5C913C7D.jpeg

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

These are not mine but I do remember seeing them in the local Tandy store which I would visit almost daily. 

Does anyone have a pair not that I am interested in buying a pair just inquisitive? And if you do have how do they compare to similar size speakers today. Please don’t say “not bad” which is the common answer everyone seems to give when asked how something sounds. 

And if you do have a pair how about posting an image. 

DBDD6D0C-C1B5-431B-B88D-2DFC5C913C7D.jpeg

Interesting, is that a four-way? Wonder about sensitivity rating...

• Like 1

On 05/02/2021 at 6:06 AM, Fro said:

New Audioquest Niagara 5000 and a few AQ power cords.
Because you can never have enough clean, quiet power!

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

OOohh...so snakey.. i like!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Interesting, is that a four-way? Wonder about sensitivity rating...

Three way I think. The speaker at the top is from something else. 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 9:18 PM, mwhouston said:

Looking for a wifi device to stream Tidal. Don’t need a DAC or a ripper just a streamer which has an imbedded Tidal. 

I have been looking for the same thing for a friend, and the price of entry seems high for even basic units, project stream box, lindemann lime tree are just over 1k, or you could get a bluesound node 2i for about 900 and use its spdif output. There are heaps more options but the price goes up rapidly! 
I am interested if other folks have any suggestions I have missed.

Justin

Looking for a wifi device to stream Tidal. Don’t need a DAC or a ripper just a streamer which has an imbedded Tidal. 

14 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

I have been looking for the same thing for a friend, and the price of entry seems high for even basic units, project stream box, lindemann lime tree are just over 1k, or you could get a bluesound node 2i for about 900 and use its spdif output. There are heaps more options but the price goes up rapidly! 
I am interested if other folks have any suggestions I have missed.

Justin

The Yamaha WXC50 can be had for under $450 new. Bluesound node 2i's go in the used market for around $700-750, and the older version (node 2) can be had for even less. A used Auralic Aries mini (no longer in production) can be had for around $500-600. A used Auralic Aries Femto (which I own) can be had for a bit over $1000.

If you are handy with computers, and don't mind tinkering around a bit, a raspberry pi might also be worth looking into for not much money

Hi Marc ,

I had a Denon Heos link with digital going into an external dac ( Qutest ) . Can be had for around 500 or cheaper used.

5 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I wonder how these image. Any guesses

No idea...still working out how anyone would dust those speakers, maybe become friends with a NBL player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 16/02/2021 at 5:20 PM, mwhouston said:

Live the look of your Zu(s). Model? 

They are the Omen Def with Radian tweeter upgrade. 👍

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Not mine. Neat and complete. Speakers look interesting. Anyone know make/model? 

479BED70-3105-4E2D-9270-CBC33A41EE32.jpeg

Polk SDA2 or something like that.

• Like 1

Wow that is a lovely room - the speakers remind me of faces - I would have to call one Wall-E & the other Eve........😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you are right. These were/are on ebay. I see the bottom driver is not! It’s a passive radiator. 

65184C59-B216-404F-957B-E5C182C820EC.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Moderators
On 17/02/2021 at 12:11 PM, mwhouston said:

I wonder how these image. Any guesses?

Just the speakers for the time all the toddlers from the mother's group come for a play. They'd have a driver each😃

• Like 1

Trying the Funk Achromat out, in Rega white.......will get a spin later , now at Frank Prowse here in Perth in many pretty colours 👍

F0A2950D-6BF9-4ABB-B604-2E73B594F1A9.jpeg

B4B73DFC-4026-4951-A4C0-92B2D9DBAA09.jpeg

• Like 7
48 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Trying the Funk Achromat out, in Rega white.......will get a spin later , now at Frank Prowse here in Perth in many pretty colours 👍

What is the combo? TT and Rega arm? 

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

What is the combo? TT and Rega arm? 

Rega P9, RB1000 arm and AT OC9.... still a newbie with TT

• Like 2
On 20/02/2021 at 12:01 PM, mwhouston said:

Not mine. Neat and complete. Speakers look interesting. Anyone know make/model? 

479BED70-3105-4E2D-9270-CBC33A41EE32.jpeg

Polk Monitor 10B's I think.

• Like 1
On 11/02/2021 at 12:19 AM, TDX said:

Were you playing B52's Rock Lobster by any chance? He's probs just rockin out! 😜

• Haha 3
17 hours ago, Mendes said:

How do you find the OC9?

I'm looking at carts at about this kind of money on my RP40/RB303. 

Wouldn't mind your comments on how this one is going.

Cheers, Steve

Edited by Winno
2 minutes ago, Winno said:

How do you find the OC9?

I'm looking at carts at about this kind of money on my RP40/RB330. 

Wouldn't mind your comments on how this one is going.

Cheers, Steve

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/audio-technica-oc9xeb-moving-coil-cartridge

Hi Steve,

This cart was recommended to me for my TT by a very knowledgeable friend who has been in the game for many years, now retired.

I wanted to spend much more but he talked me into this cart and I could not be happier.

An upgrade will be coming down the track to see what all the fuss is about with other carts, but this is very good bang for the buck and has been impressive to date albeit my first venture to the dark side.

A very dynamic cart for the bucks.

Hope this helps....🙏

Cheers

Steve

2 minutes ago, Mendes said:

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/audio-technica-oc9xeb-moving-coil-cartridge

Hi Steve,

This cart was recommended to me for my TT by a very knowledgeable friend who has been in the game for many years, now retired.

I wanted to spend much more but he talked me into this cart and I could not be happier.

An upgrade will be coming down the track to see what all the fuss is about with other carts, but this is very good bang for the buck and has been impressive to date albeit my first venture to the dark side.

A very dynamic cart for the bucks.

Hope this helps....🙏

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Food for thought for sure.

A friend of mine rated his old OC7 very highly and I've often wondered if a step up to the next model was worth considering.

Cheers.

• Like 1
On 09/02/2021 at 11:59 AM, Sansui77 said:

Haven't heard the 40.2. I would say they would be similar to the Spendor S100's - SP100's which I have heard. These SHL5P's came up for a deal of the year and I couldn't resist. They're also bigger than you may think and the Skylan stands are a must, expecally having them sand or rice filled. I'm pretty done with speakers and these are keepers for sure. They have fantastic mid bass / midrange which is very important to me because it's the hardest part to get right. I haven't tried them on my AU-111 tube integrated yet but I reckon it could be even more magic. 

I have heard the SHL5's and own the 40.2's, of course rooms confines will determine which is most suitable for your needs, but the 40.2's are noticeably better. And they'd want to be given the difference in RRP!

Also, don't sell yourself short on the skylan stands. While they are good, the Ton Trager stands wipe the floor with them. They are quite simply a non-negotiable!

8 hours ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

I have heard the SHL5's and own the 40.2's, of course rooms confines will determine which is most suitable for your needs, but the 40.2's are noticeably better. And they'd want to be given the difference in RRP!

Also, don't sell yourself short on the skylan stands. While they are good, the Ton Trager stands wipe the floor with them. They are quite simply a non-negotiable!

Interesting how they use the term "Reference Stands". Reference to what? I couldn't find any info regarding this?

My Skylan stands weigh around 10kgs compared to the Ton Tracer stands at 2.79kgs. Imo, the Skylan stands also look nicer as well. They have both top aborbsion pads as well as bottom spikes and can be filled to dampen them. I'm very happy with my
purchase ☺️

Currently running the mosfet and she sound sublime with the Harbeths.

488965160_PXL_20210220_0751528072.thumb.jpg.b796542fadf4a52e54c28b80d8aa2081.jpg

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sansui77 said:

Interesting how they use the term "Reference Stands". Reference to what? I couldn't find any info regarding this?

My Skylan stands weigh around 10kgs compared to the Ton Tracer stands at 2.79kgs. Imo, the Skylan stands also look nicer as well. They have both top aborbsion pads as well as bottom spikes and can be filled to dampen them. I'm very happy with my
purchase ☺️

Currently running the mosfet and she sound sublime with the Harbeths.

488965160_PXL_20210220_0751528072.thumb.jpg.b796542fadf4a52e54c28b80d8aa2081.jpg

Don’t settle on the stands yet! 

Also, Harbeth’s play best with tubes. Well designed SS Class A next in line. 

I am looking forward to hearing them with my class A tube amp. At 45wrms a channel, should be a nice match. Harbeth and most British speakers like to be driven with amps with power to spare. The AU-1111 MOS Vintage is one well designed amp with unbelievable built quality with top notch components. 

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 1