Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

@misternavi would be interesting if your power amp improves things via the preout. Could be left on and hidden and be best of both worlds?

I'm going to try it!
But right now we can turn on the amp via the remote. I'm not a person who like to leave things on as it's not like it sounds better always on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one addition to the system - plenty of time to enjoy during lockdown.      

My current system!         Recorded handheld on my iphone with inbuilt microphone...so take it with a big dose of salt.

solace away from the girls  

3 minutes ago, misternavi said:

I'm going to try it!
But right now we can turn on the amp via the remote. I'm not a person who like to leave things on as it's not like it sounds better always on. 

Yep, I am much the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned in my previous post...  latest arrivals...  

...  picked up these yesterday, for the princely sum of $50, on Gumtree...

 

Energy Speaker Systems

Connoisseur Series

C-5

Canadian design, Chinese build.

IMG_2021-01-28-11-19-17-595.jpg.c73d07500d98224db7322c87c8c7950e.jpg

 

IMG_2021-01-28-11-15-46-091.jpg.ae88c5dc810494db81274c4d46066e27.jpg

In fantastic condition...  from a similar aged, fellow metal head, and bass player.

Very nice sound and look...  lacking the presence of higher end speakers, of course... but I'd have been happy to pay $200 to $300 after hearing them.

 

Apologies to @MattyW, for my erroneous attempt at a hostile takeover of his thread.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

As mentioned in my previous post...  latest arrivals...  

...  picked up these yesterday, for the princely sum of $50, on Gumtree...

 

Energy Speaker Systems

Connoisseur Series

C-5

Canadian design, Chinese build.

IMG_2021-01-28-11-19-17-595.jpg.c73d07500d98224db7322c87c8c7950e.jpg

 

IMG_2021-01-28-11-15-46-091.jpg.ae88c5dc810494db81274c4d46066e27.jpg

In fantastic condition...  from a similar aged, fellow metal head, and bass player.

Very nice sound and look...  lacking the presence of higher end speakers, of course... but I'd have been happy to pay $200 to $300 after hearing them.

 

Apologies to @MattyW, for my erroneous attempt at a hostile takeover of his thread.

 

Lol, I think you may be mixed up with my thread.... Which has the same subject line  :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


@MattyW

 

How can this be your posts when the only gratuitous pics are buzzzfuzzz’s ? (Tic - and note I’m only whinging because your link wouldn’t work on my iPad and I haven’t heard or seen your system..)

Edited by Ray H
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ray H said:

@MattyW

 

How can this be your posts when the only gratuitous pics are buzzzfuzzz’s ? (Tic - and note I’m only whinging because your link wouldn’t work on my iPad and I haven’t heard or seen your system..)

It's a Google Drive share. You get to download a big arse MP4 file. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray H said:

 

How can this be your posts when the only gratuitous pics are buzzzfuzzz’s ?

'twas my mistake...  I posted on Matty W's thread first.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


On 24/01/2021 at 5:20 PM, awayward said:


Painting my music room, going from whitish to grey, three shades of grey in the end, behind the system will be a very dark grey. I’m trying to minimise music down time, finished rear of room last week, left side in progress, Tuesday I’ll start the ceiling over the system, front and right walls, so no music for a few days. Acoustic treatment is a bit right dominant at the moment, just sounds a bit brighter than normal.

I’ll be glad when the painting is finished.

 

2A0DE849-12D4-4BDE-875E-2F1C51B3D78C.jpeg

I thought in was finally finished today, but the dark grey wall still has some shadows, so a third coat in the morning. As an experiment I have also covered one of my broadband acoustic panels in black speaker grill cloth, I think it looks great, so 9 more to cover.

 

60652E71-92D7-4F35-97DE-48D87D588C23.jpeg

24DAB25F-15AA-4072-B5E2-0C14AD37A9EF.jpeg

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites


On 19/12/2020 at 12:17 PM, Fro said:

It just keeps growing.
New REL 212SE sub and Dragon cables!

 

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

 

 

New Audioquest Niagara 5000 and a few AQ power cords.
Because you can never have enough clean, quiet power!

 

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

Edited by Fro
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites


My system today.  Extremely happy with it. Thinking of adding a tube pre down the track. These Harbeths are something.

512790876_PXL_20210206_0832156572.thumb.jpg.cda23c031e3fe4bab99d0651327a4a14.jpg

 

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

My system today.  Extremely happy with it. Thinking of adding a tube pre down the track. These Harbeths are something.

512790876_PXL_20210206_0832156572.thumb.jpg.cda23c031e3fe4bab99d0651327a4a14.jpg

 

Not sure which model you have but a friends 40.2s are really excellent. They are current hungry and a big SS amp is required. But agree with you 100% a tube preamp is the way to go. Best of both world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2021 at 5:39 PM, awayward said:

I thought in was finally finished today, but the dark grey wall still has some shadows, so a third coat in the morning. As an experiment I have also covered one of my broadband acoustic panels in black speaker grill cloth, I think it looks great, so 9 more to cover.

 

60652E71-92D7-4F35-97DE-48D87D588C23.jpeg

24DAB25F-15AA-4072-B5E2-0C14AD37A9EF.jpeg

Everything is back in position after my DIY painting, and today I finished re-covering the panels black, I was amazed at how much the four panels improved the sound when I put them back up.

Unfortunately in a few weeks I’ll have to move all the equipment out so new carpet can be laid 😬

 

7531803A-B222-4041-ABA9-8FD099DBCE74.jpeg

  • Like 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, awayward said:

Everything is back in position after my DIY painting, and today I finished re-covering the panels black, I was amazed at how much the four panels improved the sound when I put them back up.

Unfortunately in a few weeks I’ll have to move all the equipment out so new carpet can be laid 😬

 

7531803A-B222-4041-ABA9-8FD099DBCE74.jpeg

That looks so lush and nice - the colouring is so calm and relaxing. What colour carpet will you put down?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, April Snow said:

That looks so lush and nice - the colouring is so calm and relaxing. What colour carpet will you put down?

Thanks for the compliment on my colour selection, and the Mrs didn’t have any input, it’s my man cave 😀

I’ll probably stay with grey, I haven’t been looking yet to see what’s available, but perhaps a little darker grey than the lighter grey on the side walls.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, awayward said:

Thanks for the compliment on my colour selection, and the Mrs didn’t have any input, it’s my man cave 😀

I’ll probably stay with grey, I haven’t been looking yet to see what’s available, but perhaps a little darker grey than the lighter grey on the side walls.

 

What is the issue with the current carpet? Worn out a bit? Because I reckon it looks excellent with the new wall colours.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevoz said:

 

What is the issue with the current carpet? Worn out a bit? Because I reckon it looks excellent with the new wall colours.

Yes very worn out, and I knew it was going to be replaced so I wasn’t very careful about paint getting on it. But now you mentioned it, the blue does look good in the photo 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, awayward said:

Yes very worn out, and I knew it was going to be replaced so I wasn’t very careful about paint getting on it. But now you mentioned it, the blue does look good in the photo 🤔

I thought the same - which is odd because normally blue would not go with that colour & I am a colour coordination fanatic, but somehow it builds a little bit of drama and adds warmth - wonder if you get something similar to the blue tone in the photos with some flecks of Grey to tie it together. You could always get a potted palm/plant in the same shade of blue to put in the room so it pulls it together........... it really does look lovely - my house is all black/white/grey but I would be very happy in that room.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I thought the same - which is odd because normally blue would not go with that colour & I am a colour coordination fanatic, but somehow it builds a little bit of drama and adds warmth - wonder if you get something similar to the blue tone in the photos with some flecks of Grey to tie it together. You could always get a potted palm/plant in the same shade of blue to put in the room so it pulls it together........... it really does look lovely - my house is all black/white/grey but I would be very happy in that room.

Thank you for your opinion and suggestions, carpet other than grey will add a nice contrast if done right, or as you said a blue and grey might work nicely. I think I will need to bring some colour swatches home to get it right, and I thought I had it all decided this morning 🤔

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, awayward said:

Thank you for your opinion and suggestions, carpet other than grey will add a nice contrast if done right, or as you said a blue and grey might work nicely. I think I will need to bring some colour swatches home to get it right, and I thought I had it all decided this morning 🤔

Wish I was there, that really is my Jam !! Love interior decorating ...........I cannot wait to see what you pick 🙂

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2021 at 9:54 PM, artaudio said:

All DIY, 10 mono amplifiers 

 

All measurements are taken from the Listening position, the distortion measurements are amazing when you think these are from the Listening position and not near field. Check out the waterfall plot its very clean down to 100Hz with almost constant delay. Still have a bit of a peak in the bass but not too bad. Van Morrison never sounded better. Note I’ve reduced the tweeter level to reduce the rise you see in the graph above 2K

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

23-01-2021 Frequency Responce at Listening position .png1561529630_HarmonicDistortion124.thumb.png.3ebef3334607efa4247166cfbf14fbed.png


 

FFT Waterfall 1:6 Oct.png

 

On 23/01/2021 at 9:54 PM, artaudio said:

All DIY, 10 mono amplifiers 

 

All measurements are taken from the Listening position, the distortion measurements are amazing when you think these are from the Listening position and not near field. Check out the waterfall plot its very clean down to 100Hz with almost constant delay. Still have a bit of a peak in the bass but not too bad. Van Morrison never sounded better. Note I’ve reduced the tweeter level to reduce the rise you see in the graph above 2K

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

23-01-2021 Frequency Responce at Listening position .png1561529630_HarmonicDistortion124.thumb.png.3ebef3334607efa4247166cfbf14fbed.png


 

FFT Waterfall 1:6 Oct.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to some good ol' metal. The cart is a Gradostein. Half grado, half AT. The body is a Grado Blue Mk2. The cantilever is off a Audio Technica AT150MLX. It is a SENSATIONAL SOUNDING cart!. Best I've heard MM or MC. Thanks to a mate on here for doing it. 

 

MYSystemToday080221-1.thumb.jpg.9f05bfbe75783d74689b97b302b1c571.jpg

MYSystemToday080221-2.thumb.jpg.fabf7a436de4e55a1e9c3a5ab4d24fdf.jpgMYSystemToday080221-4.thumb.jpg.8e02dd9969c6f0310ac15ae0ec3c9847.jpg

MYSystemToday080221-3.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@Sansui77 I have to ask, are they 40.2's or SHL5P's????

SHL5 plus'

 

The 40.2' would be too big for my room.

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

SHL5 plus'

 

The 40.2' would be too big for my room.

Great speakers mate ;) Did you audition the 40.2's? I've heard the SHL5P's but yet to hear the 40.2's. I've read they are quite a different sound. I loved the pluses.

Edited by blakey72
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Great speakers mate ;) Did you audition the 40.2's? I've heard the SHL5P's but yet to hear the 40.2's. I've read they are quite a different sound. I loved the pluses.

Haven't heard the 40.2. I would say they would be similar to the Spendor S100's - SP100's which I have heard. These SHL5P's came up for a deal of the year and I couldn't resist. They're also bigger than you may think and the Skylan stands are a must, expecally having them sand or rice filled. I'm pretty done with speakers and these are keepers for sure. They have fantastic mid bass / midrange which is very important to me because it's the hardest part to get right. I haven't tried them on my AU-111 tube integrated yet but I reckon it could be even more magic. 

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sansui77 They certainly sre a magic speaker. My wife was with me and doesn't usually have an opinion on hifi gear. She actually said the SHL5P'S sounded beautiful 😳

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@Sansui77 They certainly sre a magic speaker. My wife was with me and doesn't usually have an opinion on hifi gear. She actually said the SHL5P'S sounded beautiful 😳

They certainly have that magic feel to them that just keeps you engaged and not getting bored. I've heard some systems lately that cost a lot more and they just don't have that sinergy.

 

As you know the design has been around since the late 60's but now perfected and with more SPL output. The new 8" radial mid bass driver puts out some serious bass as well but they're so bl##dy addictive. Next stage is the most important, room treatment - accoustics.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

Haven't heard the 40.2. I would say they would be similar to the Spendor S100's - SP100's which I have heard. These SHL5P's came up for a deal of the year and I couldn't resist. They're also bigger than you may think and the Skylan stands are a must, expecally having them sand or rice filled. I'm pretty done with speakers and these are keepers for sure. They have fantastic mid bass / midrange which is very important to me because it's the hardest part to get right. I haven't tried them on my AU-111 tube integrated yet but I reckon it could be even more magic. 

 

The Spendors, despite being a almost identical design suffer from a upper midrange çuppyness , for want of a better term, to vocals compared to the Harbeth's.

I put that down mainly to the Polyproplyene used in the Spendors drivers.

Harbeth got a UK Gov't grant to develop the material they use in the midrange unit, and have refined it over the years..... apart from brilliant crossover design, that material makes all the difference.

You get to hear much more of the microdynamics from them, every nuance is revealed but in a way that is not hyper detailed, everything is in balance.

 

Probably the best after sales service on the planet if anything does go amiss with one of these drivers as well.

 

I had one of the drivers glue let go from the spider to the basket, I tried unsuccessfully to fix it myself.[must of been a 20+ year old SHL5's ]

I tried contacting the current OZ distributor in getting a replacement driver, but got no reply, so in frustration contacted Harbeth directly.

They asked me for the numbers on the back of the driver, and could trace it back to exactly what version of that driver was in my speakers.

They replied that they didn't have any of that particular cone material in stock ATM, but would make a batch up to replace mine.

That's the beauty of making your own drivers in house.

It took a while to get [about four and a half months], and they were sort of embarrassed about it, what with the situation with the no reply from the OZ distributor and other delays, so ended up just charging me for the driver and they copped the shipping costs to OZ.

 

Like you, I found LONG ago these are speakers for life.

 

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...