My System Today

5 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Just playing some Dire Straits albums this morning and took this pic below. I also got a great gift yesterday, a Beatles platter cover to keep the glass clean on the Bardo. thanks John @scuzzii:thumb:

System 13.9.20.JPG

Beatles - platter cover.JPG

Beatles - Platter cover 2.JPG

What is the speaker setup Keith? Is it a bookshelf on top of a sub or is that the speaker design? If so those bookshelves look damn deep ?

6 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

What is the speaker setup Keith? Is it a bookshelf on top of a sub or is that the speaker design? If so those bookshelves look damn deep ?

The two way head units are sealed enclosures and I guess you achieve internal volume where you can. They are passive and the 10” Lorantz active bass bins are also sealed enclosures. You could say they are two way standmounts with subs, but they are more like a three way loudspeaker.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

On 13/09/2020 at 7:15 PM, 2Brix said:

hey @Sansui77 what speakers are those?

DIY 4 way with passive radiators. Incorporating Seas, Alpair & SB Acoustics. The speaker cabinet resonance is dead and well built, one of the best I've seen as a diy. They sound fantastic. Frequency response 26Hz - 25KHz.

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

I've noticed it's a name that is referred to frequently, particularly around audio shows...  and that she's loved and loathed by many.

True !! :D 

Personally I'm just not a fan of the whole giving songs the slow sleepy "audiophile" treatment.

That said I do like good recordings but tend to prefer music where the artist tries to do something more interesting with the music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

I'm currently listening to Dianna Krall for the first time in my life.  Before SNA I would never have listened, let alone enjoyed this.  It sounds wonderful ( flac ).

:-) Years ago I would only play her, under sufferance, to keep my beloved happy and I thought she (Dianna) was pretty dreadful.   Then as my system quality improved, so seemingly did Dianna. 

I really came to like a few of her albums. She is always well recorded and the close miking is really quite intimate and highlights her luscious phrasing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lx4man said:

For every day the mrs is overseas the house slowly dissolves a little more in gear ! I dont think she would return if she seen this ......or the bedroom ?

20200913_183322.jpg

just tell her you picked them up at a garage sale. take 2 zeros off the price and that you”ll make a profit  when you sell.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

G'day Folks.

Stepping into this thread anxiously...  among so many fine systems.

I was going to post a few days ago, opened the thread and found Chanh was the previous post...  no thanks...  not posting straight after that one, no way in hell!!!

Loving mwhouston's minimal and DIY approach...  and Wolverine's Mc Intosh display.

Sjay's big black thumpers...  and well, everything else about that pic.  The fresh prince, dwbasement and pop's beautiful tubes... I've never heard tubes, but still get a warm feeling just looking at them.

Mendes, Cheekyboy ( you or the hound? ), and Grizzly...  just awesome guys.

I agree with stevoz on two points...  you can never have too many speakers but it sure helps to be single... and Tasebass' Rotels are my dream amplifier.

Since joining SNA I've learned much, I've heard two very nice systems of other members in Canberra, and taken the first few, modest steps up the audio ladder...  with a Music Hall TT, phono stage and new ( 2nd hand ) Rotel amp.

I've taken the plunge into DIY speakers, stands and two racks for Hi Fi & TV.

036.JPG.b4cf23c40ac6322cd3ebeb2f5d87fee8.JPG

TV is not a priority here, but there is a freshly painted, 3 shelf rack nearing completion.

I'm listening to the orange, 2 way, Tip Shop speakers, with extra, smaller bass drivers on stands next to the set of drawers.  Replaced the Hokutone drivers with Sony's and the tweeters with AR's.  Using a 2 way AR crossover for the cabinet drivers.

They sound pretty good.  The cabinets are sealed and the bass is fat...  just how I like it.  The extra drivers are nothing special...  not actually marked... . so you can guess the quality there.  I will soon have some nice drivers to play around with.

The other two pair of speakers are the black / grey Sony's and white Technics...  all three pair have been re-furbished, none are finished, and all have to come apart for completion.

I'm thinking of making a new baffle for the Sony's...  thick enough to bring the drivers flush.  I like the 'Metal' theme, and nod to Cerwin Vega, but a less 'half pulled apart' look wouldn't go astray.

The Technics crossovers were upgraded by tubularbells and sound big and open.  They just have to be painted...  that's the undercoat, which I like very much.  They were going to be black with a charcoal front, but now they will be gloss white.

I am making stands for all speakers.

039.JPG.dd1003a127b37ae37af74b95af37276b.JPG

040.JPG.216ac34ff239d90aca312c6cff405329.JPG

It's not about how much we spend...  but I guess it's relative...  I spend as much as I can afford too.

One of the many things I respect this forum for, is the diversity of members, music and eqiupment.

don’t worry, DIY guys a well respected.

keep posting what you make. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, misternavi said:

just tell her you picked them up at a garage sale. take 2 zeros off the price and that you”ll make a profit  when you sell.

Wouldn't that be too much of a a risk of putting ideas into her head... ?? ?

3 hours ago, Martykt said:

Don't know if I can condone the Diana Krall but expanding one's musical horizons in this little hobby can be a great thing. :D 

Quality female jazz singers will test any system for transparency and clarity. And will sooth your ache for musical lust. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Quality female jazz singers will test any system for transparency and clarity. And will sooth your ache for musical lust. 

Not necessarily.

Usually they are very good recordings and being light jazz can be an easy test and sound good on most systems so won't necessarily tell you how good a system is.

Where they can be useful for testing for transparency and clarity is if they happen to have well recorded instruments with a lot of texture especially piano which has a lot of complexity in the sound.

Also a track that has a lot going on in the production can be a good test.

Nothing against female jazz singers either.

It's just when you compare what the "audiophile" female jazz singers are doing compared to singers like really talented singers like Nina Simone or Billy Holiday the "audiophile" singers just don't have much substance.

Just my opinion mind you. :)

• Like 5

My 6AS7 SET is off doing a full health check from the amp guy. I got a 6EM7 push and pull courtesy amp until my amp is back...

Sound - not as nice as SET.

Power - 6WPC just enough to drive my speakers.

Tubes - 4 x 6EM7 symmetric design with GZ34 rectifier.

Amp weight - almost 1/3 of the 6AS7.

20200914_104251.jpg

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

My 6AS7 SET is off doing a full health check from the amp guy. I got a 6EM7 push and pull courtesy amp until my amp is back...

Sound - not as nice as SET.

Power - 6WPC just enough to drive my speakers.

Tubes - 4 x 6EM7 symmetric design with GZ34 rectifier.

Amp weight - almost 1/3 of the 6AS7.

20200914_104251.jpg

Built amps with both tubes but both SETs. Both very good tubes not sure if I could pick a fav. Currently back on my wine box 2W 6L6 SE UL which I think is absolutely dreamy but without either of the others around hard to compare. 

74BEB2F3-3603-4690-882D-B10BC4B63F87.jpeg

• Like 2

Accidental tweak;

You have seen my temp setup in my main listening area with this DIY wine box 2W 6L6 SE UL  amp and high efficiency Beyma concentrics before.  Usually the speakers are placed just in front of the horns (not being used here) but we wanted to watch a movies and where the wife sits the speakers were blocking her view. So I moved them to outside the horns and toed them in. 

The increase is imaging (which this amp has always done well) and staging was at a whole new level. Forget the speakers they have vanished completely and a precise image appears in the centre along with the big sound stage.  Had the wife not wanted to sit off one side where the speakers blocked her view I would never had setup the speakers like this. Accidental tweak.  

E8DBDDD1-5FC2-4681-B32D-859CBB6D6DE1.jpeg

71721A47-A336-4C39-A571-2084ED0C6E8A.jpeg

• Like 7

Over the past few weeks got a speaker upgrade. Also simplified my audio rack to reduce clutter!!

Sound clips recorded handheld on my iPhone. Piano instrumental and Vivaldi four seasons.

Listening Room 11.jpg

Edited by BugleBoy
Added a video link
  • Like 18
  • Love 1

On 13/09/2020 at 6:12 PM, misternavi said:

I thought I’m the only one doing this!

To Top