My System Today

6 hours ago, Chanh said:

I will say, the red is much more impressive. It has that magic when over indulgent, this modest setup sounds fantastic. Most of all, much more affordable compare to upgrade the gears. ?    

As for "Make and model", 

Yeah I agree, my system has 50% increase after reds or beers. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Wow thanks Chanh, you just turned my little Logitech computer speakers into Magicos! Awesome spaciousness, timbre and claret-y!

Thanks @BioBrian
 A recording from iPhone might not be best compare to real first hand auditioning experience. 
Hope you can have a listen whenever your over West. 

7 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Hope you can have a listen

It's amazing how a quality source can show through downstream compromises. I really can get a sense of the space and detail that this incredible system has, just through your iphone, and these little things on my desk.

It's quite fashionable to say "it's useless spending money on a good DAC, or cable, or whatever, if your room or speakers are not perfect", but I think a lot of us know that we DO know when something special is upstream. Certainly the case for me, here. Now I almost feel I don't need to make the trip!

Unless you have a Bin 389 on the go, of course. It's been a few decades since my last one, but it was close to the source of my red education...

37 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

Unless you have a Bin 389 on the go, of course. It's been a few decades since my last one, but it was close to the source of my red education...

I will sure offer a couple on standby and decanted ready, should you ever make it! ?

30D41F68-E39B-4EEE-9834-AE011488C43B.jpeg

BC1D79CA-D35E-4973-BA6A-1B2D0C0B8822.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Hey, thanks! We might all 3 be well-aged by the time it happens, but here's hoping.

And while I've still got my silly pants on, I thought it was really cute that Accuphase custom-built a couple of drink coasters on top of your new preamp ?

On 11/08/2020 at 11:55 PM, Chanh said:

It’s Tuesday night..., enjoying my modest Japanese junk electronics..., Danglish poweramps and crappy American moving coils in Alumina boxes... 
Sounds great and extremely addictive! ?

9703144D-CA01-47C5-92A4-DE3AEBFA43EA.thumb.jpeg.b1a8353a31d842c16f3dfc41552a7191.jpeg

I hope I'll have a system as nice as that one day. I'm in love with the cheapo accuphase so i can only imagine how that system sounds.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Hey, thanks! We might all 3 be well-aged by the time it happens, but here's hoping.

And while I've still got my silly pants on, I thought it was really cute that Accuphase custom-built a couple of drink coasters on top of your new preamp ?

Hehe.... 

This Accuphase preamp is acquired without any audition. It is the very first unit for international release and I am the very first owner outside Japan. Lot of risks with such high ticket item, however, never I have been that so satisfied with an audio purchase as this, unprecedentedly. ???

• Like 1

I’ve probably made around two dozen preamps, mostly tube. Most I would say didn’t have a signature but the last four tube preamps I’ve made (three as lock down projects using parts on hand) have had a signature. Fortunately a pleasant or even exciting one. 

I sold “Continuum” (SRPP with 6922 Gold Lions) to a guy through my retro-thermionic Facebook page. Not sure what he had before but he claimed it totally changed the whole sound of his system for the better. He was so shocked/impressed he sent me a video of it playing in his system. 

So when (above) someone says they like the sound of a preamp in their system I really get it. The most profoundly sounding one I have (again made in lockdown from parts on hand) is the DHT UX-171A preamp with 1920s tubes. Just something about it is so intoxicating. I’m a convert. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chanh said:

thoughts

Sounds like an off-day for your system ?. Dynamic peaks all squashed, particularly "piano" and bass sound relatively dead.

Nothing to do with the iphone and what happens later, of course!

We'd have to hear the same recording in different resolutions to make any proper judgement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BioBrian said:

Nothing to do with the iphone and what happens later, of course!

We'd have to hear the same recording in different resolutions to make any proper judgement.

Thanks @BioBrian
I think this setup is being very honest. I am experimenting with the importance of digital source. People have different opinions that digital source isn’t as critical.. Clearly MP3 showed its true SQ colour. I personally always appreciate DSD better than PCM and again PCM better MP3.....!

Will retrial once am able to find a recording that’s mastered in a variety formats. 

These guys are the best I've found, and offer different-res trials.

I have bought a couple of these pricey recordings, but being a classical tragic, I have trouble listening to bad intonation (typical in jazz, especially sax and string bass), so the below link was a welcome find. "Jet" on bass is awesome, though a little hidden in the single-mike soundstage.

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/515-reinier-voet-ballade-pour-la-nuit

I've not had great joy from any DSD so far - this may be my setup - the best for me has been the above in DXD (PCM?) 352.8 kHz.

Edited by BioBrian

On 13/08/2020 at 10:56 PM, mwhouston said:

Not mine but looks the part and not super excessive. Image off FB. 

0AF24A06-F2B3-431C-96BC-9A9D9A4763F0.jpeg

I've just been reading a review of the AUS built Jones Scalon Baby Reds in the latest [August] issue of  Sound on Sound magazine, which looking at the driver configuration the ones above seem to be a domestic version of.....with added subs.

https://www.waynejonesaudio.com/products-specs/baby-reds-studio-monitors/

Very strange mid/woofer surround speaker by Purifi , designed by Bruno Putzeys who is also responsibly for the Kii Three.

It makes me wonder if a Kii Two or One might end up using a similar driver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Temporary digs while the new place gets built. Could be worse....

IMG_20200819_192052.jpg

The room looks great. Can you tell us about the system.

I’m struggling to identify a single component in the picture.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, jt301 said:

The room looks great. Can you tell us about the system.

I’m struggling to identify a single component in the picture.

6 hours ago, RankStranger said:

There’s at least 4 Line Magnetic products that I can see

Correct! LM-845ia Premium, LP-33 Phono, LM-32 DAC and LM-88ia

Also a Holbo turntable and Contrast Audio SOUL speakers.

I think I landed on my feet a bit scoring a room like this in a shortish term rental, though bass is still troublesome and requires more attention. I find a significant strengthening of lower bass when I stand up which is MOST disappointing!!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Darryl said:

You might have to install a bar in the room :)

And have a flock of 9 year olds in there practicing ballet? Not likely......

• Like 3