My System Today

On 24/07/2020 at 4:51 PM, KRSDarwin said:

Changed out my Paradigm Premier 100Bs in my work system for my JBL 4312M IIs from one of my home systems.  All of this gear (other than the headshell and cartridge) has been acquired secondhand from SNA members in really great transactions.

image.jpg

0762ABFF-3C70-4967-BBEB-5D9D92A191C3.jpeg

I see you are still using the tube phono stage I made you. I don’t think you can get the Greek kits anymore which is really sad. A bloody great kit. I wanted one for myself. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

Sensational room and very tasty set up Dave. Very envious?. In comparison, it feels like my system is set up in a shoebox!

Thanks mate, the missus did the styling, I just did all the work. ?

It not without it’s problems though , big open space to the left, floor boards and a fair bit of glass make it hard to tame but I think I’ve done the best I can without upsetting the boss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Only ever built one amp with a 6AS7. Great sounding. Have you tried a 6080 in the same amp. I found them microphonic. 

Yes, GEC 6080 and Mullard (the one with same construction as the GEC) are very nice.

• Like 1

This is the only room in the house that I can put my system in. Thankfully a vaulted ceiling actually makes it a good sounding room, even if I have to pull a chair from the adjacent room to sit and listen withj. Music projects quite nicely from the system into the adjacent living area.

Speakers are DIY lxmini.

Latest toy is the 502DAC running symphonic-mpd software. 

Room this morning-s.jpg

502DAC into minidsp PWRICE-125-s.jpg

• Like 5

On 04/08/2020 at 9:41 AM, dwbasement said:

Yes, GEC 6080 and Mullard (the one with same construction as the GEC) are very nice.

Swapping between the 6080 and 6AS7 I felt the 6AS7 definitely better. When you are on phones it is much easier to pick the difference between components. I also felt the 12AU7, in my tube headphone amp, better than the 12AX7 the amp was designed for. Quieter too.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Swapping between the 6080 and 6AS7 I felt the 6AS7 definitely better. When you are on phones it is much easier to pick the difference between components. I also felt the 12AU7, in my tube headphone amp, better than the 12AX7 the amp was designed for. Quieter too.  

I agree 100% that 6AS7 sounds better than 6080 in general but the GEC 6080 is a different class of 6080 I think.

A lot of Head amps use 6AS7 as an upgrade to 6080 are the obvious reason I guess.

Also agree 12AU7 is quieter and better sound than 12AX7 but much less gain though... My phono uses 12AT7 but I also use Raytheon 5751 windmill getter as alternative. Both sound very nice.

I also use 18ECC pinched waist on the phono as well, another rare tube 12AT7 alternative, lesser gain than AT but more than AU...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

I agree 100% that 6AS7 sounds better than 6080 in general but the GEC 6080 is a different class of 6080 I think.

A lot of Head amps use 6AS7 as an upgrade to 6080 are the obvious reason I guess.

Also agree 12AU7 is quieter and better sound than 12AX7 but much less gain though... My phono uses 12AT7 but I also use Raytheon 5751 windmill getter as alternative. Both sound very nice.

I also use 18ECC pinched waist on the phono as well, another rare tube 12AT7 alternative, lesser gain than AT but more than AU...

Never liked the 12AT7 until I built two 6L6 SE UL wine box amps. I had top of the range Psvane 12AT7s and tried them In the amps as driver tubes. They never came out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Never liked the 12AT7 until I built two 6L6 SE UL wine box amps. I had top of the range Psvane 12AT7s and tried them In the amps as driver tubes. They never came out. 

6201 is worth trying too.

A2900 is what I haven't tried as they are too expensive.

On 03/08/2020 at 9:56 PM, dwbasement said:

My system tonite, having some background music while I getting ready to bed.

20200803_235030.jpg

Go to bed?  I think i'd forego sleep and stay up all night listening to a system like that....very noice ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Grennesa said:

System got a nice little addition today. Added a pass labs X150.5 to the setup today. 

Such a solid unit... the 250 and 350watt amps must be absolute beasts. 

5569A6EF-CF68-4C99-BE40-F2E43BABB15F.jpeg

Very nice, Would be some of the best sounding R series ever. What is the rest of the chain? DAC direct?

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Very nice, Would be some of the best sounding R series ever. What is the rest of the chain? DAC direct?

Thanks, I think they sound pretty good especially with the amp, although I'd love to upgrade my speaker (too many wants....not enough money)

I use Roon and was using my Oppo 203 as the Dac/Streamer and using my Anthem MRX720 for amplifier duties. But since picking up the X150.5 I've been trying out my Mytek Brooklyn Dac+ as the DAC (had been using that in a headphone setup).

While the DAC is working find I've just found that the left channel input for the theatre bypass isnt working on the Mytek, and its not a cable or AVR issue  (Devastated!). Will have to get in touch with Mytek to see if theres a fix otherwise....might be time to buy something new......

• Like 1