My System Today

8 minutes ago, sjay said:

Bass traps in 3 of 4 corners and one panel behind the table so far. I think i finally got to speakers placed right this morning as well. 

Great looking room!

What bass traps are you using, out of interest?

2 minutes ago, lemarquis said:

Great looking room!

What bass traps are you using, out of interest?

A very good question that I am unae to answer. They are the black studio foam ones ...i got them locally from a studio supplier. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sjay said:

Sounds fabulous 

Bass traps in 3 of 4 corners and one panel behind the table so far. I think i finally got to speakers placed right this morning as well. 

New tubes in the pre have 100 plus hours on them now so settled in just right 

Very very happy is how I describe myself at the current time 

I bet it does! Great system you've put together, congrats.....

Very jealous ? I have the baby TB2S+ and they hope to grow up to be like yours one day. Did you buy the gear new or second hand?

23 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I bet it does! Great system you've put together, congrats.....

Very jealous ? I have the baby TB2S+ and they hope to grow up to be like yours one day. Did you buy the gear new or second hand?

Its the same gear I have had for years now mate, you have seen it in 3 different rooms over that time.

Electronics apart from the speakers came from SNA .The cable loom ( Kimber mostly)  I sourced from Audiogon over time.

I got a stupid deal on the speakers from Interdyn when they first took over distribution in Australia. They basically gave them away to me.

Thanks for the positive feedback, it really does sound magical to me.

If you ever make it up here, by all means come by and have a listen yourself.

On 28/06/2020 at 5:31 PM, muon* said:

That's the argument but IMO It's flawed.

Correct, because of the cyclic nature of AC and its adherence to frequency. Placing components that disturb its required duty, can be non advantageous.

Circuits though which can monitor frequency and adjust to fixed frequency references are usually very beneficial. 

Components like turntables as example  https://www.cymbiosis.com/lp12-power-supplies/ 

Edited by stereo coffee

G'day Folks.

After a day long clean up...

307498012_RotelOptonicaSonyHokutone.JPG.80023785bcfc894e15397bba931171cd.JPG

I haven't updated my gear at the bottom just yet...

Same Yamaha CD, same Philips Media Player.

Same Music Hall MMF 2.2 TT

Rotel RA-971 Mk II

Vintage cabinets with Hokutone drivers ( on floor )  $10 from the tip shop recently, handling Dusty Hill's bass on Thug with ease.

Vintage Sony 434 Carbocon Speaker System ( centre )

TV and BluRay running through...

Optonica SM-4100  ( not SM-5100 listed below )

Optonica CP-5100X speakers ( outer )

• Like 18

On 10/07/2020 at 10:41 PM, DrSK said:

And for that money their website still doesn't have properly defined performance specifications or a technical data sheet. 

454kg each speaker!!! WTF! What’s inside them?

Anyway we’ve all missed the boat. They started shipping in April......

•  

On 27/06/2020 at 2:42 PM, Mhel said:

Saturday be like. 

DSC_0814.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG

This indeed looks like a nice system, but I do not think I would put a tape recorder on top of a speaker.

Not only because of magnetic field being in proximity of tapes but the vibrations coming from the loudspeaker do not do anything positive to anything electronics put on top of it...

Edited by rockeater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got around to putting together a proper tube head-fi setup (after DMing several SNAers for their advice). :)

RME ADI-2 (2nd Gen), WA22 (2nd Gen; rolled a new KR Audio rectifier tube I just received), Focal Utopia (Nordost cable), Van Hulen XLR / IsoTek power interconnects. Pretty happy - this is my first tube experience and I'm a believer now!

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200716182518166_COVER.jpg

• Like 6

Spent the evening after the kids went to bed comparing some speaker cables (yep, on Friday night. I’m that cool) that have accumulated. Out of the Chord Epic twin that I’ve been using for probably 10 years, a set of home made canare 4s8 that have been in my system for the last 6 months, some furutech U2T that I’ve had for a while but never used before and some Audioquest Midnight + that I picked up recently off gumtree, the audioquest got it, absolutely hands down.

The Canare made a remarkably strong showing. It doesn’t leave anything out but it could probably just be a bit more refined in the top end. The Chord Epic is lovely but I’d like it to open up just a little bit more. It has sounded better so I wonder if it’s just a bad match with my current amp. The furutech was extremely competent. Unremarkable but I’d happily live with it if it was all I had. I wasn’t really expecting much of the 20+ years old Audioquest but it just had such a natural and unfussy top end. I kept on going back to the cymbal sound on Dave Brubeck’s Take Five because it was so lively and substantial. With the AQ in, I let the tracks play all the way through. 

of course, the Audioquest is the least practical of the 4. It’s thick, unyielding, ugly, terminated for bi-wiring at one end (my speakers are single terminals) and 20% shorter than I want it to be. I’ll have to find some way to live with it for the time being though because it sounds so damn good. I’ll run the experiment again when I upgrade my amp. 

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Fortunate to be involved in some capacity with this awesome system, the addition of the dCS Bartok the final piece in the digital jigsaw...

Very nice photos and a system with (almost) invisible cables?

59 minutes ago, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

The client and the cabinet make did a wonderful job of designing the space to minimise what you see.

I had to do a second take when I read that its a clients home - it looks like a showroom installation. Well done to everyone involved. Just beautiful. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

I had to do a second take when I read that its a clients home - it looks like a showroom installation. Well done to everyone involved. Just beautiful. 

Have heard this system many times and it definitely sounds as good as it looks, those Cornwall 4's really rock with the PSE 300 B's...:thumb:

Edited by Mendes
  • Like 3