My System Today

1 hour ago, andyr said:

We were playing an LP of Vivaldi's "Gloria".

SQ improvements were:

• we could 'hear the room' better (the church the recording was made in).
  • the decay of the vocals was longer lasting.

My opinion of what caused these improvements?  I have no idea - it simply shows that different power supplies have an effect on the sound - even though these power supplies are merely driving a TT motor.  As does adding some isolation and filtering on the mains supply.

Is this due to reduced wow & flutter?  I wouldn't have thought so (we should played a piano recording.)

Andy

Easily noticeable in sound improvement when W & F are reduced. 

10 minutes ago, vinilink said:

Easily noticeable in sound improvement when W & F are reduced. 

Correct, v.

But the question here is ... how does changing the DC power supply driving an AC motor speed controller, cause W & F to be reduced?

Andy

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Correct, v.

But the question here is ... how does changing the DC power supply driving an AC motor speed controller, cause W & F to be reduced?

Andy

I am not an expert as per se, but guess due to less fluctuation in power voltage will give far more consistency which will reduce in W & F dramatically, which in turn improves SQ.

I am not an expert as per se, but guess due to less fluctuation in power voltage will give far more consistency

But the DC voltage coming out of the power supplies used with the motor speed controller is not fluctuating - particularly in the case of the battery PS.

which will reduce in W & F dramatically, which in turn improves SQ.

I agree that power conditioning on an AC power feed to a motor speed controller should make the AC smoother - which could well result in better W & F numbers.

Better W & F would certainly make sustained piano notes sound better ... but would it lead to the SQ improvements that we heard:

• we could 'hear the room' better (the church the recording was made in)
  • the decay of the vocals was longer lasting?

Andy

1 minute ago, Winno said:

It certainly is. It doesn’t happen often though. 

Yeah we just about have it every morning here (and near or below 0c temps) but I don't remember a lot of foggy mornings in Brisbane.

Pretty happy with how she sits for the moment.

Accuphase E-203, Denon DCD-1650AR, EM-Audio DAC (Japanese boutique), Denon DP-47F, Epos ES14, Canare digital interconnects, Bill's pure silver analog connects, musical fidelity speaker cables, Cardas power.

Maybe speaker cables are to be the next upgrade. 

DSCF4469.jpg

Edited by mexicoke68
  • Like 17

8 minutes ago, misternavi said:

Ready for Lockdown.

Stained and varnished the audio rack

Whatmough 202 in da house

Cranking ABC 774 AM radio on the Craver Tuner. 
Outside world sounds depressing. Maybe I need to post the booze I'm about to drink in Currently Drinking

1350_0025.jpg

1350_0030.jpg

Lovely space and afternoon light. 

I dunno it’s the 2pm Wednesday arvo booze that’s depressing imo ;) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, misternavi said:

Ready for Lockdown.

Outside world sounds depressing. Maybe I need to post the booze I'm about to drink in Currently Drinking

1350_0025.jpg

1350_0030.jpg

I need to come around  almost immediately and STRAIGHTEN UP  those picture frames.

Fifth book from the right needs to go third place from the right, second and third books on the left need to go to fifth position from the left.

PM me your address please.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Luc said:

I need to come around  almost immediately and STRAIGHTEN UP  those picture frames.

Fifth book from the right needs to go third place from the right, second and third books on the left need to go to fifth position from the left.

Can you fix the orange certificate within the picture frame while your'e there please?

Edited by awayward
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

yes please! I straighten them all the time. Can you come everyday? Also I spent an hour cleaning all the kids toys to take this photo. They will be home soon and will take them about 30mins to turn it into bomb site again. Can you come by every 4hrs?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Lovely space and afternoon light. 

I dunno it’s the 2pm Wednesday arvo booze that’s depressing imo ;) 

there will be a lot more of early afternoon drinks with home schooling in a few weeks time.

• Like 1

The books Navi...the BOOKS!

Kids toys?

Ban them from the room, end of story. I showed my kids Disney's Bambi and what happens if they play/enter my area...goodbye mum.

?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, misternavi said:

Ready for Lockdown.

1350_0025.jpg

1350_0030.jpg

really nice!!!  And nudged you up to 1000 likes ?

• Like 3

Moved to a new pad, and got me a new room. Much better suited than the last one.

One very happy camper over here :)

Room is still a bit of a mess , getting there though. More tuning to do. 

y4mCXcZ2ciHnjsKKaGVDHVOfSjuGj3gd3uQ1Rvgy

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, sjay said:

Moved to a new pad, and got me a new room. Much better suited than the last one.

One very happy camper over here :)

Room is still a bit of a mess , getting there though. More tuning to do. 

y4mCXcZ2ciHnjsKKaGVDHVOfSjuGj3gd3uQ1Rvgy

Looks like it could be a good room

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 2:38 PM, Chanh said:

Check this out.... 

Only US$750,000.00 a pair to acquire. 
If only......!?C675595D-6825-4BC3-91F4-4AC9372EF8CA.jpeg.8d6489fef3c5b5aebb77d01b06754563.jpegBC504C31-D8A6-40AC-BE84-F801679D53FA.jpeg.cf33ed10a5704a44c1c35c43407398cb.jpeg468F88F6-C37A-4226-8BAA-A1CFEE3F4D15.jpeg.2abf1dbb204416f5d51f7b4bdf97966b.jpeg7B2B29FA-9CC9-4B6B-BBEC-B17363FF782A.jpeg.b8032f40a45bdb3aee1b4e8688c8a48a.jpegC163FADC-DA9D-4F20-8DD2-D6AB38F13061.jpeg.a45e10b30475d77854318a3ded0a14e3.jpeg

And for that money their website still doesn't have properly defined performance specifications or a technical data sheet.