My System Today

3 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Record cleaner...........??

Oh i see. I thought It’s a water proof player so you won’t miss any beat when doing business ? I must have drunk too much tonight 

Edited by TDX
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TDX said:

Oh i see. I thought It’s a water proof player so you won’t miss any beat when doing business ? I must have drunk too much tonight 

It is Friday after all....??????

1 hour ago, TDX said:

Absolute gold! ??

Its a KLAudio ultrasonic cleaner. One of the best vinyl upgrades so far!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, TDX said:

You could mistake it for a fancy toaster I suppose.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

The plight of the vinyl collector.

...moving house!

The system was decommissioned and spread over multiple trustworthy hands over the past 2 weeks, leaving the vinyl to be packed last. My lord, what a task ??‍♂️

30805F28-24CB-42A4-BA32-61AAA70C9B3D.jpeg

I would be happy to have your kind of a task.

• Like 2

On 09/06/2020 at 8:51 PM, RankStranger said:

2CFDC6C8-6FBD-4E50-AA43-71210CC87C0F.thumb.jpeg.6951ad4cd706b39f3265c8542c554725.jpeg

Low cost, high value addition in the form of an AQ Jitterbug for the iPad "system". 

Wasn’t expecting much and, truth be told, it’s not like getting a new component but I’d definitely liken it to adding some sort of power filtering. A general removal of hash and more definition to the music. It’s the sort of difference you’d um and ah about if it was $500-$600 but at around a tenth of that, it’s a no-brainer. I deemed it worth a try because there’s not really much else I can do with this system. Dare I say, I’ve reached an endpoint and I am... completely content.?

For now.

(dammit, I just couldn’t let go, could I ?)

A couple of weeks on and I think I might've understated the impact of the Jitterbug. It absolutely makes everything sound unequivocally better. Can't ask for more than that for just over a pineapple.

if you have a USB connection somewhere in your audio path just try one ? 

• Like 3

84DA7CEB-77DF-4B4A-ADCB-06E3E104C890.jpeg.c2e6590fbcb563d1eb266bbf7b0ee77b.jpeg

I'm not going to show you a photo in situ because it’s tucked away in the cable cupboard of shame but I added one of these this week as payment from a mate for a sub amp I picked up for him and I’m pretty confident I came out on the better end of the deal.

I’ve been running power through one of those good-quality filtered power boards for the better part of a decade but this is definitely on another level. Just using stock power cables, the noise floor has dropped to a noticeable extent, which is the sort of change i love because it pays dividends across the board, no matter what you’re listening to. 

I’m currently running the amp and Pi streamer off it. Having only 2 outputs means I have to choose whether i use it for that or  for the streamer and turntable but i can play around with that over time. Is anyone running their sub/s off a power conditioner? Did you notice much difference? I can try it but it’s a bit of stuffing around

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

84DA7CEB-77DF-4B4A-ADCB-06E3E104C890.jpeg.c2e6590fbcb563d1eb266bbf7b0ee77b.jpeg

I'm not going to show you a photo in situ because it’s tucked away in the cable cupboard of shame but I added one of these this week as payment from a mate for a sub amp I picked up for him and I’m pretty confident I came out on the better end of the deal.

I’ve been running power through one of those good-quality filtered power boards for the better part of a decade but this is definitely on another level. Just using stock power cables, the noise floor has dropped to a noticeable extent, which is the sort of change i love because it pays dividends across the board, no matter what you’re listening to. 

I’m currently running the amp and Pi streamer off it. Having only 2 outputs means I have to choose whether i use it for that or  for the streamer and turntable but i can play around with that over time. Is anyone running their sub/s off a power conditioner? Did you notice much difference? I can try it but it’s a bit of stuffing around

I use an Isotek power conditioner which has 2 16A outputs and 4 10A outputs. I use the 2 16A outputs for Devialet 400 amplifier and plug my sub directly into the power socket. The concern with plugging an amplifier into 10A socket is whether it has capacity to meet the peak current demands on the amplifier. 

I’m also not sure what benefit you’d get using a power conditioner with a turntable.  The power feed in a turntable is used to spin the platter. It doesn’t touch the musical signal. Do you notice any improvement with vinyl replay?

The benefits of power conditioning on music replay are controversial. If you can hear an improvement, stick with it.

30 minutes ago, jt301 said:

I use an Isotek power conditioner which has 2 16A outputs and 4 10A outputs. I use the 2 16A outputs for Devialet 400 amplifier and plug my sub directly into the power socket. The concern with plugging an amplifier into 10A socket is whether it has capacity to meet the peak current demands on the amplifier. 

I take your point but my amp is only 55wpc and most of my listening doesn’t involve huge dynamic swings. A lower noise floor is of much greater benefit

32 minutes ago, jt301 said:

I’m also not sure what benefit you’d get using a power conditioner with a turntable.  The power feed in a turntable is used to spin the platter. It doesn’t touch the musical signal. Do you notice any improvement with vinyl replay?

Definitely speed stability, especially on a direct-drive deck, but also I’m using the phono stage built in to the turntable. It’s not high-end by any means but it still might be good enough to hear a difference. Bears experimentation, anyway

34 minutes ago, jt301 said:

The benefits of power conditioning on music replay are controversial. If you can hear an improvement, stick with it.

I don’t know if it’s that controversial to those who have experimented with it. Maybe to the “it wont make a difference so i wont try it” crowd? It wouldn’t surprise me if different areas saw greater or lesser benefits too, depending on their mains supply.

random, somewhat-connected thought: does anyone in SA who lives near the big Tesla battery have a reckon on whether they get audibly cleaner power from it? Not sure if its something you could track

I don’t hear any benefit on a belt driven turntable but I’m prepared to accept that the benefit could be masked by other factors. E. Belt slippage.

Your phono stage could definitely benefit from power conditioning.

The argument goes that any decently designed component should have a sufficiently regulated power supply to clean up the power before its used by components processing the music signal.  I guess it’s another variable on whether we hear benefits or not.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jt301 said:

The argument goes that any decently designed component should have a sufficiently regulated power supply to clean up the power before its used by components processing the music signal.

That's the argument but IMO It's flawed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jt301 said:

4 minutes ago, jt301 said:

I don’t hear any benefit on a belt driven turntable but I’m prepared to accept that the benefit could be masked by other factors. E. Belt slippage.

Yes, it's certainly less obvious that "doing something " to the mains power feeding a PS that is driving a TT ... will have an effect on the sound coming from the speakers - compared to "doing something " to the mains power feeding a component that processes the music signal.  :)

But you might be interested in the results of an experiment I did about 6 years ago, when I first got my 'Number9' AC motor controller.  This is on a belt-drive TT.

The 'Number9' AC motor controller comes with a 48v Meanwell SMPSU; I - and my 'golden-eared' panel - compared the sound we heard when the Meanwell was replaced by some other PSes:

• firstly, a linear PSU.
  • and secondly, 4x 12v SLAs, stacked - with another 4 in parallel, to decrease the Zput of the battery supply.

We then tried the SMPSU and the linear PSU with an isolating transformer+hash filter between them and the wall socket.

The SQ was unanimously agreed as (in increasing SQ order):

1. SMPSU
  2. linear PSU
  3. SLAs
  4. linear PSU with isotran+hash filter
  5. SMPSU with isotran+hash filter.

Andy

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yes, it's certainly less obvious that "doing something " to the mains power feeding a PS that is driving a TT ... will have an effect on the sound coming from the speakers - compared to "doing something " to the mains power feeding a component that processes the music signal.  :)

But you might be interested in the results of an experiment I did about 6 years ago, when I first got my 'Number9' AC motor controller.  This is on a belt-drive TT.

The 'Number9' AC motor controller comes with a 48v Meanwell SMPSU; I - and my 'golden-eared' panel - compared the sound we heard when the Meanwell was replaced by some other PSes:

• firstly, a linear PSU.
  • and secondly, 4x 12v SLAs, stacked - with another 4 in parallel, to decrease the Zput of the battery supply.

We then tried the SMPSU and the linear PSU with an isolating transformer+hash filter between them and the wall socket.

The SQ was unanimously agreed as (in increasing SQ order):

1. SMPSU
  2. linear PSU
  3. SLAs
  4. linear PSU with isotran+hash filter
  5. SMPSU with isotran+hash filter.

Andy

Do you remember what sort of SQ improvements you heard from the changes? Do you have any opinion on what may have caused those improvements? Could they be put down to reduced wow and flutter?

1 hour ago, jt301 said:

Do you remember what sort of SQ improvements you heard from the changes? Do you have any opinion on what may have caused those improvements? Could they be put down to reduced wow and flutter?

We were playing an LP of Vivaldi's "Gloria".

SQ improvements were:

• we could 'hear the room' better (the church the recording was made in).
  • the decay of the vocals was longer lasting.

My opinion of what caused these improvements?  I have no idea - it simply shows that different power supplies have an effect on the sound - even though these power supplies are merely driving a TT motor.  As does adding some isolation and filtering on the mains supply.

Is this due to reduced wow & flutter?  I wouldn't have thought so (we should played a piano recording.)

Andy

To Top