My System Today

52 minutes ago, Steffen said:

What are those speakers?

3 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

I’m pretty sure they’re Legend Tikandis or Big Reds, if you mean the pair in @Satanica’s post above.

Cheers Keith

Yep, Big Reds. I used to know this system fairly well and it's quite remarkable behind the unassuming looks!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

I’m pretty sure they’re Legend Tikandis or Big Reds, if you mean the pair in @Satanica’s post above.

Hi Keith, yes they are the original Big Reds now over twelve years old!

Although they are practically new as all of the drivers and inbuilt woofer amps have been replaced.

The story...

Removed the failing plate amps and now have dual Crowns powering the four 10 inch woofers.

Broke both tweeters a couple of years ago (my fault mucking around) so replaced them.

The mid-range drivers had the rubber surrounds go yellow so I replaced with a newer "01" model.

Broke one of the woofers last year so replaced the lot (four) of them.

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Yep, Big Reds. I used to know this system fairly well and it's quite remarkable behind the unassuming looks!

What you can't see behind the AV unit and TV is a SVS PC-13 sub-woofer and there's also one behind the camera. :shifty:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Satanica said:

What you can't see behind the AV unit and TV is a SVS PC-13 sub-woofer and there's also one behind the camera

and a pole? is that a pole? ;)

Big Reds? sweet :thumb:

Just now, muon* said:

and a pole? is that a pole? ;)

Ha, no pole for dancing here although you've given me an idea. ?

It's just a plastic conduit cover thingy for cables to go to back of the room things (rear speakers, sub-woofer, projector).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/d-line-50-x-25mm-1m-tv-wall-drop-adhesive-cable-management-cover-black_p4430332

• Like 2

On 20/04/2020 at 11:27 AM, blybo said:

That's what I found. I have a dedicated HT room and initially it was to be a dual function room with music too. I found myself unable to sit in isolation (ironically) from the rest of the home when listening to music, so set up a 2ch system in my living room.

Same for me........always had my music setup in the living room even if I had the space for a dedicated setup in a separate room. Kind of felt isolated away from the living space! Thankfully, the wife is okay with me having the hi-fi stuff around in the living room

42 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

hey @MarkT would love to read your impressions of those ATC monitors. 

And a massive sub lurking in the corner ? ?

Cheers, 2B

I like to try out different active and passive speakers regularly in system #2.

Some of the notable speakers I've had over the years in this room...

Dynaudio AIR15

Dynaudio BM6A

Dynaudio BM6A MK2.

Event Opal.

ADAM Tensor Delta.

Neumann kh120.

Quested s8r.

Acoustic energy AE22 active.

ATC SCM10-2A

ATC SCM20-2A

Dynaudio Contour 1.1

Contour 1.3MK2

Contour 1.3SE

Dynaudio Special 25. 

ATC SCM11 V2

ATC SCM7 V3.

The ATC speakers are significantly better than any of the others with the SCM20 ASL PRO being the best sounding of the lot.

It has the top of the line ATC S spec tweeter plus a newly designed active amp pack with 200wpc for the bass driver and 50wpc for the tweeter.

They simply sound stunningly good when used in a small to medium sized room and placed fairly close to the front wall.

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 3

The Benchmark S100 is replacing the large S500 floorstanders 

why? home iso with kids all the sound system is used for is low level radio and wiggles on youtube and netflix.

kids will also be happy with more play area.

down sizing...... sad day + a tough day home schooling. i need a drink.

42B3E8F1-A8F5-4AE3-AD18-D845A37FE76A.jpeg

• Like 4

A full horn system including some folded horn bass cabinets which cost me $100!I have loaded them up with Fostex FW305 12 inch woofers which seem to work really well  in them Just got really lucky with that pairing I think.The horn design goes back to a Wireless World design from 1970 which had input from Paul Klipsch.They go surprisingly low .The bay window must be helping there.

Edgar tractrix midrange horn using Dynaudio D54 dome midranges [500hz -4000hz ] then crossing to modified Lorantz slot tweeter.All first order passive crossovers.

Bakoon amplifiers love horns!

The bass horns appear to be very similar to this design-

https://www.keith-snook.info/wireless-world-magazine/Wireless-World-1970/Low-cost Horn Loudspeaker System.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1RlurUR3F0QDJDOJhXz3cCB1budVF9eYhQJZcyS14QzQQlxvet-wDyhn8

Some in room measurements.There is a hole at 400 hz which is an easy fix by using a lower value inductor on the woofer.Room modes at 40Hz and 200Hz but they are producing 30 hz down only 2db.So the perception that horn loaded cabinets have to be  massive to reproduce low bass  would appear to be unfounded.

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 16

And with wings added to replicate corner loading.Which I am assuming is how they were designed to be used.I much prefer them without it though.All you gain is more upper bass which sounds less balanced and which muddies things up a bit.More typically "horny" sounding perhaps.More Klipsch sounding even but also more dirty sounding.Not what I am trying to achieve.It might be of benefit in other rooms but  this room seems to be loading the bass nicely without them.

IMG_0524.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, awayward said:

Added diffusers to the front wall, no obvious benefit, I need a listening session with nobody home so I can up the volume some more, and then I’ll move them to the rear of room and see/hear.

E4745B67-AD41-4E9B-8321-49F78A9AC872.jpeg

that’s so neat!

13 hours ago, awayward said:

Added diffusers to the front wall, no obvious benefit, I need a listening session with nobody home so I can up the volume some more, and then I’ll move them to the rear of room and see/hear.

E4745B67-AD41-4E9B-8321-49F78A9AC872.jpeg

Nice big room and no distractions. I would never do room treatment and my room is on the lively side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkT said:

Pretty good value for money at the $3.5k store dj were selling them at.

I rate them third best of the active monitors I've owned behind the Dynaudio AIR15 and the ATC,s.

Are Event Electronics still in business? Their web page is running but has not been updated for years. I guess they are gone.

I found the mid frequencies of the Opal too recessed compared to the low and high frequencies. But that was in Factory Sound's demo room, which is far from optimal.

Edited by DarkTree

25 minutes ago, DarkTree said:

Are Event Electronics still in business? Their web page is running but has not been updated for years. I guess they are gone.

I found the mid frequencies of the Opal too recessed compared to the low and high frequencies. But that was in Factory Sound's demo room, which is far from optimal.

They are tunable to the room or taste though.

Bass and treble are adjustable as is Q.

• Like 1