My System Today

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Yet to hear a pair of Zus. 

Same here. I visited yesterday to audition the JBL clones and didn't think to ask. about the Zus.

I can say that the JBL clones were very detailed and quite realistic, with the weight of the Parasound amps behind. Not horn-like at all. Some surprising horn/trumpet notes popped out from apparently nowhere

I hope to get a photo at home soon after I collect the speakers and I hope that my room will help them to shine, too. Just organising a bigger truck...

• Like 2

Very quiet these days.

Floors just been polished and a new rug.

They ( insurance) are coming back to do some more work tomorrow, caulking I think?

Tonight I’ll pop in a center channel so we can watch a movie at least.E7FE5C71-2415-4777-90A0-ADAB72682213.jpeg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, joz said:

Very quiet these days.

Floors just been polished and a new rug.

They ( insurance) are coming back to do some more work tomorrow, caulking I think?

Tonight I’ll pop in a center channel so we can watch a movie at least.E7FE5C71-2415-4777-90A0-ADAB72682213.jpeg

I'll be doing this later this year. Renovating. Not looking forward to it, but am in a way.

• Like 1

Re-united after 4 months in transit. 2.5 systems. Next is a date with Ikea.

Glad I learnt the value of keeping original boxes from SNA. Think there are components in there purchased from 5 different SNAers. To think I sold off a pile of stuff and this is what I kept ?

20200127_130457.jpg

Quick setup and sounds like bliss after 4 months of the JBL Flip (bang for buck is epic though).

Tidal HiFi to Chromecast Audio to Cayin A50T to Energy Pro 2.5 (last used in my garage!)

20200127_145832.jpg

Edited by zenikoy
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Island boy said:

How do you compare the lenco against the garrard 401?

I can't compare as I dont have a 401 any more. My feeling is that my Lenco would easily out perform a standard 401. And it should given the PTP, custom grease bearing, DC motor, larger motor spindle and speed controller.  

The attraction of a Lenco is the far lower price compared to a Garrard. In hindsight I would just buy the  motor, drive components and platter rather than wrecking an operational Lenco.

2 hours ago, RankStranger said:

I can’t be the only one waiting on a H190 first impressions/mini-review :) 

So.….after a few days of listening I can honestly say that I love the Hegel! My Luxman L-550AX seems a little relaxed in comparison, the Hegel has incredible control over the speakers (a claimed factor of 4,000!). I was hearing incredible detail but retaining the lush sound that makes my Luxman special. Never analytical. During a listening session, my step-son walked in and said "did you change your amp? the sound seems warmer".

All listening was done via Roon Nucleus with a combination of my own music, as well as selections from Tidal and Qobuz. 

11 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

So.….after a few days of listening I can honestly say that I love the Hegel! My Luxman L-550AX seems a little relaxed in comparison, the Hegel has incredible control over the speakers (a claimed factor of 4,000!). I was hearing incredible detail but retaining the lush sound that makes my Luxman special. Never analytical. During a listening session, my step-son walked in and said "did you change your amp? the sound seems warmer".

All listening was done via Roon Nucleus with a combination of my own music, as well as selections from Tidal and Qobuz. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was seriously considering the H90 at one stage but because of my family, Spotify Connect is table stakes and the H90 doesn’t do it but the H190 does. Big price jump, though

4 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was seriously considering the H90 at one stage but because of my family, Spotify Connect is table stakes and the H90 doesn’t do it but the H190 does. Big price jump, though

So enamoured with this amp that if I stay with separates (rather than going fully active), I would consider the next model up, the H390.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

So enamoured with this amp that if I stay with separates (rather than going fully active), I would consider the next model up, the H390.

I feel like a Norwegian amp would match well with my Finnish Amphion speakers (for no other reason that I think that would be nice).

Prior to connecting the crossovers. Laid out with the Maggies, for size perspective. 58" TV behind. Various CDs awaiting a new rack.

Will send Ben a reminder soon for crossover photos, if he has some.

They sounded big too, with the Parasound JC1 amps at Ben's house last weekend.

534167931_JBLspeakers.thumb.jpg.383e2c4aac52c3fdd80c6d20c9ae53a0.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

Prior to connecting the crossovers. Laid out with the Maggies, for size perspective. 58" TV behind. Various CDs awaiting a new rack.

Will send Ben a reminder soon for crossover photos, if he has some.

They sounded big too, with the Parasound JC1 amps at Ben's house last weekend.

534167931_JBLspeakers.thumb.jpg.383e2c4aac52c3fdd80c6d20c9ae53a0.jpg

Impressive. A speaker description plse. The Maggie’s I get. 

@mwhouston. I bought these last weekend as "JBL 4430 clones - Improved", from @Gryffles in Sydney. He purchased them, as created by @sootshe in QLD.

Link to the original For Sale notice - with technical data, as set out below:

These speakers are modelled on the famous JBL 4430, but have a more modern take on the mid range & top end sections.

The bass section is modelled on the 4430 cabinet to ensure that the bass driver will work just as the factory intended. It has the same internal dimensions & the same port dimensions, so the bass tuning has not been left to guesswork.

The bass drivers were originally JBL 2225’s & have been reconed with genuine JBL 2235 cone kits, turning them into JBL 2234’s, so the cones & surrounds are good for another 15-20 years. For serious buyers, I can go into detail about how the above statement is correct.

The cabinets were custom made for me & were cut on a CNC machine. All joins are tongue & groove joined, glued & screwed. Accuracy is less than a millimetre. The material used is MDF & all sides are 32mm thick, with extensive internal bracing. These cabinets do not vibrate. They are veneered in Silky Oak, with an oiled finish.

The mid range drivers are brand new A55G compression drivers, mated to Elliptrac  hand built timber horns.

The top end is handled by JBL 2404 “Baby Cheeks” tweeters, fitted with brand new original JBL diaphragms.

Crossovers are built by Werner Jagusch of Germany & incorporate PIO caps & autoformers.  Now running ALK - Gentle Slope crossovers. Mid & top end levels are adjustable on the autoformers & the crossover points are 500 Hz & 6000 Hz.

Efficiency is around 96db & they weigh approximately 80-100kg each. The bass section & the mid & top section are in separate cabinets.

• Like 1