My System Today

4 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Yeah the Isoacoustics Gaia 2s

Was pretty night and day at the Stereonet show with 2 sets PSB speakers and there are Youtube vids that show the difference. Just a bit clearer and less muddied.

I like the idea of isolating the speaker from other components too.

I have SVS Soundpath feet under the subs

Thanks.

I've started considering the Gaia 2's previously to replace my brass cones under my audio stand and speakers since moving to a place with bare wooden floors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winno said:

Thanks.

I've started considering the Gaia 2's previously to replace my brass cones under my audio stand and speakers since moving to a place with bare wooden floors.

Definitely easier for a timber floor

Worth a shot and they sell pretty easy here if you don't want them

There’s a lot to be said for paring things down. Over time, I went from a turntable, Phono pre, CD player, Mac mini, dac, pre and power to a Naim Unitiqute and a NAS. 

Did it sound better? Some aspects of it sounded much better, some not so much but I was happier with it overall and I spent more time enjoying music and less worrying about whether this or that component or connection or setup was optimised as much as could be.

it was very liberating :) 

• Like 1

A few decades ago, Sony did research on whether the average consumer could discern the difference in a high end audio system. They concluded- most definately yes, and they preferred the high quality sound. However, Sony also found the vast majority of those surveyed would not be prepared to spend even a small amount more for that improved quality. The rest is history, Sony decided to go big with inexpensive mass consumer electronics.

That leaves the remaining 1-2% of the population whom was far more price insensitive, and really wanted premium HiFi. This audiophile group were catered to by a niche group of smaller low volume players. As audiophiles, we are no different to the remaining 98% of people, whom love music. Only difference, we gain extra pleasure when that music is reproduced in true high fidelity. We have dual goals.

• Like 3

I think the audiophile may be 60% gear and 40% music inclined. Those with less expensive systems who use music more as a background than a hard core listen session swing 80% music 20% gear. 

Maybe hard core listening (and not just hearing music) does demand more  from the gear. This may justify the above audiophile weighting. 

Note; these are percentages I plucked out of my head and not from any research. 

Guest Muon N'

I admit I'm gear and music focused in the 50/50, in the sense that I like playing with the gear side to extract the best I can for the music side.

Can I live without music? yeah....can I live without the gear side of it? yeah....... can I get my fix purely from one or the other side? maybe not.

Nothing that's visible changes much in my system.

One source only.

20191206_181208.jpg.e511da257e27db6d1b5880156abfeaec.jpg