My System Today

40 minutes ago, jt301 said:

What model of Giya are they?

These are the Vivid G2s speakers. The designer is Laurence Dickie who was the talent behind the original B&W Nautilus. Amp is Gryphon Mephisto, preamp Gryphon Pandora, DAC kalliope, and server I put together with a little help from Uptone audio et al.

The Shepherd is a "rescue" who for some reason became too scared to go into the show ring for her previous owners (we do not show dogs, they show us off but so far no prizes!). The pug, who has owned us  since he was a puppy, doesn't understand what fear is ! He just understands what food is !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

These are the Vivid G2s speakers. The designer is Laurence Dickie who was the talent behind the original B&W Nautilus. Amp is Gryphon Mephisto, preamp Gryphon Pandora, DAC kalliope, and server I put together with a little help from Uptone audio et al.

The Shepherd is a "rescue" who for some reason became too scared to go into the show ring for her previous owners (we do not show dogs, they show us off but so far no prizes!). The pug, who has owned us  since he was a puppy, doesn't understand what fear is ! He just understands what food is !

Typical pug then mate. ?

• Haha 1

That system goes so good with your doggies David

Check out a beaut goggie breed - a Griffon 

Would compliment those stunning Gryphon components..

Brilliant  

V 

My pooch likes good music, she senses my happiness, comes over and goes all smoochy 

34C4DCA0-3D23-40E8-8DEE-3F31D399E1CC.jpeg

56E1CCB0-2FC9-43B7-BD20-46062C701FE5.jpeg

348AE16D-0162-49E5-B77B-4C8ADB89AA51.jpeg

19F26014-6023-4A87-96C7-0CB1FAEDEE8C.jpeg

Edited by La scala
Better pic
  • Like 3

871b0ea216234cab6c0815169ffa5ba4.jpg

Got the RP-850 back from some much needed TLC. Cart and tone arm not aligned properly, greased up the belts and platter, and fitted brand new RCAs. Sounds lovely and has stoked the vinyl flames again. Next up is to throw an orto 2M blue on it, and a better preamp.

But am content for now [emoji41]

• Like 9

I once liked bookshelf speakers, now much prefer ones without the shelf’s 

There is no substitute for Qubes, size matters. Let’s music breathe with such ease.

Personally use more Industrial, larger versions of what’s pictured.

Thanks to having lots of room and no domestic limitations.

Just so much enjoy all horns now a days.

853A22BC-3DFC-4BBE-A47A-5B87AB71A8B2.jpeg

Edited by La scala
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, La scala said:

I once liked bookshelf speakers, now much prefer ones without the shelf’s 

There is no substitute for Qubes, size matters. Let’s music breathe with such ease.

Personally use more Industrial, larger versions of what’s pictured.

Thanks to having lots of room and no domestic limitations.

Just so much enjoy all horns now a days.

853A22BC-3DFC-4BBE-A47A-5B87AB71A8B2.jpeg

Jokingly I would normally say “are your speakers big enough”. But here I would have to seriously say “is your room big enough”? Easy to see you love your horns. I love mine too but on a much smaller simpler scale. 

• Like 2

871b0ea216234cab6c0815169ffa5ba4.jpg&key=7e941ccbff8ea8804937aba2d7687846cbbf518283c2a3b6cd48240d3bae2d24

Got the RP-850 back from some much needed TLC. Cart and tone arm not aligned properly, greased up the belts and platter, and fitted brand new RCAs. Sounds lovely and has stoked the vinyl flames again. Next up is to throw an orto 2M blue on it, and a better preamp.

But am content for now [emoji41]

Looks like there should be no shortage of low frequency. What type of music do you listen to?
  • Like 1

Just cannot get enough of those horns, my love affair with a multitude of Electroststics and Ribbons are now replicated with the added Dynamics of Horns.

Without the room nodes and loading within a domestic environment, music just floats in a grand scale. Be it delicately or in a front row of a live event.

Since I spend lots a time at work, I thought why not create a concert hall within the workshop. 

Very much enjoying the start of this journey of fine tuning.

happy days 

E86FE1AC-9FD6-475A-A443-E96526B37A9C.jpeg

A502BE92-4417-4B90-BC6B-B04671BDF235.jpeg

5332EDAA-F53D-467C-A102-FDEE35806756.jpeg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, muzzagruzz said:

Just put the Diablo 120 into the other system with the Accordos and Classic 1. First time listening to vinyl through it. Oh my god!  

21AB92D6-97D2-41FB-806D-D14DB8B25FEF.jpeg

The Diablo is one of Flemming's great achievements IMO. He recently retired so who knows where the company will go from here. Back in the day I was lucky enough to be at a dinner with him. Quite a character.

I have owned Gryphon amps dating back to the Reference One monoblocks. I sold them very cheaply. The other stand out for me was the Antileon Signature version (which I still own). I currently own the Mephisto which IMO is the pinnacle, and which IMO some others may approach but not best that I have heard. The word gravitas always comes to mind when I think Gryphon amps, they have it in spades.

I will be selling my Antileon signature soon. It will go on sale with a Sonata preamp that I also used to own and sold to my friend a few years ago but who sadly passed away recently (his widow will be selling all his gear). He was thinking of buying the Antileon Sig, upgrading from his Halcro, also a great amp.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

The Diablo is one of Flemming's great achievements IMO. He recently retired so who knows where the company will go from here. Back in the day I was lucky enough to be at a dinner with him. Quite a character.

I have owned Gryphon amps dating back to the Reference One monoblocks. I sold them very cheaply. The other stand out for me was the Antileon Signature version (which I still own). I currently own the Mephisto which IMO is the pinnacle, and which IMO some others may approach but not best that I have heard. The word gravitas always comes to mind when I think Gryphon amps, they have it in spades.

I will be selling my Antileon signature soon. It will go on sale with a Sonata preamp that I also used to own and sold to my friend a few years ago but who sadly passed away recently (his widow will be selling all his gear). He was thinking of buying the Antileon Sig, upgrading from his Halcro, also a great amp.

I have a feeling that I’ll be chasing the Scorpio S CD player one day, just have to save up a lot of pennies. 

• Like 2

Looks like there should be no shortage of low frequency. What type of music do you listen to?

The subs blend in remarkably well, got them rolled off around 40hz I think.

Very diverse taste, had some classic ZZ Top (HDCD) on this morning. But could just as easily have been Bill Evans, Tool, Marvin Gaye, Groove Armada, Kraftwerk, Diana Krall etc.

I like to think my system is an all rounder. Speakers most definitely are.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, muzzagruzz said:

I have a feeling that I’ll be chasing the Scorpio S CD player one day, just have to save up a lot of pennies. 

So you are aware of my Gryphon obsession, right?. That said I have never been tempted to buy a gryphon speaker or a Gryphon CD player. I think there are better speakers out there for the price, and re CD players, you can build or buy a server that sounds as good if not better for a fraction of the cost. Believe me I have tested/listened to them. What I cannot find is better amps than Gryphon, they are simply the best of the best IMO. I have owned Pass labs, krell, mark levinson and extensively auditioned so many other amps.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

So you are aware of my Gryphon obsession, right?. That said I have never been tempted to buy a gryphon speaker or a Gryphon CD player. I think there are better speakers out there for the price, and re CD players, you can build or buy a server that sounds as good if not better for a fraction of the cost. Believe me I have tested/listened to them. What I cannot find is better amps than Gryphon, they are simply the best of the best IMO. I have owned Pass labs, krell, mark levinson and extensively auditioned so many other amps.

I am curious,  with your experience and absolute top end Gryphon etc components, are you experiencing a synergy that provides - upon certain tracks :

*Foot tapping to a uncontrollable level

*Goose bumps as the music emotionally stimulates

This is a rare feat, only a limited fortunate few may ever experience this..

This is what this endgame, hobby or quest is generally about, please share your thoughts and experiences.

Ta V

10 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I’m not really into servers as I find the whole digital streaming/digital storage thing way too complicated for my liking. Plus, it’s still an emerging technology that is unresolved IMO. 

I love a good disc spinner as much as I love a good record player. The latter is sorted, now for a great CD player. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, La scala said:

I am curious,  with your experience and absolute top end Gryphon etc components, are you experiencing a synergy that provides - upon certain tracks :

*Foot tapping to a uncontrollable level

*Goose bumps as the music emotionally stimulates

This is a rare feat, only a limited fortunate few may ever experience this..

This is what this endgame, hobby or quest is generally about, please share your thoughts and experiences.

Ta V

Hi V

What a great question/s

[are you experiencing a synergy that provides - upon certain tracks :*Foot tapping to a uncontrollable level  *Goose bumps as the music emotionally stimulates?],

really the only question/s that matters for many of us. The answer is overwhelmingly Yes.

To delve a little further a good system for me is one that simply gets out of the road of the music. The system disappears in that you are no longer aware of it's stamp on the music, you thus hear and describe less of the components and more of the music. Importantly, the room is part of that system and it too should not be "heard". BTW if your room has walls it has modes and other acoustical properties (irrespective of its size, auditoriums just have different challenges).

To put this in a very counter-intuitive way I now boast that I have a most unimpressive system - it only has one trick, to disappear. What is left is just the music that sounds spookily real and it is the music that gives me the goose-bumps, emotionally engages me and can bring tears to my eyes, involuntarily sets my body swaying and toes tapping.

When systems impress me with excessive detail, huge floating images, soundstages that penetrate my neighbors house, subwoofers that strip the paint off the walls, silky velvety highs that caress me....what you have IMO is colouration, a form of sonic sunglasses. It is a trap I think we have all fallen for at one stage or another (IMO). You are then listening to what has become to be known as "HiFi" (a bastardization of the original meaning. A pejorative term one might use for a system not liked, "oh it was very HiFi wasn't it?").

So, back to the question, I am moved by the music, very much so, IF I like the music. Music is what emotions sound like.

Cheers

David

Edited by Audiophile Neuroscience
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi V

What a great question/s

[are you experiencing a synergy that provides - upon certain tracks :*Foot tapping to a uncontrollable level  *Goose bumps as the music emotionally stimulates?],

really the only question/s that matters for many of us. The answer is overwhelmingly Yes.

To delve a little further a good system for me is one that simply gets out of the road of the music. The system disappears in that you are no longer aware of it's stamp on the music, you thus hear and describe less of the components and more of the music. Importantly, the room is part of that system and it too should not be "heard". BTW if your room has walls it has modes and other acoustical properties (irrespective of its size, auditoriums just have different challenges).

To put this in a very counter-intuitive way I now boast that I have a most unimpressive system - it only has one trick, to disappear. What is left is just the music that sounds spookily real and it is the music that gives me the goose-bumps, emotionally engages me and can bring tears to my eyes, involuntarily sets my body swaying and toes tapping.

When systems impress me with excessive detail, huge floating images, soundstages that penetrate my neighbors house, subwoofers that strip the paint off the walls, silky velvety highs that caress me....what you have IMO is colouration, a form of sonic sunglasses. It is a trap I think we have all fallen for at one stage or another (IMO). You are then listening to what has become to be known as "HiFi" (a bastardization of the original meaning. A pejorative term one might use for a system not liked, "oh it was very HiFi wasn't it?").

So, back to the question, I am moved by the music, very much so, IF I like the music. Music is what emotions sound like.

Cheers

David

Thank you ever so much in sharing David, all so well explained, 

and also making me smile with your clever summary - in your paragraph - soundstages  that penetrates ones neighbours and paint stripping subwoofers etc .

if I am not mistaking, this phenomena of ones and especially your setup getting totally out of the way and becoming so emotionally engaging - is a rare feat.

A veteran UK audio consultant of 15 years, also in New Zealand for 7 years - mentioned whilst tutoring me for five month, that he had only experienced this 3 or 4 times within his career.

He was a character too - made me laugh with his sayings like - man this chap has $300k tied up in just interconnects and still sounded like S.... - poo.

After him loaning me vast cryogenically treated interconnects, valves and speaker cables,  and that component earthing thing etc,etc we managed to get there on certain vocal tracks. Likely only 10 percent of what you may well be enjoying, but it all locked in as he would say upon seeing goosebumps on us.

At the time the main performers were actually both Australian made -  Ambience Grand Reference 1800 Ribbon hybrid speakers and Supratek Merlot monos set amps,  speakers were / are 96 dB efficient and hence worked brilliantly in a domestic timber roofed room.

I am curious about your mention re different rooms interactions - primarily one of large size - would you have any  pointers for a 400 sqm rectangular workshop would be welcomed. Tall pitched tin roof and concrete.

I may never get that phenomenon in the workshop, But just hooked on tuning the All horn thing - current 4 way actives + low woofers rig.

Decided to stop using the ribbons as I made them flutter at times within the large work shop - when pushed too much.

Ta Volker

9D640651-CD4C-49CE-8098-ABE66F54D072.png

22D903D4-4047-4ED2-B7A7-27897CA3D631.jpeg

Edited by La scala

ALDI supermarket has an upcoming minimalist package deal, bring your trolleys lol ?  

Those Germans , I don’t know ! Probably factory seconds.....

D4456D47-2A66-47B1-A632-5812679BC4E4.jpeg

Edited by La scala
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, La scala said:

Thank you ever so much in sharing David, all so well explained, 

and also making me smile with your clever summary - in your paragraph - soundstages  that penetrates ones neighbours and paint stripping subwoofers etc .

Well, if I made you smile i am pleased. We all need a little more laughter and a little more music in our lives!

if I am not mistaking, this phenomena of ones and especially your setup getting totally out of the way and becoming so emotionally engaging - is a rare feat.

A veteran UK audio consultant of 15 years, also in New Zealand for 7 years - mentioned whilst tutoring me for five month, that he had only experienced this 3 or 4 times within his career.

He was a character too - made me laugh with his sayings like - man this chap has $300k tied up in just interconnects and still sounded like S.... - poo.

I don't think any system will achieve perfection really. It will also vary according to what one's definition of perfection is.

I am curious about your mention re different rooms interactions - primarily one of large size - would you have any  pointers for a 400 sqm rectangular workshop would be welcomed. Tall pitched tin roof and concrete.

I may never get that phenomenon in the workshop, But just hooked on tuning the All horn thing - current 4 way actives + low woofers rig.

Decided to stop using the ribbons as I made them flutter at times within the large work shop - when pushed too much.

Ta Volker

people will advocate distinctly different approaches. Basically treat the room or use digital software that (warning: potentially controversial bit...)  alters the speakers output in a way that changes speaker room interaction. I am a treat the room kinda guy. You could try both approaches.

Reverberation times are more important in very large spaces and first reflections more important in smaller spaces.

You should probably do some measurements or get someone in to do them (maybe). I personally feel measurements are often incorrectly interpreted and sometimes used as a way to push an agenda (or worse sell a product) so be a little wary.

Pitched and vaulted ceilings can be a problem. Art Noxon (acoustic engineer and physicist) wrote

<quote> The higher the ceiling, the lower the floor to ceiling resonant frequency. An 11 or 12 foot ceiling has a fundamental resonance of about 50 Hz and is easily stimulated because most bass drivers and especially subwoofers are located near the floor. Probably the worst ceiling to use is a peak or vaulted ceiling. The peaks reach substantial heights and their megaphone effect is not fun to listen to. If angled ceilings are used, they should be low over the speakers and open up behind the listener.</quote>

I recommend you start here http://barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

Barry also makes audiophile quality recordings.

There is a trend these days to believe that one's audio system is so good it makes even bad recordings sound pretty good. I say BS. A very resolving system or a bad recording in HiRez will make a sh*t recording sound like a highly resolved sh*t recording. GiGo (garbage in, garbage out)......Edit: perhaps a little unfair.I think that a good system can bring out whatever good is in the recording and yes it is possible to rediscover old tracks in a way that you have never heard before.

Cheers

David

Edited by Audiophile Neuroscience

On 14/07/2019 at 8:50 AM, La scala said:

Just cannot get enough of those horns, my love affair with a multitude of Electroststics and Ribbons are now replicated with the added Dynamics of Horns.

Without the room nodes and loading within a domestic environment, music just floats in a grand scale. Be it delicately or in a front row of a live event.

Since I spend lots a time at work, I thought why not create a concert hall within the workshop. 

Very much enjoying the start of this journey of fine tuning.

happy days 

E86FE1AC-9FD6-475A-A443-E96526B37A9C.jpeg

A502BE92-4417-4B90-BC6B-B04671BDF235.jpeg

5332EDAA-F53D-467C-A102-FDEE35806756.jpeg

Crikey, where about in Perth do you work, would love to drop in when I need some tires....:thumb:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mendes said:

Crikey, where about in Perth do you work, would love to drop in when I need some tires....:thumb:

In Dianella, do a tiny bit of tyres only, Specialise in BMW Mercedes - German car service and repairs.

Cheers Volker

• Like 1