My System Today

28 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Good to have the real thing on that fateful day that you open the digital files and where are they? :D 

Yes, I'll hang onto them for awhile yet but as I type I'm doing a triple backup of all pc files and my precious anime collection. I wouldn't honestly care if my music files went missing as they aren't extensive like the guy in the review(20TB's on his NAS!!! shoot me!) and I could recover them eventually, not so the anime.

The biggest thing with these streamers(first noticed on the Node2 I had or rather the apps that run them) was the meta data and the way they lose your cd's by applying the wrong meta data to your cd/file. E.G. Lou Reed Best Of, 1984 remastered has morphed into most of the original albums that they cherry picked the actual best of from...that's annoying.

36 minutes ago, betty boop said:

not myself aware of any stand alone multichannel devices like it. curious they mention the exact same marantz processor I myself use. good that kind of thing that works well with it :)

You should wander out to Lord Egg's palatial chateau and listen to the thing, he's got multi C TV with Krix or something like that run through this.(I think)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Luc said:

Yes, I'll hang onto them for awhile yet but as I type I'm doing a triple backup of all pc files and my precious anime collection. I wouldn't honestly care if my music files went missing as they aren't extensive like the guy in the review(20TB's on his NAS!!! shoot me!) and I could recover them eventually, not so the anime.

The biggest thing with these streamers(first noticed on the Node2 I had or rather the apps that run them) was the meta data and the way they lose your cd's by applying the wrong meta data to your cd/file. E.G. Lou Reed Best Of, 1984 remastered has morphed into most of the original albums that they cherry picked the actual best of from...that's annoying.

Haha, I have 4TB twins at Raid One in the NAS and another 4TB HDD in the Naim Uniti Core, I think I am at 22%.

Yes the Naim did this on on occasion, picking symphony orchestra versions was common, had to edit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

@Pops110 your rack is finished, how awesome does it look? Would love to hear some Theils one day too, they can take big power and for me, this is the mark of a well designed speaker.

Cheers mate it has come up better than I imagined. More pics in the diy rack thread if you’re interested.

I would love to be able to try some of the big boy Thiels too one day.

?

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 10:41 AM, betty boop said:

0I9A0918.JPG

one of those days in melb where best to be in listening to some music :)

Love the bedroom system.  I have the exact same kid's cushion couch that is used by the cat instead of the kids. :)

34 minutes ago, SPR08Y said:

EE34FFB4-B851-48B1-8D97-6C1DB295D521.thumb.jpeg.7508a372460e37340e070b8cf035d93c.jpeg

Speakers ‘For my gal!’ now home. Thought I’d may as well give them a go in front of my ELAC BS244s before handing them over... sounding pretty good! 

A good system is a balance of just enough of the right gear. Looks about right to me. Tell me about the speakers? 

• Like 3

Thanks. Don’t know much about them. See more details in ‘For my gal’ thread... 

8” fabric woofer with little whizzer thingy in the middle (doesn’t sound overly PC) with a rectangular small horn with what I think is a tweeter at the bottom. Hermann Mod Cubes was written on the back. So no real details on provenance. Front ported (2”) through baffle inside heavy metal grills. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPR08Y said:

Thanks. Don’t know much about them. See more details in ‘For my gal’ thread... 

8” fabric woofer with little whizzer thingy in the middle (doesn’t sound overly PC) with a rectangular small horn with what I think is a tweeter at the bottom. Hermann Mod Cubes was written on the back. So no real details on provenance. Front ported (2”) through baffle inside heavy metal grills. 

They look DIY. Also sound vintage. You also sound like you want to replace them with something else? 

Like most I have a number of power amps, preamps etc. unlike most all of my gear is DIY. Lately my main power amps are 180W Class Ds but every now and then they get swapped out for a tube power amp. I always leave my tube preamp in place. I do find, though, if I don’t do the swap early in the morn, before breakfast, it doesn’t get done. This morning it got done. Out with my Class D and in with the first of the wine box 6L6 SE UL amps I built. Part from the bass not going as low as the Ds it is pleasant listening. 

60AB4451-3FCE-4C5C-AF22-791F3AF70B1A.jpeg

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

They look DIY. Also sound vintage. You also sound like you want to replace them with something else? 

Not at all, yes definitely DIY, they are for my daughter, very happy with them. I've just tarted them up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Like most I have a number of power amps, preamps etc. unlike most all of my gear is DIY. Lately my main power amps are 180W Class Ds but every now and then they get swapped out for a tube power amp. I always leave my tube preamp in place. I do find, though, if I don’t do the swap early in the morn, before breakfast, it doesn’t get done. This morning it got done. Out with my Class D and in with the first of the wine box 6L6 SE UL amps I built. Part from the bass not going as low as the Ds it is pleasant listening. 

60AB4451-3FCE-4C5C-AF22-791F3AF70B1A.jpeg

wine box tube pre - i like it ha! Do you have any thoughts about the american PH16 tube preamp kit? Been hanging out to order it for a while now... 

3 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

wine box tube pre - i like it ha! Do you have any thoughts about the american PH16 tube preamp kit? Been hanging out to order it for a while now... 

The power amp is in a wine box not the preamp. The preamp (Icon)is in a Hammond wood cheek enclosure above the power amp. The tube power amp is on the bottom.

Never heard of the PH16. My preamp and power amp are not based on kits just free schematics. 

The power amp is in a wine box not the preamp. The preamp (Icon)is in a Hammond wood cheek enclosure above the power amp. The tube power amp is on the bottom.

Never heard of the PH16. My preamp and power amp are not based on kits just free schematics. 

Ah I see. That’s a small case for a power amp (which is why I saw the tubes and assumed preamp).

The PH16 is here, it has the option to DIY with your own case for a considerably less than a built one:

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/PH16.htm

12 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

If you are into this kind of thing, you would probably think it would go well with my Lampizator's "Lampucera" DAC in a wine box.

One would have to bypass the tube output though so it is not too tubey (there are two outputs just for that occasion; solid state and tube).

I am thinking now of adding a balanced output too, but it is a lot of work. Mainly with cleaning wood chips from drilling into the jarrah.

IMG_5874.thumb.JPG.e9d144b609f08d1cc6916c5c74799772.JPG

IMG_5872.thumb.JPG.a3f6a1fc338f444813d9a4fb0bc07a20.JPG

• Like 4

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2017/07/retro-6l6-se-ul-mkii-power-amp.html

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2017/02/silver-supreme-6l6-se-ul-amp-in-wooden.html

I got into wine box amps some years back. Still have both. In fact one is in my system at the mo. These are both 6L6 SE UL power amps. I have two more wine boxes so some more amps on the way.

C419E5D2-6411-4DA5-8501-07F2178A6BCD.jpeg

A1E8A080-6E6D-4D77-AC8E-D04ADA87976C.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2017/07/retro-6l6-se-ul-mkii-power-amp.html

http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com/2017/02/silver-supreme-6l6-se-ul-amp-in-wooden.html

I got into wine box amps some years back. Still have both. In fact one is in my system at the mo. These are both 6L6 SE UL power amps. I have two more wine boxes so some more amps on the way.

C419E5D2-6411-4DA5-8501-07F2178A6BCD.jpeg.17806c97628036f992ec02e854b684c3.jpeg
A1E8A080-6E6D-4D77-AC8E-D04ADA87976C.jpeg.650976d104c535358e097b584737ddbf.jpeg

does amp sound better in a chardonnay or shiraz box or does it depend on vintage?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

C419E5D2-6411-4DA5-8501-07F2178A6BCD.jpeg

A1E8A080-6E6D-4D77-AC8E-D04ADA87976C.jpeg

11 hours ago, rockeater said:

If you are into this kind of thing, you would probably think it would go well with my Lampizator's "Lampucera" DAC in a wine box.

One would have to bypass the tube output though so it is not too tubey (there are two outputs just for that occasion; solid state and tube).

I am thinking now of adding a balanced output too, but it is a lot of work. Mainly with cleaning wood chips from drilling into the jarrah.

IMG_5874.thumb.JPG.e9d144b609f08d1cc6916c5c74799772.JPG

IMG_5872.thumb.JPG.a3f6a1fc338f444813d9a4fb0bc07a20.JPG

These are great, thanks for sharing. No idea such creations existed. (Although I think it's almost criminal to hide the tubes inside, IMO.)

To Top