My System Today

I popped over to Dave's last week to borrow his Meridian preamp, it is a strikingly lovely room.

The Meridian 501 is a beaut too. My Icon Audio pre can't match it for frequency extension and the Meridian midrange is almost valve like in it's fullness.

3 hours ago, deanB said:

I popped over to Dave's last week to borrow his Meridian preamp, it is a strikingly lovely room.

The Meridian 501 is a beaut too. My Icon Audio pre can't match it for frequency extension and the Meridian midrange is almost valve like in it's fullness.

Fantastic components mate, you should hear their more powerful amps, just beautiful.

2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Fantastic components mate, you should hear their more powerful amps, just beautiful.

The 501 has been voiced very cleverly Daz. It doesn't shout solid state and is playing very nicely with my Naim cdp and Doge monoblocks. And the Doge and Adelaide Speakers are well up to the job of portraying the extra treble detail the Meridian provides.

This experiment has been very informative, all thanks to Dave's generosity.

I'll have to get some funds together in case a 501, 502 or GO2 comes up in the future. 

3 hours ago, deanB said:

The 501 has been voiced very cleverly Daz. It doesn't shout solid state and is playing very nicely with my Naim cdp and Doge monoblocks. And the Doge and Adelaide Speakers are well up to the job of portraying the extra treble detail the Meridian provides.

This experiment has been very informative, all thanks to Dave's generosity.

I'll have to get some funds together in case a 501, 502 or GO2 comes up in the future. 

If you can find an 808.3 CDP, you will have an end game CDP, DAC and ROON endpoint all in one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

If you can find an 808.3 CDP, you will have an end game CDP, DAC and ROON endpoint all in one.

Pretty big if Daz, but you never know. The audio universe moves in mysterious ways. $25k back in the day, and as you may recall, Psychometrics here in Perth sold one for sub $7k in 2016. You didn't score that one did you?

I read the Aussie review, unequivocally state of the art. Comes with an analog preamp section too. And I know Roon is a computer audio thing- but I must confess to being a luddite on such matters.

Have put the Icon pre back in, flipped the switch to high gain and it's belting out Zappa with gusto, which is kinda what it does best- big, textured tones from those 6SN7 valves.

Edited by deanB

6 hours ago, deanB said:

Pretty big if Daz, but you never know. The audio universe moves in mysterious ways. $25k back in the day, and as you may recall, Psychometrics here in Perth sold one for sub $7k in 2016. You didn't score that one did you?

I read the Aussie review, unequivocally state of the art. Comes with an analog preamp section too. And I know Roon is a computer audio thing- but I must confess to being a luddite on such matters.

Have put the Icon pre back in, flipped the switch to high gain and it's belting out Zappa with gusto, which is kinda what it does best- big, textured tones from those 6SN7 valves.

I did. :D

Bloody amazing and I loved it. It's something that can't be unheard.

Was a funny thing though, I have a mate and he has Meridian tattoo's on his brain, and fair enough, his system (running 802D's) is other-worldly. Full Meridian system, mono blocks pumping out something ridiculous like 800 or 1000W or something. I took the 808.3 to his place and we slotted it in and hooked it straight to the amps, using it as the dac, CDP and pre and boom. His system sounded a good 20% better, it was amazing.

If you love something, let it go. It now takes pride of place amongst all of it's Meridian relations at his house and I think he will get buried with it. :D 

I am also glad it's there, I can visit from time to time and still see it being loved, haha. It's currently ROONing along very well I believe.

I grabbed an Ayon Sigma dac, ripped all CD's to an NAS through the Uniti Core and have gone that way with tube front end feeding the JC1's and it all works really well. I was a luddite too, hence shelling out for the Naim which took a bit of the guesswork out. Now I know what to do (fiddle until something works) well it's not hard at all. Main thing to monitor is back ups, and that's it. My leetle SBT out in the shed even see's the NAS so the fully sick sansui shed system (FSSSS) has access to 2750 albums, haha.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

If you love something, let it go. It now takes pride of place amongst all of it's Meridian relations at his house and I think he will get buried with it. :D 

I am also glad it's there, I can visit from time to time and still see it being loved, haha. It's currently ROONing along very well I believe.

I think "sharing is caring" also fits nicely too Daz. You're obviously a big hearted bugger.

On 28/02/2019 at 7:48 PM, EdgyGrimDark said:

My humble setup, Klipsch 160m and Onkyo 9030 being fed from a Topping dx3 pro

IMAG1194.jpg

Back in the day, in another life, when I sold Klipsch... the “lower end” (which we’re still high end by 99% of ppl’s standards) punched WELL, and I mean WELL above their weight...

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

My system Sunday arvo. Curtains pulled, windows shut, doors shut, AC on and amps and valves are warm. Better ease 400w into the drivers with an appropriate tune as we sneak up to 90 + dB I guess. 

63CA457E-B0FA-4636-A9EA-22436BDD7D7F.thumb.jpeg.2c61204931fe5f3033c747a37ffc8e12.jpeg

59A1D397-3068-46A0-B30B-361977508183.thumb.jpeg.443b98706073f13ee0600d0a17384b03.jpeg

Have a lovely evening ?

• Like 12
  • Love 1

My system scored a new tube phono pre. this morning. The forth I’ve made but someone just keeps buying them.  In the interim not having my usual phono pre I substituted a two stage OPAMP based unit. Very nice but the tuber absolutely shines. Dropped the Psvane “T” series MKIIs 12AU7s back in now I need the new bits to settle. All DIY. 

BB1D824D-4896-4081-9101-3ADCE54CB009.jpeg

77EBA501-2DB2-4BA9-BFFC-98DAA42D6774.jpeg

E4E73A2E-D85C-49AB-BB64-E0ACDD882BB3.jpeg

62C30DF7-5354-4F44-8CC6-623CBDCB0879.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 5