My System Today

2 hours ago, pine weasel said:

Thanks to Lee and Leon at Kyron Audio, I'm currently playing around with these - the ultimate home demo!

The Kronos system - just stunning

IMAG0448.jpg.688c7b57c898af217169d8dc438ca935.jpgIMAG0440.jpg.86441e63bbb5d892570325226f42b13d.jpgIMAG0442.jpg.51182484f4f5c6aa60ff94ab63966503.jpg

WHAT  !iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Great pics, great looking trial system , but as i've said before, what a magnifecant bloody room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy said:

WHAT  !iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Great pics, great looking trial system , but as i've said before, what a magnifecant bloody room.

It is a great room... one of the best I've measured in the low bass particularly. Sounding just fantastic.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

@pine weasel...geez louise...what a beautiful room...

Would love to see some photos of the rest of the house....

Hi Rob

The rest of the house isn't quite  as photogenic - kids toys, school stuff, washing, lazy dog, .... - usual life stuff.

My music room is a sort of formal lounge room that we manage to keep most of the mess out of.  In winter, when we use the fireplace, it does tend to accumulate books, lego , wine bottles, etc.

The house is a classic Adelaide 1890's villa. I think that room may have been used as a formal ballroom at some time in the distant past.

Cheers

15 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

The rest of the house isn't quite  as photogenic

I'll bet it is...don't care about the mess...

That's what makes a house...a home...

Love the architecture & the build quality...

Though I bet it takes some warming in winter...

15 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

The house is a classic Adelaide 1890's villa.

SA...one of two states I have not set foot in...sigh...

Edited by Rob181

On 22/04/2018 at 8:03 PM, Leon Suter said:

It is a great room... one of the best I've measured in the low bass particularly. Sounding just fantastic.

Looks like a largish room where standing waves are minimised.

You can come measure my room any time you like. ?

If you don't mind me asking how is the DEQX configured in regards to the 3-ways plus the sub-woofers?

1 hour ago, Willmax said:

Rearranging the gear this morning, changing things up a little ?

20180424_122259.thumb.jpg.0c2f5a5e608d6c434520fc4307d09609.jpg

If I may make a suggestion.....

A wall shelve for your Sondek will make a worthwhile improvement in SQ..

Tase.

9 hours ago, Satanica said:

Looks like a largish room where standing waves are minimised.

You can come measure my room any time you like. ?

If you don't mind me asking how is the DEQX configured in regards to the 3-ways plus the sub-woofers?

Thanks for the offer. ? The Kronos system has an internal analogue crossover for the subwoofers, switchable between 40 or 60 Hz.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tasebass said:

If I may make a suggestion.....

A wall shelve for your Sondek will make a worthwhile improvement in SQ..

Tase.

Thanks for the suggestion as I'm just starting to dip my toes when it comes to the Linn turntable, I've got lots to learn ?

On 22/4/2018 at 10:45 AM, pine weasel said:

Thanks to Lee and Leon at Kyron Audio, I'm currently playing around with these - the ultimate home demo!

IMAG0448.jpg.688c7b57c898af217169d8dc438ca935.jpgIMAG0440.jpg.86441e63bbb5d892570325226f42b13d.jpgIMAG0442.jpg.51182484f4f5c6aa60ff94ab63966503.jpg

Last minute I know, but a casual GTG from 2-4 today if anyone's interested

Please PM for the address

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

How olds the Linn mate? Looks sweet!

Hi @Wimbo thanks for asking the question as this prompted me to do some research about its age. 

What I can gather by looking up the serial number and reading up here and here is that my Linn is from 1986, Linn's from this year came with the clear/translucent lid and improved suspension springs. 

This turntable is very new to me so I have a whole lot to learn about the LP12.

Edited by Willmax
added hyperlinks

Just now, Willmax said:

Hi @Wimbo thanks for asking the question as this prompted me to do some research about its age. 

What I can gather by looking up the serial number and reading up here and here is that my Linn is from 1986, Linn's from this year came with the clear/translucent lid and improved suspension springs. 

This turntable is very new to me so I have a whole lot to learn about the LP12.

Good stuff mate. Thats when they really started to get and sound good.Looks in really good nick.:thumb:

• Like 1

On 22/04/2018 at 10:45 AM, pine weasel said:

What an effortlessly and magnificent system to listen to, thanks @pine weasel and Kyron Audio folks, Lee and Leon, for the opportunity.

• Like 5

On 22/04/2018 at 8:24 PM, Rob181 said:

SA...one of two states I have not set foot in...sigh...

Time to consider a trip to SA.Many visitors from interstate are blown away by the States Blue Stone and character housing .

• Like 1

Well, finally, after months and months of planning the final piece of the puzzle (the cabinet) arrived on Friday afternoon. A large percentage of my time in hospital between the end of September  '16 and coming home to the new house in mid December '17 was spent researching and then setting in motion a series of changes to my system. Out have gone the Musical Fidelity A-308cr pre/power amps, the Sonos streamer, the Dynavector cartridge, the Musical Fidelity X-Cans v.2, the Soundstyle rack and my Martin Logan Vantage speakers, along with my speaker cable stalwart of the past quarter century or so, a 3 meter pair of Monster Power Line 2. They're all very fine components, it's just that the new ones are better.

Into the system has come the Arcam FMJ A49 integrated amplifier, the Auralic Aries streamer, the PS Audio New Wave Phono Convertor, the Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cable, the Pioneer PD-9700 cd player, the Linn's Kore and Krystal, and a pair of Martin Logan ESL13 Expression speakers.

I have also acquired a Yamaha M-60 power amp, a Curious USB cable, a pair of Chord balanced cables, an Aurealis balanced cable, two Iso-Tek Polaris power boards plus a half dozen Iso-Tek Premier power cords and, of course, the cabinet.

Currently, everything on the outgoing list is for sale. Contact me for details if what interests you isn't in my signature below.

How does it sound? Bloody fantastic!, and I still have to have the ARC room correction done on the speakers (the store wanted at least 100 hours of burn in completed before they come back to do that). The Arcam has been a revelation, the speakers (and the Nordost)  even more so (and more to come with the upcoming ARC set-up), and the Aries just leaves the Sonos sounding flat footed.

Special thanks go to the stores involved: Aidan at The Life Style Store in western Sydney, Harry at Audio Genesis, @jimsan at Tivoli Hi-Fi in Melbourne, Addicted2Audio for their Easter '17 Sale on the 'net, Angus at Miranda Hi-Fi in sunny Canberra, Oliver at Australia A1 Furniture; as well as SNAers @BATMAQN @countcrisp @Raffinator for the previously loved items. Also a big thank you to John at Apollo Hi-Fi who gave me Oliver's phone number when he had nothing in store to meet my needs.

I'm going to be stuck at home for a while yet whilst I recuperate so am looking forward to hearing the system fully burn itself in over time. Had someone told me forty odd years ago that I would end up having a system such as this I think I would have laughed in disbelief. The only possible upgrade I can now envision is changing from my NAD M51 to another dac. The Panasonic Blu-ray/HDD and the Sony UBP-X800 would benefit from such a change I think. The Bryston BDA-3 looks good to me but I have yet to justify that investment when I watch so little tv when my wife is out of the house. Dac change or not, I think that this may well be the last ever round of major upgrading that I will ever do.

I have to say that of all of the changes my biggest leap of faith was the Arcam FMJ A49. With just about everything else I had had previously encountered the brands involved and had a clear idea in my head what they would contribute. The Arcam, though, was new territory. Two separate recommendations from two different stores in two different cities piqued my interest and a whole afternoon of auditioning in store clinched the purchase. Even so there was still a little niggle in the back of my mind wondering if I had done the right thing. Until it was up and running, that is. It's a fantastic piece of gear, supple, and musically adept at all times. The old cliche about hearing stuff I have never heard before applies in spades but what gets me is hearing in a new way the things that I have heard before. Before this amp I had always thought of Arcam as being a middling level brand at best, but no longer. This amp deserves to be heard.

I will update with fresh observations in the future. Hope that you like the photo's.

May 6, 2018 026.JPG

May 6, 2018 027.JPG

May 6, 2018 028.JPG

May 6, 2018 029.JPG

May 6, 2018 030.JPG

May 6, 2018 032.JPG

• Like 16