It has been somewhat a journey for me, personally, in digital audio since I joined SNA..... From a CD-Transporter as the only source to modernise Computer Audio. It was all began with my laptop using Windows XP, usb into my WaveIO and subsequently into my DDDAC. From there I travelled from a normal working pc, to the little ARM-boards like the Raspberry PI, BeagleBone Black, Banana Pi with great SQ appreciation via I2S protocol........ This complete setup is still operable and very engaging til date. Pity, it only does PCM and does not do DSD, which is also a pity again when my ears can only appreciated the DSD materials better.....!

Through this journey, I have learned so much in tweaking a computer audio to sound more analogue. In doing so, I had successfully converted some hard-core local SACD player(s) and Turntable audiophiles into Computer Audio. :party Well, I think it is time for a reality check....., will these digital audio stacking up again our traditional SACD-player(s) or even close to a Turntable setup?

I will leave that question for you're to decide at this provision gtg, Sunday 30th April. Hopefully, with that given much notice will receive better participation?

There will be few servers' up for your ears to judge....., atom base server, i3-6100, and i7-7700K. If time permits, I have a TT setup to give you a reference between Digital vs Analogue......,  just for the fun... 

I will provide light beverage on the day...... :thumb:

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 2
  • Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys....  Have been Inactive/offline for a while.... Would like to update you all on my current setup and room treatment over this COVID-19 lockdown period.  I have also advancing my co

Have the opportunity today listening to the Absolare Altius preamp! Whoaaa...., it is truly a musical preamp.... The micro-dynamic is simply jaw dropping. I got to hear more of those little ambience s

The departure of my Vitus preamps, means i am in the search for its replacement. Been looking around with various possible candidates from the followings; 1. Gryphon Pandora, 2. Vitus SL-103, 

I am a sceptic as far a computer audio is concerned so I will love to attend and be proven wrong as I have heard from people of great PC setups.

My main concern is the digital noise of the system and purity of power supply.

But as with everything - there are good an bad solutions in every area.

Cheers

Roman

P.S. North or South of the River?

I would love to attend but I will not be able to confirm until around a week out, as that's when I will find out whether I'll be working or not. 

Cheers

Hi mate, I would love to pop along if there is room for me. Have not had a lot to do with computer audio side of things so should be interesting.

What can I bring along?

Cheers Dave.

8 hours ago, rockeater said:

I am a sceptic as far a computer audio is concerned so I will love to attend and be proven wrong as I have heard from people of great PC setups.

My main concern is the digital noise of the system and purity of power supply.

But as with everything - there are good an bad solutions in every area.

Cheers

Roman

P.S. North or South of the River?

Roman,

I am with you.... I spent a great deal of time and money with power purity...

What other CA setups have you heard? Anymore infor on Hardware/Software...., and the downstream audio gears?? I am trying to understand your view on this and here not saying it is wrong but what if we could improve the listening better?

As with TT and CA, surely controversial... Personally, I found I enjoying TT setup as it seems to me have much better realism stage, great bass kick. However, CA can also be good too.... They just sound different from one another.... Not necessarily one is superior to another. Note - not all record will sound the same. Furthermore, sourcing a good sounding record requires lengthy experience in TT and plenty of $$$$$$........

All in all, I enjoy both pending the mood..... Please join me at the GTG, allow me to demonstrate to you either medium is listenable...... Otherwise, you take home a bottle of Penfolds... that is my word.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Hi mate, I would love to pop along if there is room for me. Have not had a lot to do with computer audio side of things so should be interesting.

What can I bring along?

Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave,

I've heard of you but never got to meet.... Would be a great opportunity doing so, hey?

I can entertain vinyls and CA....., just bring whatever you think that gives you a reference point..., of where the sound may be...!

Btw - Guys... my shed is in Embleton, very near to Tonkin Hwy and Collier Rd intersection, but on Galleria's side. i.e North of the River.

7 minutes ago, mcb said:

Chanh,

I would like to attend, if you still have room.

Murray

You are always welcome, Murray. 

Hopefully still remember where my shed is? 

2 hours ago, caminperth said:

If it's an AM gig, count me in. Thanks for putting out the invite.

Cheers,

Cam

Great! I plan 10am to 3.30pm. Will keep you posted..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chanh said:

All in all, I enjoy both pending the mood..... Please join me at the GTG, allow me to demonstrate to you either medium is listenable...... Otherwise, you take home a bottle of Penfolds... that is my word.

I was going to bring in a bottle of my favourite vino rather than leave with yours :)

Organising GTGs should be rewarded, not penalised!

• Like 1
Guest BobbyD

If space permits, Would love to pop in for a few hours to have a listen and meet some local peeps for the first time.

Can bring some vino along.......:hiccup also.

Thanks Chanh

Edited by BobbyD
7 minutes ago, SETSergio said:

And Sergio has some of the best vino I have ever tried.

41 minutes ago, SETSergio said:

If space permits, Would love to pop in for a few hours to have a listen and meet some local peeps for the first time.

Thanks Chanh

Absolutely! :thumb:

Thanks Chanh. I'm in if there's the space. I'll bring some red! And my old "first generation" server if you want.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chanh said:

Great! I plan 10am to 3.30pm. Will keep you posted..

Thanks. Happy to bring my vanilla mac mini with iTunes to create a benchmark if wanted/needed. It would be very interesting to hear the difference between this and a high-end, purpose built server.

• Like 2

Hi Chanh & all,

Im a newbie in SNA. Coming from DIY background (lots of Dad's influence n his HAM background), I would love to catch up with you guys if still got a spot for me.

Cheers!

Edited by Will C
  • Like 1

And here she is...., operating!! 

Powering by four simultaneous linear power supplies...., via ATX management board with ease....!

IMG_5700.JPG

3 hours ago, Chanh said:

And here she is...., operating!! 

Powering by four simultaneous linear power supplies...., via ATX management board with ease....!

IMG_5700.JPG

Is it mine? :)

2 hours ago, qwerter said:

Is it mine? :)

No..! I am using this to fine tune your server. As yours is much more advance and outside Linux environment.

Edited by Chanh

Will be very interested to hear the results. Have pretty much moved over to using computer audio most of the time.  

Have a great afternoon guys.

Edited by Ozcall

We had a very nice unplanned gtg at my shed lastnight. Four close circle SNAers were invited at the last minute, 1hours before the gtg started. Fortunately they were all able to make it with such short notice. I look forward for a more public feedbacks gtg this Sunday as the house is already filled. So far, it seems fantastic feedbacks were received by all participants, and most were agreed that and I quote "Your setup sounds very nice, and it to me much better than those I have heard at the Hifi-shows!" 

Will see those had registered their interests this coming Sunday - Guys!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, tuyen said:

Accuphase + Gryphon + Magico  system....   excellent system Chanh.     Very impressive sound!

Thanks Tuyen. It was good catching up with you again, after a year or two right?

I have confirmation of about 15 guys join the gtg this Sunday. Feel free to drop by again if you have time?  

Guy,

The gtg is 11am to 3pm. If you have your favourite SACD bring them along. If you have your favourite LP, bring them along. My TT is here now with a little misfortunate to the cover and couple dents/mark to the Plinth - Still working I hope but I would need someone with the competency setting up for me, on the day or later this evening is great.

Cheers.

On 05/05/2017 at 2:01 PM, tuyen said:

Accuphase + Gryphon + Magico  system....   excellent system Chanh.     Very impressive sound!

If that setup impressed you, wait until he upgrades to Magico M3.

10 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

If that setup impressed you, wait until he upgrades to Magico M3.

Have you heard M3? I meant really actually heard them first hand...?

7 minutes ago, WhakPak said:

Nope. But I have heard their big brother, M-Pro.

Well..., if you haven't heard them yourself, the M3, and assumed they will be better in overall SQ is jump the gun IMO.

I think System synergy, room, matching equipment, are much more critical than simply throwing $$$ for higher price gears and assumed they will sounded better? Having said that, M3 bass are suck and no way near S5s..... And that my friend, speaking from the realistic audition experience.

Edited by Chanh
grammer correction

I think Boris have had the M3-pro for demo... I know they will be fantastic for me. However, at $120K...., I certainly needed a winning lottery tix. :hiccup

My new room which will be constructed by August 2017, is much bigger. M3 might not be adequate? it approx. 55m2.  

Edited by Chanh