Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
m_ani3

New projector

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

Currently have a epson tw9200w and am looking at upgrading it long story short had a fire at my old house and my projector was covered in SOOT and I've been given the go ahead to buy a new projector ,

Minister of war and finance has approved a maximum of 7k so question is will I be losing the image quality as it seems like the epson has better contrast ratio?(compared to the w11000) . Source will be my pc with chemo 2.0 and Xbox one s

So any help will be much appreciated

Current projectors I've been looking at

Benqw11000 and the epson 8300  

I just want good picture and performance that my 7k will get me 

Edited by m_ani3
Derp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$7k is a fair bit ! 

 

would be remiss in not including the jvc X7500 

 

im a previous epson 9000 series owner and found quite a step forward with even the jvc x35 that upgraded to about 3+ years ago, can see in the thread below,

 

there wasnt much in it 9000 vs 9200 and what am saying i guess will be quite pleased with the upgrade even to a 4 year old jvc let alone a brand spanking current model ! 

 

some things to watch out for, in the 9300 cant actually handle full 18GBPS bandwidth over its hdmi. a bit of a flaw in its design due to the chip set used. the benq I cannot speak off. probably best checking out in person to decide. and with DLPs its worth doing so no everyone is comfortable with the DLP rainbow artefacts ... that some see. ?I am a huge fan of DLPs but unfortunately discovered I was one susceptible to seeing the rainbows... in extended viewing.

 

re the jvc, can read about the jvc x7000 in the thread below, which is a model previous to the 7500 current model and which is a minor update on the one I have, so should give some feel kind of what will get :)  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair call I'll add the jvc to the list ad well .. On the topic of jvc is there is noticeable difference between the 5500 and the 7500?

Wow just read your thread about your jvc let me say the sample images are outstanding! The contrast ratio looks out of this world! Mate you may have just made me change my projectors choice .. now to see if the 5500 to the 7500 is worth the jump ..

Edited by m_ani3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a big jump in contrast between the 5500 and 7500, I'm in exactly the same boat you are in, as was thinking about getting the Epson, but decided on the JVC 7500 [ when funds allow.

Cheapest I've found [and a LOT cheaper than anybody else- by up to 2.2K cheaper] is RIO in Victoria....I have never dealt with them, so maybe somebody that has might chip in.

https://www.rio.com.au/categories/vision/projection/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Man that price is so mighty tempting, normally I deal with suppliers at my work place to get some trade prices, I prefer to deal directing supplier or a reputable retailer , without knowing if they are any good don't think I could part with that kind of money 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a high percentage of Victorians at this forum, I'm sure somebody would have dealt with them, or knows somebody that has.

I just have never mentioned it until now.

Edited by Tweaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, m_ani3 said:

Fair call I'll add the jvc to the list ad well .. On the topic of jvc is there is noticeable difference between the 5500 and the 7500?

Wow just read your thread about your jvc let me say the sample images are outstanding! The contrast ratio looks out of this world! Mate you may have just made me change my projectors choice .. now to see if the 5500 to the 7500 is worth the jump ..

 

there 5500 basically gives you an entry into the jvc land. its the older light engine from the previous jvc so still pretty fantastic on all accounts. it isnt quite there with full coverage of wide colour gamut. and doesnt have the dual iris of the x7500 so not as deep in contrast. plus newer light engine brings a bit more output etc. the 5500 still however gives you uhd capability and at a pretty "affordable" price point. however I cant see why wouldnt go for the 7500 and be done with it given the budget you have :)

 

yep i have to say PQ wiht my epson i used to sit there thinking gee how can it get any better than this. saw jump up with the x35 (now 3 model old jvc) thinking gee how can it get any better than this . to then see the x7000 to go wow ... how can it get any better than this ! they just keep align rabbits out the hat ! :D 

 

 

1 minute ago, Tweaky said:

Quite a big jump in contrast between the 5500 and 7500, I'm in exactly the same boat you are in, as was thinking about getting the Epson, but decided on the JVC 7500 [ when funds allow.

Cheapest I've found [and a LOT cheaper than anybody else- by up to 2.2K cheaper] is RIO in Victoria....I have never dealt with them, so maybe somebody that has might chip in.

https://www.rio.com.au/categories/vision/projection/

 

a couple of places well worth exploring for price ... and after sales 

 

are Oztheatre in QLD. highly recommend for service and aftersales

 

and locally cleff hifi... as a local melbourne place would not hesitate to recommend 

 

and both are highly competitive for pricing ... particularly with pre order deals which is where usually get the best pricing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will bite the bullet I think.. the Rio price seems very good and it's free shipping if I read right and as I live in Tassie shipping can be a ***** ha. Worst case scenario should I encounter any warranty issues at the very least there is acl to fall back on ... btw what kind of prices will I be looking at for lamps?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Well since m_ani3 is in TAS, he might as well go for the cheapest price.

Clef's pricing is RRP of $8800.

I searched around and rang a few places up on prices or the last week or so, of 8 places carrying JVC PJ's 4 quoted $8,800 unless bought as a HT package, two were around $7500, one was slightly cheaper, and RIO was definitely the cheapest.

Since these PJ's were only released in FEB this year, I guess some haven't cottoned on that others are already discounting them, I suppose the prices will even out after a few more months so they are all quoting roughly the same price.

But then you have to wonder, as the #500 series is only a half update, would youm be better off waiting for the 8000 series which might be released at the same time in 2018?

As always with this sort of purchase, it's knowing when to bite the bullet and buy, rather than waiting for any tech updates.

 

I think lamps are on the expensive side - around the $500+ range, but run it in ECO mode and depending on use, your get a good 5 years out of of a lamp [3000 hours]

The replacement lamp for my SONY PJ was around the same, I game a lot on it, and it took me 7 -8 years to rack up 2800 hours on it.

Edited by Tweaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My projector is our main tv computer screen it's out only display hence why lamp life/price is a factor but 500is manageable price 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JVC is quoting 4500 hours in ECO mode for the X7500 lamp.:)

Which is just as well, as replacement lamp is $600 not $500, it still works out at around 0.15c per hour

 

http://au.jvc.com/projectors/accessories/pk_l2615u/

 

https://www.myprojectorlamps.com.au/projector-bulbs/JVC/PK-L2615U.html

 

Edited by Tweaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Well since m_ani3 is in TAS, he might as well go for the cheapest price.

Clef's pricing is RRP of $8800.

I searched around and rang a few places up on prices or the last week or so, of 8 places carrying JVC PJ's 4 quoted $8,800 unless bought as a HT package, two were around $7500, one was slightly cheaper, and RIO was definitely the cheapest.

Since these PJ's were only released in FEB this year, I guess some haven't cottoned on that others are already discounting them, I suppose the prices will even out after a few more months so they are all quoting roughly the same price.

But then you have to wonder, as the #500 series is only a half update, would youm be better off waiting for the 8000 series which might be released at the same time in 2018?

As always with this sort of purchase, it's knowing when to bite the bullet and buy, rather than waiting for any tech updates.

 

I think lamps are on the expensive side - around the $500+ range, but run it in ECO mode and depending on use, your get a good 5 years out of of a lamp [3000 hours]

The replacement lamp for my SONY PJ was around the same, I game a lot on it, and it took me 7 -8 years to rack up 2800 hours on it.

 

tweaky i would never go on rrp no one pays that. as mentioned both ones listed cant be beat for pre order deals, there might be cheaper pricing but worth checking as you have done. as a note many wont give best price on phone, tend to get that in person. too many competitors  ringing around i guess. though if have dealt with prior and know you maybe could do better. but yeah apart from pre order deals typically not much to be seen till run out :)

 

re lamps yes all reports are showing not much drop off even with bit of use which puts some kudos with their long life claims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Cheers for your reply mate , you have been very helpful. I'm going to call around the stores you mentioned and let's see how we go, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, m_ani3 said:

Cheers for your reply mate , you have been very helpful. I'm going to call around the stores you mentioned and let's see how we go, 

 

ps one thing to keep in mind is wiht the jvc they dont include 3D emitter and glasses. since 3D isnt for anyone. didnt bother me as I just usd all that from my last JVC. if buying new its worth keeping in mind as most places will do a deal at purchase for the 3D pack (typically emitter and 4 glasses). can use that as part of bargaining...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was into 3d tbh it's a bit boring now ..Jurassic world was enjoyable in 3d but wearing glasses I can't deal with just takes a way from the experience I think ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, m_ani3 said:

Was into 3d tbh it's a bit boring now ..Jurassic world was enjoyable in 3d but wearing glasses I can't deal with just takes a way from the experience I think ..

 

can just skip on that then. one of reasons they dont bundle in as not everyone is into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


After very careful consideration and speaking to multiple stores and based on my current room,setup I was guided to,buy the 5500 as I don't have a proper ht room setup and difference in my scenario will not be noticeable, just pulled the trigger on the 5500.

 Hey at least this means I can upgrade my computer to,game at 4k ..Thanks a lot for all the input guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, m_ani3 said:

After very careful consideration and speaking to multiple stores and based on my current room,setup I was guided to,buy the 5500 as I don't have a proper ht room setup and difference in my scenario will not be noticeable, just pulled the trigger on the 5500.

 Hey at least this means I can upgrade my computer to,game at 4k ..Thanks a lot for all the input guys

 

surprised in the comment as i dont have a dedicated room and saw the benefits from the epson to the jvc x35 and then to x7000 :)

 

but anyways, dont know your room and decision done ! and can await and enjoy ! the 5500 will be a lot to like no doubt :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised by the recommendation as well, there is a bit of ambient light in my room and as I'm,renting cannot totally block out the light, and it was suggested that the ambient light situation be fixed to,truly appreciate the difference, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on your setting. My room is surrounded with windows 8 off them light filled staircase abd opens up to open plan. But I can close off and have block out curtains with pelmets etc so can appreciate.

 

but can understand if renting and not something can do much with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, m_ani3 said:

After very careful consideration and speaking to multiple stores and based on my current room,setup I was guided to,buy the 5500 as I don't have a proper ht room setup and difference in my scenario will not be noticeable, just pulled the trigger on the 5500.

 Hey at least this means I can upgrade my computer to,game at 4k ..Thanks a lot for all the input guys

 

Just in case you don't know, other than one much more expensive model JVC projectors are not true 4K. They're what they call 4K e-Shift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, m_ani3 said:

After very careful consideration and speaking to multiple stores and based on my current room,setup I was guided to,buy the 5500 as I don't have a proper ht room setup and difference in my scenario will not be noticeable, just pulled the trigger on the 5500.

 Hey at least this means I can upgrade my computer to,game at 4k ..Thanks a lot for all the input guys

 

Would have thought the extra output of the 7500 would have been worth it even more in a compromised room. My wife often exercises in our HT on a spin bike and has the light over her head on and the blind and window open next to the bike for some fresh air, doesn't hurt the image much on our X7000, in fact we often watch TV in there during the day with the door open as well and it's fine, although would close for "critical" viewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But are you watching the image or the wife??[emoji57]for the critical viewing I'm talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just ambient light, it's reflections from any light surface as well.  I got dark curtains to the rear and left and a dark feature wall behind the screen and a dark rug and black speakers. Reflection from the remaining surfaces still lights up the room more than optimal. I just have a basic Sony HT model. Blacker blacks would be wasted in my environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Briz Vegas said:

It's not just ambient light, it's reflections from any light surface as well.  I got dark curtains to the rear and left and a dark feature wall behind the screen and a dark rug and black speakers. Reflection from the remaining surfaces still lights up the room more than optimal. I just have a basic Sony HT model. Blacker blacks would be wasted in my environment.

 

actually in my experience with projectors of improving contrast over two brands and over successive generation of each. infact how i have it to actually work is the greater amount of contrast off the sleeve the more you are left wiht after loosing what you do with reflections. so hence why I for one have seen improvements in contrast over 2 successive projectors of the same brand and then taking a step up to 3rd projector with even better contrast performance ...and then seeing a step up in contrast performance again ! with a next generation of the same brand. I kid you not each time I have been wondering how could get any better and each time seen an improvement to blow me away :D 

 

and yes I do have light surfaces that you get reflections off....jsut about everyone does some where in their room ! not to say people dont work hard to remove...some call them "black hole" theatres ... is they suck light and have lined every conceivable surface in black velour... and even taken attention to their ht lounges aircon vents ... everything !  and not to say this attention doesnt provide benefits. I saw myself going from a lighter coloured carpet to a dark charcoal type :)

 

so yes certainly gains to be had with treating room. however there are gains to be had in contrast as well with what a projector can bring... and even in your typical domestic settings :)

 

I also agree with the below,

 

On 03/04/2017 at 3:56 PM, blybo said:

 

Would have thought the extra output of the 7500 would have been worth it even more in a compromised room. My wife often exercises in our HT on a spin bike and has the light over her head on and the blind and window open next to the bike for some fresh air, doesn't hurt the image much on our X7000, in fact we often watch TV in there during the day with the door open as well and it's fine, although would close for "critical" viewing.

 

its something I've seen as well in my setup. wiht not so critical viewing e.g. could be sport, watching car racing or cricket, and we can open up the rear doors in our room so light filling in back of the room....and wiht the output of the jvcs even older one I had ... was pretty decent the picture displayed.... and also again here the contrast comes in...with the newer jvc even wiht ambient light in the room its quite surpising how good it holds the contrast... because of what it has up the sleeve :) .. more contrast to start with

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...