Owen Y

Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

1 hour ago, RickRycroft said:

I'm having an issue where the records are working their way over away from the motor and sometimes the hand nut coming up against the frame and then it all stops rotating.

The cleaner is on a flat surface and I've tried with different tension when clamping the records and spacers together. The last batch I did last night I tightened it the most I have so far and rather than the bundle of records and spacers working over the whole shaft shifted and fell out of the motor. I have the motor rotating clockwise and the frame isn't moving so the outside of the records are not rubbing on the tank.

It's got me scratching my head. Anyone else had this?

I remember someone else having this issue, caused by a anti-clockwise rotation, rotation must be clockwise, which direction are you using?

Is the bearing nut holding the spindle (at the other end of the motor) moving freely?

Try lowering the motor end, or raising the other end plate.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it's turning clockwise.

I've propped up one side to give a bit of tilt back toward the motor. If that works I'll do as Citroen suggests and lower the motor a bit.

I had this same issue. I just tighten the bejesus out of the nuts and haven't had an issue since. And I mean tight so that there is a heap of pressure on the spacers. Good luck.

Thanks chaps, keep us posted, @RickRycroft.

Good suggestions from @Citroen.

(Sorry, I am out of town travelling presently.)

Cheers, Owen

I think it's the plate the motor is mounted to. It's not quite vertical. I'll bend it a bit and see if that helps.

@RickRycroft, just put some low or medium strength loctite thread locking compound on the nut closest to the motor.  Make sure you screw the nut into the correct position after applying compound.  You'll never have to think about it again.

Thanks acg, that's a good Idea.

I've found that the shaft has comes out of the motor mount sometimes as well. Something is pull the shaft away. What I think was happening when the record stack shifted is that the outside nut rubbed on the frame after the shaft moved out. I might have to put some earplugs in and sit there and watch a session.

Chaps - the main issue, is when for some reason the end bearing unit develops any dirt or friction, the threaded shaft can ‘crawl’ itself out of the motor. Check & keep this bearing unit free-running. (We now rinse out the grease lube in these bearings, if it is too viscous.)

Otherwise, keep things level & be sure that the main frame is centred & does not allow the records to touch the tank ends. (Be sure that the main frame is a firm friction fit into the tank sides - bend the frame edges if necessary to ensure firm fit.)

Install no more than 3 records at a time & run the motor clockwise, as indicated by the arrow on the motor-plate.

As @Citroen says, the 2 side plates must be level/plumb too, but can be adjusted up/down to suit.

We’ve not had to employ any further radical measures 😉

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Try adding an additional piece of metal on the bearing end which goes straight up above the bearing height. It can be held by the same screws as the bearing bracket. Now cut the threaded rod so it only allows for 2-3mm of end play when fully inserted into the motor. This stops the rod from being able to work it's way out of the motor drive.

Hi @t_mike, can you post a pic of what you mean, as I'm a bit lost by your description? Cheers.

I have found that the record migration issue in my case was when the records touched the right end of the bath (with the motor side to the back). Friction fit alone did not work for me, so I stuck two small silicon buttons under the left end of the steel frame to contact the top of the bath more forcefully. Record migration is no longer an issue for me, assuming I run the motor clockwise (which seems to be its least favourite direction!)

On 25/04/2017 at 10:50 AM, andyr said:

Hi Andrew,

Re. vacuum dry vs. air dry ... and the (good) effect of using a 1-micron filter:

• this long weekend, I finally got my 1 micron filter working (with a 12v DC pump), with my Sonix IV US tank.
  • first, I listened to an LP which had been cleaned using the (previous) aquarium filter ... but not vacuumed dry.
  • then I re-cleaned it with the 1-micron filter in circuit ... then blow-dried it.
  • result - quieter!  :thumb:
  • I then re-washed it in the US tank for a couple of minutes - and then used my NG to vacuum it dry.
  • result - no quieter:party

So AFAIAC, using the 1-micron filter takes out all the crap which was in suspension in the water - which was previously resting in the bottom of the grooves with the liquid ... so was still there when the liquid dried (unless I vacuumed it out) and which caused the LP to be noisy.

Removing this crap in suspension results in a quiet record - so the 1-micron filter is doing a much better job than the aquarium filter.  So I no longer need to vacuum dry each side.  :thumb:

So my US cleaning setup consists of the following:

Unfortunately, I sourced these from Amazon - which I hate with a passion, as they don't offer any way of getting in touch with them to ask questions - but I know you can search eBay for the same pump.

Plus the following items from www.ultrasonic records.com:

• 2 spindles with spacers (to take 6 LPs) and a gear wheel.  One spacer for the LPs in the US tank, the 2nd for LPs which are being blow-dried.
  • a frame with a slow-rotation motor, to hold the spindle at just the right height above the US tank.
  • a "Blower Cube" - a box with a powerful fan (and a lid) to blow-dry the LPs.  Unfortunately, this is not 100% effective, as supplied - I had to fit a slow-rev motor to turn the LPs in the airstream ... and I think it would be good to rig up some ceramic resistors in the base of the Cube, to provide a warming effect on the airstream.

So it's not a budget setup - but I believe it cleans just as well - if not better than - the commercial "all-in-one" units and I get to clean 6 LPs at a time.  :D

And my liquid mixture is: 7.8l of distilled water / 400ml of 99% IPA / 8ml of Ilfotrol.

Andy

@andyrI wanted to ask you if the pump you used is self-priming and if it works even not immersed in water, because from the rules on amazon it seems that it only works submerged.
Thank you

21 hours ago, maxpina said:

@andyrI wanted to ask you if the pump you used is self-priming and if it works even not immersed in water, because from the rules on amazon it seems that it only works submerged.
Thank you

No problem, Max.  :)

Not sure what 'self priming' means - all I know is:

• the pump sits on the tiled (spare) bathroom floor - not immersed in water.
  • and it pumps the fluid just fine.

What I have found since I made that post, though, is:

1. having a flow of water into the us tank is not a good idea whilst the tank is switched on (it reduces the effect of the us cleaning action).  So better to run the filter after a cleaning cycle, to remove all the detritus knocked out of the grooves, into solution.
  2. the pump I bought does not have a high duty cycle - so I need to run it for, say, 10 mins filtering and then switch it off during the 10 mins us cleaning.

Andy

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Nessun problema, Max.  :)

Non sono sicuro di cosa significa "autoadescante": tutto quello che so è:

• la pompa si trova sul pavimento del bagno piastrellato (di riserva) - non immerso nell'acqua.
  • e pompa il fluido alla perfezione.

Quello che ho trovato da quando ho fatto quel post, però, è:

1. avere un flusso d'acqua nel serbatoio us non è una buona idea mentre il serbatoio è acceso (riduce l'effetto dell'azione di pulizia degli Stati Uniti). Quindi è meglio far funzionare il filtro dopo un ciclo di pulizia, per rimuovere tutti i detriti buttati fuori dalle scanalature, in soluzione.
  2. la pompa che ho acquistato non ha un ciclo di lavoro elevato - quindi ho bisogno di eseguirlo per, diciamo, filtraggio di 10 minuti e poi spegnerlo durante i 10 minuti di pulizia.

Andy

So @andyr  if I understand correctly you could not do continuous filtration, but stop the ultrasound and filter.
At this point it might be interesting to proceed with a further washing after filtering the liquid, thus having a very clean wash of discs in clean water, obtaining a disk that would not have on the surface of the dirty residue and could be left to dry in the air being sure you have removed everything, what do you say?

Thanks

Max