Owen Y

Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

On 02/02/2020 at 9:55 AM, JPete9 said:

I am getting ready to give this a go.

Do the labels ever get wet? I am not very keen on that.

Is the authoritative process for both precious/collectables and market scores posted somewhere? eg do you use revirginiser/glue or purely the US cleaner? Do you wipe them with something special or how do you dry them? How long do you bath them for?

Any other equipment needed?

Cheers

I use this system and I have never achieved such amazing results.  Previously noisy and unplayable records have become dead quiet and a veil has been lifted, allowing you to hear what is in the grooves, so much so that you can hear the hiss of the master tape and the sound bouncing off the studio walls in some cases.

I did find that around 5% alcohol worked just as well as 20% when I ran short once. I also think the  alcohol does evaporate out of the water therefore reducing the ratio in the fullness of time.

And yes the tissue technique only gets the floating gunk but the gunk on the bottom does not matter so much because it stays there and doesn't get on the vinyl.

They say stylus friction generates enough heat locally to 'plasticise' the vinyl - which is one reason why Kirmuss recommends pre-cleaning new records, in order to remove pressing residue & factory detritus, before first play.

Regardless, the benefits of a good cleaning process are readily audible to anyone who wishes to try for themselves.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Does any one Know of an effective filter system for these tanks.

My unit came with a small fish aquarium filter and pump that attached to the side of the tank, It was completely useless but the concept was good.

I think a better quality one would work, one with a very fine micron filter and the ability to keep up with the pump flow without water tipping over and around the filter reservoir as mine did.

On 04/02/2020 at 5:20 PM, phileaudio said:

Does any one Know of an effective filter system for these tanks.

My unit came with a small fish aquarium filter and pump that attached to the side of the tank, It was completely useless but the concept was good.

I think a better quality one would work, one with a very fine micron filter and the ability to keep up with the pump flow without water tipping over and around the filter reservoir as mine did.

See @Juzbear's filtering set-up om page 47.

Also @maxpina's in Italy, page 46.

Cheers, Owen

A vid that might help those debating what surfactants to use in their LP bath tub.....😉

8 hours ago, stevoz said:

A vid that might help those debating what surfactants to use in their LP bath tub.....😉

I know it's my problem - but this is why I rarely watch YouTube vids ... I'm simply not interested in giving up 27 minutes of my life watching through a video when he could summarise the pros and cons of each of the 4 surfactants in writing ... which would take me 2 minutes to read.

Andy

I could not watch him giggle for more than a couple of minutes. He may have something very interesting to say but I can't stand it.  Sorry.

Since moving about fifteen months ago I have not taken the time to set up the record cleaner, that was until last Saturday when I had to get off my butt as I had said earlier that I would clean a record for April Snow.

I know I have been slack I should have bloody done this over a year ago, I have now cleaned about a dozen records and all sound so much better, all with much fewer ticks and clicks, most sound just like new, others  still not great, but those records look pretty ordinary and any improvement is a bonus.

Anyway I just wanted to thank Owen for coming up with this great and very affordable record cleaning option.

Cheers,

Terry

31525BF5-1C43-466F-837E-31E902F3A0FD.jpeg

Edited by TerryO

Thanks for reporting your results, @TerryO.

Over the last 3 yrs or so, the Ultrasonic record cleaning has proven to be excellent, no downsides.

Importantly too, the pure detergent/surfactant mix IMO consistently provides better sonic results than the previous (traditional alcohol-based) fluids that I've used - more tonally balanced & improved, exhilarating dynamics, consistently - on new & old vinyl.

The stylus just seems to track better, more 'freely' on these records.

I'm not surprised at reports too, that some stylus cleaning fluids are detergent-based.

Cheers, Owen

I think I'll be jumping on board with this soon enough.

Is there any recommendation for Ultrasonic Cleaners on eBay that will definitely fit your attachment @Owen Y??

Someone brought to our attention this ebay.au link for the Ultrasonic Cleaner tank which appears to be the same as what we use & fits our kit:

Price seems good at AU $166.99 for the '6.5L' model. (Model PS-30A)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Heater-Timer-Industrial-Grade-1-3-30L/282539569913?hash=item41c8abb2f9:m:mZod3FFNC6C2NgX0NKn8Ixw&frcectupt=true

Others here may have other ebay.au suggestions.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Hi,

I use Polysorbate 20 in my mix, no IPO. Is this better, worse or as good as Triton x-100 ?

The Polysorbate makes the water cling to the record, I was just wondering if it was as effective a detergent.

Mr Relish

53 minutes ago, Monkey_Relish said:

Hi,

I use Polysorbate 20 in my mix, no IPO. Is this better, worse or as good as Triton x-100 ?

The Polysorbate makes the water cling to the record, I was just wondering if it was as effective a detergent.

Mr Relish

I have only had a small opportunity to test the cleaner so far, but I too have only used Polysorbate 20. It was a rough measurement of a capful into the US tank.

I suspect this was too much, as I don't have a vacuum to remove liquid after and rely on a water Spin Clean rinse. Accounts of this Polysorbate/Leaf substance appear to be uncommon online. 

Also interested to hear other's thoughts.

57 minutes ago, Monkey_Relish said:

Hi,

Mr Relish

You do not want to use stuff which makes the liquid cling to the record's surface.

You want to use a surfactant ... which reduces the liquid's surface tension and makes it fall off the LP's surface.

Andy

Hi @crtexcnndrm99 - I believe that the Polysorbate 20 is a good alternative to Triton X-100 (or Tergisol etc) - pure detergent concentrates.

It is a non-ionic surfactant (ie used as a detergent, reducing surface tension, allowing the liquid mix to attach to  vinyl to 'solubilise' dirt.

Being non-ionic (neutral pH), you are also not contributing to any static charge.

@georgesgiralt earlier on this thread, recommended Tween 20 (polysorbate) as a more environmentally responsible alternative to Triton X-100.

(Although Triton X-100 we use it at 1:1000 dilution &, unlike most household cleaning products, has no additives, many of which are harmful to the environment in different ways.)

You should be able to use the Polysorbate concentrate at similar dilutions - 0.1% to 0.5% is adequate - ie. 1:1000 to 1:200.

I have not tried Polysorbate 20 myself yet, but will do at some stage.

Cheers, Owen

Hello Guys,

I tried Polysorbate 20 but I have yet to get the proper concentration. At first I used the manufacturer suggested value. It is way too much and had to rinse the records 4 times plus one in distilled water to get rid of the product.

I was told that the Polysorbate does not keep well and you have to let it in the fridge. Also, i was told there are better Tergitol out there for the job at hand but I do not know the name of them...

All in all, I am satisfied with the Polysorbate and I have a batch of records to clean to test the final dilution. I will report when this is done and what is the outcome.

21 hours ago, andyr said:

You do not want to use stuff which makes the liquid cling to the record's surface.

You want to use a surfactant ... which reduces the liquid's surface tension and makes it fall off the LP's surface.

Andy

I‘m not Dr Chemistry, but without polysorbate, the water doesn’t cling to the record as it rotates, I assume the surface tension is too great, like water off a ducks back. With polysorbate, a thin layer of water clings to the record as it rotates. So, the polysorbate has reduced surface tension. Also allowing the water to get into the grooves, along with the ultrasonic bubbles.

Mr Relish

1 hour ago, georgesgiralt said:

Hello Guys,

I tried Polysorbate 20 but I have yet to get the proper concentration. At first I used the manufacturer suggested value. It is way too much and had to rinse the records 4 times plus one in distilled water to get rid of the product.

I was told that the Polysorbate does not keep well and you have to let it in the fridge. Also, i was told there are better Tergitol out there for the job at hand but I do not know the name of them...

All in all, I am satisfied with the Polysorbate and I have a batch of records to clean to test the final dilution. I will report when this is done and what is the outcome.

How much do you add to 5l of distilled water ?

Mr Relish

Around 15 ml as per the seller's instructions....

Around 5mL per 5000mL is 0.1%.

I'd say 5-10mL works fine.

Thanks for feedback on the Polysorbate - @georgesgiralt

I wouldn't be too concerned about a little detergent-surfactant residue on the records .

Cheers, Owen

Hi !

Just checked my notes. The Polysorbate was at 35 ml as per the seller's instruction (he said between 35 and 50 ml for 5 L mix).

Do not trust your memory ....

Have a nice day !