Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

2 hours ago, georgesgiralt said:

Hello Owen,

I'll try to run a batch without heating. I suspect that the microfiber cloth on the vac end is the culprit. I tried to look at one deposit making the pop with a very high magnifying glass (20x) and I saw nothing so it is smaller than something a 20x glass can show... And still give a big noise...

I was using a microfibre cloth from Bunnings, one of the cheaper ones you get in a pack of 6 or 8, to dry CDs after washing them. I found that if you held the CD at an angle to see the light reflected off it, you could just make out hundreds of tiny pieces of fibre. The cloths in question are the ones that have a cut pile sort of texture, similar to a shag pile carpet in miniature.

Even though it didn't seem to be a problem on the CDs, possibly because the pieces aren't big enough to obscure the pits, it could possibly affect playback of a LP.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Andrew,   Re. vacuum dry vs. air dry ... and the (good) effect of using a 1-micron filter: this long weekend, I finally got my 1 micron filter working (with a 12v DC pump), with my

And looking at eBay there are wire record holders which cost you at least $50 shipped. What a rip off.   I thought there must be something that looks similar in the Officeworks...and they ha

Just thought i would share my set up...

1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

...a microfibre cloth from Bunnings... I found that if you held the CD at an angle to see the light reflected off it, you could just make out hundreds of tiny pieces of fibre. The cloths in question are the ones that have a cut pile sort of texture, similar to a shag pile carpet in miniature.

I use Wonder Cloths in the kitchen, they sound similar to your cut-pile bunnings cloths. When I use a new one it sheds tiny (micro I guess) fibres all over the place until it's used and rinsed a few times.

The micro fibre towel type cloths like the Meguiars Glass Cloth available at Supercheap/Autobarn/etc don't seem to have that fibre shedding issue.

Edited by pwstereo
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, georgesgiralt said:

Hello Owen,

I'll try to run a batch without heating. I suspect that the microfiber cloth on the vac end is the culprit. I tried to look at one deposit making the pop with a very high magnifying glass (20x) and I saw nothing so it is smaller than something a 20x glass can show... And still give a big noise...

George, I suggest a "microfibre cloth on the vac end " is not a good idea  Is this a vac machine you have put together?

My experience has been that you need to:

• dry the LP using a 'wet/vac machine' like a Nitty Gritty to suck the gunk (in solution) out of the wet grooves
  • or use a filter loop (1 micron or less) off your us tank, so that there is no gunk in the solution at the bottom of the grooves.  Then you can air dry the LPs - or, better, blow dry them.

Andy

Hi,

The Us machine is running. Cold, one record at a time. I will soon run out of distilled water and can't buy the supplies for a filtration device. So experiment will stop soon. And it is fortunate, the missus is fed of hearing Tosca and Fidelio again and again. She is more into Punk Rock and Roll music right now 😉

Here is a picture of the suction device I put on my vacuum shop cleaner and the microcloth I used to protect the records. (a new one because I dumped the original after discovering the damage...)

I bet I did something wrong ....

IMG_20200406_160007.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, this time, Miss Tosca is fixed good ! 4 time in the US, the last one cold and one disc at a time for around 15 minutes each record.

Now, I've to run the other record set I "cleaned" with the first method...

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hi @Pipey - no problem, we have just received a new batch of some of the parts.

We can usually have a kit packed in 2-3 days.

Kit price is A$149 + airmail $16.

(Can vary a little with exch rate.)

Kit parts are as per pic below.

If OK, just Message me your postal name & address & confirm your email for Paypal.

(A paypal request will be sent only after your kit is packed ready to ship.)

Assembly is mostly self explanatory, but we include instructions & some cleaning tips & information.

Feel free to ask any Qs.

You need to purchase the ultrasonic tank & rotisserie motor.

Cheers, Owen

https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com

uscm.jpg.73c9480032f1276500cfbafc297eb524.jpg

(The black marks on the 2 smaller SS plates are just laser-cutting burns on the protective plastic film.)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hurcorh said:

I can't find anywhere with the 6L utrasonic in stock under $200 or so at the moment, anyone else had any luck? 

Now that is interesting, been a while since I've even looked. That throws a spanner in the works. 

You're welcome, there are plenty of sellers on Aliexpress selling exactly the same stuff with different brand names so search for PS-30A.

If I'm not mistaken, it seems a lot of companies share the same design and produce quite exactly the same stuff maybe designed by an official agency of some sort.

It appears so with an automotive timing lamp I bought 3 years ago. A friend of mine bought one without telling me and the function identically, are very very similar inside but different knobs and brand. Each part on one can go on the other ! Funny !

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How does one attach a wall wart to a submersible pump, please? 12v DC and wallwart of suitable amperage.

s-l1600.jpg.eb2e858d50bdfa115d794b171581610a.jpg

I've asked silly questions before on SNA and will ask silly ones again in the future I'm sure. This is today's.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

Your pump should have a label stating the voltage (12V, obviously) and amperage it needs.

You have to buy a power supply apt to deliver 12V at the listed amperage or more (if the pump need 1A, try to find a 2A power supply to have some room).

Then, you have to plug one to the other.  I see that your pump has a red and a black wire.  The power supply you buy may have a plug at the end of the cable. If it has on the case, you'll find the wiring of the plug.

Now, up to you, either you find a mating plug and solder it to the pump or you cut the plug and solder the wires directly, put a connector of some sort, or anything that can isolate the wires properly and be sufficiently waterproof (the pump pumps water... so you will have water lying around, and even if 12V is not hazardous, a short may kill your power supply...)

Honestly, it is not rocket science. The power supply will have two wires of different colours. As you have the wiring on the case, you can tell which is the "+" and goes to the red one on the pump and which one is the "-" and goes to the black wire on the pump.

If you test the pump, install the plumbing first. Most often, these pumps die if run without water in them...

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thank you. The 2 amps figure I wouldn't have got to myself, nor that the pump could die if switched on and nothing to pump. Appreciated. For me, Ohm's Law was so last millennium. 

I've been cautious ever since seeing a graph which showed that there's little room for error in voltage on wallwarts: when you need 12volt, then use 12 volt not 14 volt or 10 volt. [Rummages through 12v wall warts in box in garage: inventory of 6 at 0.5 to 1 amp, 3 at up to 1.5 amp, 1 at 2 amp and 1 at 2.5amp. The latter allows me to switch between various voltages from 5 to 14]. I'll use the 2 amp. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

My PS-30A UC just died on me.  Not much luck finding a replacement probably due to covid 19.  Can someone offer any advice as too where to purchase these. I have tried ebay and Aliexpress.  The shipping via Aliexpress is huge.

20 hours ago, Owen Y said:

Thanks for that Owen.  A very long estimated delivery time.  Can these sellers be trusted to deliver?  What about the https://unisonics.com.au/collections/commercial-ultrasonic-cleaner/products/fxp12?variant=32134505595015 from an Australian supplier.  Much more expensive but it might be a better long term solution assuming Owens adapter fits on the top on this unit.

Hello,

I've bought some things from Aliexpress.

Yes, the delivery time can be awfully long but you are provided with a tracking number.

And if for any reason the package does not reach you, or the parcel is not fit for the job or as described you have Aliexpress insurance to reimburse you I used it a couple of time for item not showing. It was really quick.

As per your Australian unit, if it is like the one on aliexpress, it may come direct from China. You will support your country buying from them. Customs, taxes and people working there. it's your choice. Bear in mind that some shops are Aliexpress sellers proxy.

Hope this helps.

P.S. : mine come direct from China. And do a search on aliexpress for PS-30A ultrasonic cleaner and sort by terms like price and/or free shipping and see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, balk2117 said:

Thanks for that Owen.  A very long estimated delivery time.  Can these sellers be trusted to deliver?  What about the https://unisonics.com.au/collections/commercial-ultrasonic-cleaner/products/fxp12?variant=32134505595015 from an Australian supplier.  Much more expensive but it might be a better long term solution assuming Owens adapter fits on the top on this unit.

As you say quite costly. This one appears to be in stock for  $212.99 including post from Sydney. Not as cheap as they used to be but that is probably due to covid and supply issues.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6L-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Cleaning-Industry-Stainless-Steel-Digital-Timer-Heater-AU/183961676594?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130149%26meid%3Db1822480bf3842c5b84fe89be7f9fb3c%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D173240414757%26itm%3D183961676594%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion%26brand%3DVEVOR&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, EV Cali said:

I ordered mine last night and got a notification that it's been posted. I didn't want to go through aliexpress. Cheers @EV Cali

Edited by Pipey
  • Like 1
On 16/07/2020 at 4:16 PM, EV Cali said:

Thanks for the link.  Just managed to purchase another one from Amazon for $209 with free shipping.  Lets hope this last longer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 10:28 AM, balk2117 said:

Thanks for the link.  Just managed to purchase another one from Amazon for $209 with free shipping.  Lets hope this last longer.

Hi, did you got it at a discount? I tried to search it in amazon ang can't find it for $209.

On 16/08/2020 at 12:52 PM, 7droid said:

Hi, did you got it at a discount? I tried to search it in amazon ang can't find it for $209.

Yes, that's what I paid for it with free delivery.  It has arrived and I have done one clean with this new UC.

On 16/07/2020 at 4:16 PM, EV Cali said:

I contacted the Seller and asked about the Warranty.

He says they will offer 2 years - but I'm skeptical about the return/replacement.

Having had two units both fail in the last year, I'm more skeptical than ever, unfortunately.  :( 

Got my kit yesterday and put all the pieces together this morning.  Waiting on the reagents now so I can start cleaning. But I’m impatient. Has anyone used Finish or something readily available at Coles or bunnings for a surfactant?

Hi @Pipey - you can ultrasonic clean quite well with just plain water.

The surfactant adds some 'detergent' action esp. if your records are v dirty & speeds up air-drying by surface filming.

If you vacuum-dry, then the latter is un-important.

I think the surfactant/detergent cleaned vinyl tracks better afterwards too. 

I'd avoid unnecessary contaminants.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @charlie_bird, a a quick summary....

Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner was inspired by ideas & work done by others on the 'net (see p.1).

A couple of us developed a prototype into a 'kit' (see P.2).

Many kits enabled us to place larger batch orders (SS laser-cuts & parts) & then offer attractively priced kits.

(Metal lasercutting is contracted out to an engineering shop, plastic moulding is done by my son, other parts are ordered in. Some machine work, cleaning up, pre-assembly & packing etc is largely done by me. We cover our costs + a bit for our time. We are spare-time enthusiasts, this is not an all-out business ;) )

IMG_1421.JPG.60aebe3451e8a819519c7acd4fab5582.JPG

EDIT: I forgot, current price of the 'kit' is A$149 + airmail postage $15 approx.

You will need to buy:

- Ultrasonic Cleaner Tank model PS-30A, 6L/6.5L size.

- 'Gasmate' BBQ Rotisserie motor (eg. from Bunnings, as below)

More info on this blog page - https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/05/12/ultrasonic-record-cleaning-pt-2/

Cheers, Owen

ps30a.jpg.fa6075b83219f88ba3eca28a3e66bc1c.jpg

ps30a-2.jpg.7bdcad8dab246c1da8cf34e8aa2091cb.jpg

Gasmate.jpg.f89937544c000463441509a8b3630ee0.jpg

Edited by Owen Y
  • Like 1

Was going to buy some of this to make a cleaning solution, and now it's sold out (in a suburb where everyone's panic buying water!)
I hope people know it's dangerous to drink de-mineralised water!

🙃

image.png.bea5ba396bf19308d9112b0f96a7316b.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A USA enthusiast asked recently how easy is it to load & remove records from the tank, with our system..

I don't have a video but the images below I think show how the spindle is simply removed by hand (one hand), records loaded/unloaded & then re-inserted into the motor drive.

Oh, the spacers are semi-soft & do not damage the record labels.

Cheers, Owen

IMG_9310.jpg

IMG_6567 -1.jpg

Looks like the Ultrasonic baths have come down in price again from $213 to $160 including post.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10L-Ultrasonic-Cleaners-Cleaning-Equipment-Liter-Industry-Heated-W-Timer-Heater/192801202538?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111314%26meid%3D80f5715ee72e4a8ba25cd3e6c1180f75%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D264155991076%26itm%3D192801202538%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b%26brand%3DVEVOR&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

But after putting a 10lt bath in my watch list I got an offer of 5% off and purchased one for AU $144.39 including post

From looking at other listings it appears to have 4 transducers instead of the 6lt baths 3 transducers.  

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353367708490

10lt  will not work with the kit though

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

6 Litre Ultrasonic Cleaner Tank -

An updated ebay.au link I've just been given for this item - 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Stainless-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultra-Sonic-Bath-Cleaning-Tank-Timer-Heate-/183927416168?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

(See pic of tank above - model PS-30A) 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y