Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

9 hours ago, maxpina said:

Sorry but what is the "Dryer Cube"?

Look up David's website, Max:  www.ultrasonicrecords.com

Andy

10 hours ago, andyr said:

Look up David's website, Max:  www.ultrasonicrecords.com

Andy

@andyr but the dryer cube is the ultrasonic cleaning system right? I thought it was a machine to do the drying operation! How do you dry the vinyl after doing the ultrasound operation?

2 hours ago, maxpina said:

@andyr but the dryer cube is the ultrasonic cleaning system right? I thought it was a machine to do the drying operation! How do you dry the vinyl after doing the ultrasound operation?

No Max, the 'Dryer Cube' is a fan-blow drying box - for drying the LPs after they have been cleaned in an us tank.

I use David's rod & spacers which allow me to fit 6x LPs together, in my 10l (extra wide) us tank ... then I simply transfer the rod+LPs to the Dryer Cube, for drying.

I didn't buy David's us tank because, at that stage, he was only selling a 40kHz tank ... and I wanted a 60kHz tank.

Andy

@andyr wow, I didn't think you could have a 60 khz tank, the effect you have at this frequency is less energetic but more precise and the car is also less noisy, I searched on the internet but I didn't find tank at that frequency, I'm all at 40, like the one I bought, is the drying system cold? It could be built with the fans of PC houses ...

I'd like to know if anyone has tried with the 1 micron cartridge filtering system, while doing the ultrasonic cleaning, this because you would always have the liquid clean and when you take out the vinyl from the tank it shouldn't have residues on the surface, this it would allow the suction operation to be eliminated but the drying operation to be carried out immediately.
On the net I found people who say that doing it while you work decreases the power of cavitation and therefore of cleaning the ultrasound system.

Thanks

1 hour ago, maxpina said:

I'd like to know if anyone has tried with the 1 micron cartridge filtering system, while doing the ultrasonic cleaning, this because you would always have the liquid clean and when you take out the vinyl from the tank it shouldn't have residues on the surface, this it would allow the suction operation to be eliminated but the drying operation to be carried out immediately.
On the net I found people who say that doing it while you work decreases the power of cavitation and therefore of cleaning the ultrasound system.

Thanks

That's what I have been doing Max - but then I read the same posts (about it reducing the effectiveness of the us cleaning!  :) ).

So now I plan to filter ... then clean ... then filter ... etc.

Andy

Another happy owner of Owen's kit here.   I cleaned my first batches of LPs today (4 per batch).  0.1% triton solution in distilled water, no heat,  25minute US clean + air dry.  I tried rinsing after the clean, but was making too much mess so gave up.

After one clean, I have generally experienced only minor improvement on LPs purchased new, but quite a noticeable background noise improvement on 2nd hand LPs.    I'm not getting silent background noise, but I wasn't expecting it either.   After reading other comments in this thread, I'm considering getting a KAB EV-1  to vacuum dry after cleaning.  

The US tank is quite noisey, so it looks like cleaning will be restricted to weekends when the rest of the family are out of the house :)

Cheers,

Moh.

Edited by Moh

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Paul-H
      Item: RCM Sensor 2 Phono stage + Kuzma Stabi-S Turntable (with PS2 speed controller) + Stogi-S Tonearm + Lyra Delos Cart
      Price:
      RCM SENSOR 2 = $3800  - SOLD (TT still available)
      KUZMA STABI-S TT + STOGI-S tonearm + PS2 Upgraded Power supply + LYRA DELOS MC Cartridge = $6750
      (comes with free perspex dust cover, as per photos)
      Package Deal: $10K (RRP for this setup is approx 15K. Please note I prefer to sell this whole package COMPLETE)
      Item Condition: 9.5/10
      Reason for selling: Have purchased a new car and need funds for that.
      Payment Method: Cash on Pickup or Bank Deposit. Paypal is my last preference and you will need to pay an extra 3%.
      Preference given to local pickup VIC buyers.
      I can send interstate at buyers expense, but very much prefer not to because of risk of damage.
      Extra Info: I bought these last year from Sonic Purity in May 2018, so this gear is approx 1 year old.
      The sale is somewhat regrettable, however I have other priorities now.
      The RCM Sensor 2 phono stage is magic and extracts every detail from the Cartridge while giving strong bass.
      (Has Furutech Connections, and external latest power supply)
      There are many reviews online about the phono stage and many who have heard it will confirm its high reputation.
      It has a multitude of loading and gain options.
      https://sonicpurity.com.au/store/phono-stages/rcm-sensor-2
      The Kuzma Turntable is equally amazing in sound and build quality.
      Latest 2018 30mm thick platter!
      https://sonicpurity.com.au/store/turntables/kuzma-stabi-s
      It has the upgraded power supply which means you don't need to change pulleys etc to change the speed.
      The speed controller has a digital display.
      It comes with Stogi-S tonearm, and LYRA DELOS cartridge. (has had little use, but is run in. I honestly don't know the hours)
      Those who know this cartridge can tell you that its super detailed in the high frequencies and still has gorgeous midrange and strong bass.
      Cartridge azimuth has been painstakingly set up by Rom at Sonic purity, using computer software.
      I look after my equipment with a lot of care and live in a smoke free / pet free home.
      Auditions are welcome at my home only for SERIOUS BUYERS.
      Upon sale I always make donations to SNA.
      Thanks for watching.
      Cheers,
      Paul.
      Happy Easter to all.

Pictures:

• By jbgti
      Item: RCM Sensor Prelude IC Phono stage with Furutech upgrades
      Price: $1590 
      Item Condition: 9/10 used but petty much mint
      Reason for selling: Upgrade! 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: This is an amazing phono stage. I have enjoyed it very much. Am only selling as I have upgraded.

Will drive pretty much all cartridges. Has plenty of gain. Many loading options, see pictures.

Bang for buck this is the best thing you could give your analogue system! 

Boxed up and ready to post if required.
      Pictures:

• By iceman
      Item: RCM Sensor Prelude IC Phono Stage with Furutech upgrades.
      Price: $1900
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Simplifying setup
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, bank transfer
      Extra Info: Highly regarded phono stage capable of retrieving the finest detail out of moving magnet and moving coil cartridges.  Many positive reviews online.  Very adjustable. RCA and XLR outputs.

http://www.10audio.com/rcm_sensor_prelude_ic.htm

Pictures:

• By Demondes
      Item: RCM Sensor in Black (1st owner purchased new from PMG), includes the furutech upgrades which were an option
      Price: SOLD (current RRP $4995)
      Item Condition: Excellent, purchased Oct 2016
      Reason for selling: Currently reassessing priorities in 2018 and need cash
      1) Baby expected early May
      2) Moved to smaller apartment (reason for advertising my CH2 - large speakers)
      3) will be working overseas in China for a chunk of time this year

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (+3%) or DD
      Extra Info:  Anyone who knows this phono stage will know it is flexible, adjustable for many MC and MM configs, and is simply a great sounding solid state phono amp.
      Retail link : https://sonicpurity.com.au/store/rcm/products/rcm-sensor-2

Pictures: Photos to come tonight