Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

On 20/05/2017 at 7:54 PM, andyr said:

But of course, yes, eventually the fluid in the US tank needs to be replaced.  But this is after, say, 50-100 LPs (6 at a time) ... instead of after one batch of 6.

Andy

Hi @andyr (and anyone else),

Would you say, now with 3-4years experience since the above post, that the above is still a good guide for fluid replenishment? 

I just cleaned 30 records over the weekend and was just wondering if I should replenish now or even just add another ml or 2 of Triton x 100. 

FYI, cleaning 2 records at a time at 20-25 minute cycles.

Using a 1 micron sediment filter and run it for a few minutes between every clean while loading up the next batch of records.

Cheers

Russ

Edited by Rustee
typo

11 minutes ago, Rustee said:

Hi @andyr (and anyone else),

Would you say, now with 3-4years experience since the above post, that the above is still a good guide for fluid replenishment? 

I just cleaned 30 records over the weekend and was just wondering if I should replenish now or even just add another ml or 2 or Triton x 100. 

FYI, cleaning 2 records at a time at 20-25 minute cycles.

Using a 1 micron sediment filter and run it for a few minutes between every clean while loading up the next batch of records.

Cheers

Russ

Good question, Russ.

30 LPs, 2 at a time - so 15 cycles of 20 mins.  5 or 6 hours.

I haven't done any US cleaning for a while but I think now I would be a bit more conservative:

1. only 3 LPs at a time (in my wide tank), so as to get maximum cleaning efficacy.
  2. 15 cycles max.
  3. top up your cleaning fluid every 3 cycles, to make sure the water is always at the right level.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Hi @Rustee

I use my US cleaner a couple of times a week.

I use tap water with one drop of detergent in the tank befor a clean. I also use a 0.5 Micron  Water Filter and clean the water before a cleaning session and for the last 5 minutes of a 25 minute clean. I then vacume to help drying.

I do not feel any real need to change the water but may change it every couple of months, after all it is only tap water so there is no cost, the fillter is changed about every 6 months but it all depends how much you use it.

I would normaly have to top up the tank water before and during cleaning sessions.

Don't get too hung up on this what ever works for you is good and there is always more than one way to achive the same result.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @EV Cali. I too was wondering if demin/distilled water was really essential and if tap water would suffice, especially when running a filter.

When you say detergent, do you mean normal dishwashing stuff or are you referring to products like Triton X100 etc..?

Cheers,

Russ

19 minutes ago, Rustee said:

Thanks @EV Cali. I too was wondering if demin/distilled water was really essential and if tap water would suffice, especially when running a filter.

When you say detergent, do you mean normal dishwashing stuff or are you referring to products like Triton X100 etc..?

Cheers,

Russ

Normal dishwashing stuff and I just let 1 drop fall from the bottel. I have used Isotonic alcohol and photo flow previously but do not now belive they are requierd.

I have also used non wax car soap previously, on the basis that it did not contain sodium as a an abrasive, but I felt that one drop of soap in 10lts of water would not make too much diffrence so now just use normal dishwashing liquid.

If a record is really dirty I will wash it with a soft brush and a stronger soap and water solution, rinse the soap off and then use the US cleaner.

With regard to using distilled water, once you have cleaned the first record you can not really consider the water to be distilled water as it is contaminated with dirt so most of the benifit over tap water must have disapeared and by the the time you clean the thirtieth record the water must have no resembalance to distiled water.

But I do think that you should probaly only go to tap water if you are also using a 0.5 Micron  Water Filter.

19 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

With regard to using distilled water, once you have cleaned the first record you can not really consider the water to be distilled water as it is contaminated with dirt so most of the benifit over tap water must have disapeared and by the the time you clean the thirtieth record the water must have no resembalance to distiled water.

Good point :thumb:

19 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

But I do think that you should probaly only go to tap water if you are also using a 0.5 Micron  Water Filter.

I was tossing up between the 0.5 and 1 micron filters but went with the 1. Still have a couple of containers of the demineralised water - bunnings don't seem to carry distilled water for some reason.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

With regard to using distilled water, once you have cleaned the first record you can not really consider the water to be distilled water as it is contaminated with dirt so most of the benifit over tap water must have disappeared and by the the time you clean the thirtieth record the water must have no resemblance to distilled water.

Ummm - that's why you use a water filter (so the dirt is removed from the liquid).  :)

Andy

12 minutes ago, andyr said:

Ummm - that's why you use a water filter (so the dirt is removed from the liquid).  :)

Andy

For clarification. I was referining to, what I would take to be most of the people who use distiled water and who do not use a filter,and IMHO  they would not derive much advatage from its use after the first record is cleaned and if they do use a 0.5 micron filter there is probaly no need the use distiled water.

35 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

For clarification. I was referring to, what I would take to be most of the people who use distilled water and who do not use a filter, and IMHO  they would not derive much advantage from its use after the first record is cleaned and if they do use a 0.5 micron filter there is probably no need the use distilled water.

Mmmm, IMV - you didn't spend enough time defining your thought process in your post, Robin.  :)

My thought process is as follows:

• as the US cleaning process blasts gunk out of the grooves into the cleaning liquid ... obviously - if you are going to use the same tank of liquid to clean successive LPs - you need to use a filter, to take the crap out of solution.
  • 0.5 micron is the ultimate ... but 1 micron is perfectly acceptable.
  • even with a filter, I would never use tap water - although I agree ... water quality (specifically, the amount of particulates) varies in different regions of Oz.  Much safer, though, to use distilled water.  After all - it's not exactly expensive.  :)

Andy

9 hours ago, Leinster Lad said:

I am always amazed at how dirty the water gets. Lots of really small bits in suspension. (and crud on the bottom of the tank )

I am working on a filtration system for mine using a 1 micron filter cartridge and a 12v high pressure diaphram pump.

Yep me too. I finally connected up a filtration system and what a difference! Water stays crystal clean, visually at least.

Ill run it in between cleans whilst fluffing about changing records over and also quite often will run it even with the records still spinning in the tank for a while after the clean. At least i know i am removing them from clean water.

Cheers,

Russ

A67E465F-822B-4059-BB14-DB56CE585DF9.jpeg

• Like 2

I plan on using the return (clean) water to run over the exposed part of the record(s) being cleaned.  Like an active rinse while they are turning.

Plan to use those little micro spray nozzles for retic. No idea how many I'll need but will end up being quite effective I hope !

• Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, Leinster Lad said:

I plan on using the return (clean) water to run over the exposed part of the record(s) being cleaned.  Like an active rinse while they are turning.

I like that idea.

On 02/11/2021 at 12:50 PM, Leinster Lad said:

What pump and filter cartridge (micron) are you using ?

1 micron filter - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222566687166

Brushless circ pump - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282784626891 

Edited by Rustee
typo

Hi all. It's been a while. Looks like the humminguru is finally shipping to kickstarter backers and pre-orderers. General orders start nov 18th. Initial reports on the facebook page seem decent - does what it says on the tin - but I am yet to see a really deep dive review.

Will probably order one on the 18th to complement my vevor setup in the garage - something a bit more at home inside :)

3 hours ago, Leinster Lad said:

What kind of water flow do you get Russ?

Hey Dave, I haven't measured it but it is pretty damn good, more than I expected even through the filter. Nice flow coming from the 10mm dump back into the tank. When I emptied the tank a few days ago, it only took what felt like maybe 10 seconds to empty the 5-6 litres of solution in the tank.

Next time I replace the solution I'll time it for you. I dare say it will be a lot more than the 6 l/min pump you linked.

I know photos don't give a good indication of flow but you can sort of get an idea from the pic below.

37CE81A9-6CA7-4040-BF6F-7F60BEB73634.jpeg

Edited by Rustee

Hey Russ, that looks like a decent flow, even thru a 1 micron filter !

Maybe I don't need to go with a high pressure pump ??

Anyways, heaps of water there to run as a rinse over the exposed parts of the record being cleaned.

Maybe even a "pre-rinse tank separate with gravity / overflow back into the main US tank?

Oh the possibilities !!!

I do need to get the drying phase sorted out though.....

58 minutes ago, Leinster Lad said:

looks like a decent flow, even thru a 1 micron filter !

I've just ordered a 0.5 micron filter so I'll see how the flow compares. But yes its very good with the 1 micron.

Maybe I don't need to go with a high pressure pump ??

I wouldn't think so. I went for a high pressure pump in my shower set up in my 4WD and having a shower is like standing under someone going for a pee! I know its a different application, but my point is: high pressure pumps generally offer low flow.

Anyways, heaps of water there to run as a rinse over the exposed parts of the record being cleaned.

Thinking about this more, I' not sure this would be worth it as the other side of the record going back into the tank as it rotates.

Maybe even a "pre-rinse tank separate with gravity / overflow back into the main US tank?

Haha that would work.

I do need to get the drying phase sorted out though.....

Air drying is working fine for me. The file racks from office works are perfect, no contact on the grooved part of the record. Like it was made for records!

08FB924E-2F78-4C9F-A680-0C6348D37F92.jpeg

Edited by Rustee

On 03/11/2021 at 6:59 PM, Leinster Lad said:

What kind of water flow do you get Russ?

Hi Dave, dumped the tank this morning after cleaning a good 50 records over the weekend (using a filter is the best I gotta say).

With the 1 micron filter it took 40 seconds to empty a full tank. 

Will test again once the 0.5 turns up.

Cheers,

Edit - 0.5 micron filter tested and it also took 40 seconds to dump full tank. 

Edited by Rustee
Added comment

• 2 years later...
On 8/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, Jerm said:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jeremy and I am Owen's son. Thanks to those that have left kind words about Dad, it means a lot.

I helped Dad develop the kit after he saw EV Cali's and others online, I also ended up taking care of most of the manufacturing. It was originally for his personal use but he thought there may be some demand so I designed it in such a way that it could be packed down to a relatively shipping friendly form factor. 

Regarding the above quote, I'm sure Dad would have been more than happy to see the discussion on this thread continue in his absence. He was always interested in hearing other peoples experiences and opinions in relation to this topic. 

PS. @Deeb0  (and anyone else) I think there is still some stock of parts at Dad's house and I can look at putting a kit together for you if you are still interested. When these parts run out, depending on demand I may or may not organise replenishment.

Unfortunately I only just saw Owen’s sons Jeremy’s post about Owen passing away back in 21 and while very late I would still like to pass on my condolences to him as I always found Owen to be extremely helpful and friendly.

Owen managed to open my eyes about how good and useful an Ultrasonic record cleaner is and he also got many of us into a very affordable Ultrasonic cleaner option.

Vale Owen and a belated thank you.

Regards 

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 3

Morning all...

I have one of these original kits from Owen that I have found during a recent house move.... any recommendations on where to buy the ps-30a ultrasonic cleaner mentioned that mates with this kit????

Kind Regards