Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

You're welcome, there are plenty of sellers on Aliexpress selling exactly the same stuff with different brand names so search for PS-30A.

If I'm not mistaken, it seems a lot of companies share the same design and produce quite exactly the same stuff maybe designed by an official agency of some sort.

It appears so with an automotive timing lamp I bought 3 years ago. A friend of mine bought one without telling me and the function identically, are very very similar inside but different knobs and brand. Each part on one can go on the other ! Funny !

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Your pump should have a label stating the voltage (12V, obviously) and amperage it needs.

You have to buy a power supply apt to deliver 12V at the listed amperage or more (if the pump need 1A, try to find a 2A power supply to have some room).

Then, you have to plug one to the other.  I see that your pump has a red and a black wire.  The power supply you buy may have a plug at the end of the cable. If it has on the case, you'll find the wiring of the plug.

Now, up to you, either you find a mating plug and solder it to the pump or you cut the plug and solder the wires directly, put a connector of some sort, or anything that can isolate the wires properly and be sufficiently waterproof (the pump pumps water... so you will have water lying around, and even if 12V is not hazardous, a short may kill your power supply...)

Honestly, it is not rocket science. The power supply will have two wires of different colours. As you have the wiring on the case, you can tell which is the "+" and goes to the red one on the pump and which one is the "-" and goes to the black wire on the pump.

If you test the pump, install the plumbing first. Most often, these pumps die if run without water in them...

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thank you. The 2 amps figure I wouldn't have got to myself, nor that the pump could die if switched on and nothing to pump. Appreciated. For me, Ohm's Law was so last millennium. 

I've been cautious ever since seeing a graph which showed that there's little room for error in voltage on wallwarts: when you need 12volt, then use 12 volt not 14 volt or 10 volt. [Rummages through 12v wall warts in box in garage: inventory of 6 at 0.5 to 1 amp, 3 at up to 1.5 amp, 1 at 2 amp and 1 at 2.5amp. The latter allows me to switch between various voltages from 5 to 14]. I'll use the 2 amp. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

My PS-30A UC just died on me.  Not much luck finding a replacement probably due to covid 19.  Can someone offer any advice as too where to purchase these. I have tried ebay and Aliexpress.  The shipping via Aliexpress is huge.

20 hours ago, Owen Y said:

Thanks for that Owen.  A very long estimated delivery time.  Can these sellers be trusted to deliver?  What about the https://unisonics.com.au/collections/commercial-ultrasonic-cleaner/products/fxp12?variant=32134505595015 from an Australian supplier.  Much more expensive but it might be a better long term solution assuming Owens adapter fits on the top on this unit.

Hello,

I've bought some things from Aliexpress.

Yes, the delivery time can be awfully long but you are provided with a tracking number.

And if for any reason the package does not reach you, or the parcel is not fit for the job or as described you have Aliexpress insurance to reimburse you I used it a couple of time for item not showing. It was really quick.

As per your Australian unit, if it is like the one on aliexpress, it may come direct from China. You will support your country buying from them. Customs, taxes and people working there. it's your choice. Bear in mind that some shops are Aliexpress sellers proxy.

Hope this helps.

P.S. : mine come direct from China. And do a search on aliexpress for PS-30A ultrasonic cleaner and sort by terms like price and/or free shipping and see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balk2117 said:

Thanks for that Owen.  A very long estimated delivery time.  Can these sellers be trusted to deliver?  What about the https://unisonics.com.au/collections/commercial-ultrasonic-cleaner/products/fxp12?variant=32134505595015 from an Australian supplier.  Much more expensive but it might be a better long term solution assuming Owens adapter fits on the top on this unit.

As you say quite costly. This one appears to be in stock for  $212.99 including post from Sydney. Not as cheap as they used to be but that is probably due to covid and supply issues.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6L-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Cleaning-Industry-Stainless-Steel-Digital-Timer-Heater-AU/183961676594?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200520130149%26meid%3Db1822480bf3842c5b84fe89be7f9fb3c%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D173240414757%26itm%3D183961676594%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion%26brand%3DVEVOR&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EV Cali said:

I ordered mine last night and got a notification that it's been posted. I didn't want to go through aliexpress. Cheers @EV Cali

Edited by Pipey
  • Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 4:16 PM, EV Cali said:

Thanks for the link.  Just managed to purchase another one from Amazon for $209 with free shipping.  Lets hope this last longer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 10:28 AM, balk2117 said:

Thanks for the link.  Just managed to purchase another one from Amazon for $209 with free shipping.  Lets hope this last longer.

Hi, did you got it at a discount? I tried to search it in amazon ang can't find it for $209.

On 16/08/2020 at 12:52 PM, 7droid said:

Hi, did you got it at a discount? I tried to search it in amazon ang can't find it for $209.

Yes, that's what I paid for it with free delivery.  It has arrived and I have done one clean with this new UC.

On 16/07/2020 at 4:16 PM, EV Cali said:

I contacted the Seller and asked about the Warranty.

He says they will offer 2 years - but I'm skeptical about the return/replacement.

Having had two units both fail in the last year, I'm more skeptical than ever, unfortunately.  :( 

Got my kit yesterday and put all the pieces together this morning.  Waiting on the reagents now so I can start cleaning. But I’m impatient. Has anyone used Finish or something readily available at Coles or bunnings for a surfactant?

Hi @Pipey - you can ultrasonic clean quite well with just plain water.

The surfactant adds some 'detergent' action esp. if your records are v dirty & speeds up air-drying by surface filming.

If you vacuum-dry, then the latter is un-important.

I think the surfactant/detergent cleaned vinyl tracks better afterwards too. 

I'd avoid unnecessary contaminants.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @charlie_bird, a a quick summary....

Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner was inspired by ideas & work done by others on the 'net (see p.1).

A couple of us developed a prototype into a 'kit' (see P.2).

Many kits enabled us to place larger batch orders (SS laser-cuts & parts) & then offer attractively priced kits.

(Metal lasercutting is contracted out to an engineering shop, plastic moulding is done by my son, other parts are ordered in. Some machine work, cleaning up, pre-assembly & packing etc is largely done by me. We cover our costs + a bit for our time. We are spare-time enthusiasts, this is not an all-out business ;) )

IMG_1421.JPG.60aebe3451e8a819519c7acd4fab5582.JPG

EDIT: I forgot, current price of the 'kit' is A$149 + airmail postage $15 approx.

You will need to buy:

- Ultrasonic Cleaner Tank model PS-30A, 6L/6.5L size.

- 'Gasmate' BBQ Rotisserie motor (eg. from Bunnings, as below)

More info on this blog page - https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/05/12/ultrasonic-record-cleaning-pt-2/

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

ps30a.jpg.fa6075b83219f88ba3eca28a3e66bc1c.jpg

ps30a-2.jpg.7bdcad8dab246c1da8cf34e8aa2091cb.jpg

Gasmate.jpg.f89937544c000463441509a8b3630ee0.jpg

Edited by Owen Y
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...