Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

On 28/07/2019 at 5:35 AM, maxpina said:

Finally I managed to clean a bit of vinyl with my new system, the result was excellent look at my video 

Thanks !

Very nice set up there maxpina...

Now about that sucking wand...I want one! 

How did you build it and what parts did you use please!?! Any links?!?

Cheers

Of course, @Owen Y, you can publish it on your site, I would very much like it! The box contains the pump that sucks the liquid from the drain into the bottom, sends it into the cartridge with the 10 "high polypropylene filter of 1 micron and then the liquid comes out clean and is reintroduced in the upper part of the ultrasonic tank.The pump has a flow rate of 800 l / h, I carried out tests and with the filtration system it reaches 400 l / h, so the tank contains about 6 liters of liquid so every minute it should filter all the liquid contained in the tank.Here are the links where I made some purchases:

Ultrasonic Tank

Kit for rotation

Rotation motor

filtration pump

Cartridge Filter

Filter

Inner sleeve

Edited by maxpina
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Hi @benny

What do you use to power the pump.

Cheers 

Robin

Hi Robin,

I use a 12V powerpack from an old linksys router that i pensioned off. but Any 12Dc wall wart should do the trick, so long as it can deliver the amps the motor pulls.

Thanks chaps.

Tank fluid volume is actually is only around 4.5 L - when I measured it once.

(As @benny mentions.)

@benny - how often & when do you run the fluid filtering?

Or do you run continuously during cleaning?

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y

On 10/08/2019 at 8:47 AM, Owen Y said:

Thanks chaps.

Tank fluid volume is actually is only around 4.5 L - when I measured it once.

(As @benny mentions.)

@benny - how often & when do you run the fluid filtering?

Or do you run continuously during cleaning?

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Hi Owen,

Sorry for the delay, i run the filter between cleaning cycles.

I plan to do experiments with doing it once i've taken the records out (ie residual water left on the records contains dirt from the cleaning process)

Vs

Leaving the records in and running the filter for 10 mins or so with the records still rotating (ie effectively rinsing them in 'cleaner' water before removing them from the tank).

Unfortunately being in a 1br unit - US cleaning means i cant listen to music, so i dont clean my records on a daily basis!

If others want to perform the experiment too id be interested to hear their thoughts.

Ben

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benny said:

I plan to do experiments with doing it once i've taken the records out (ie residual water left on the records contains dirt from the cleaning process)

vs.

Leaving the records in and running the filter for 10 mins or so with the records still rotating (ie effectively rinsing them in 'cleaner' water before removing them from the tank).

My reading on the DIYAudio us cleaning thread suggests that running the pump/filter reduces the effectiveness of the us cleaning action.

Yet, as you say, taking the records out of the tank at the end of the cleaning cycle (with the pump/filter having been turned off) means that the residual water left on the records contains dirt from the cleaning process!  :(

So far, I've been leaving the pump/filter on during record cleaning - however, I shall change to having it off during the actual (10 minute) us cleaning process.  But I like your concept of then having a 'rinse' cycle before taking the records out of the tank - so I'll run it for a further 10 minutes with the pump/filter on:thumb:  This will mean:

a.  the residual water on the records will be clean, when I take them out of the tank, and

b. the water in the tank will be clean ready for the next cleaning cycle.  :)

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

On 18/08/2017 at 10:41 PM, Guest Y B said:

Wow! That's exactly half the of what I am paying now. What's the name of your local chemical supply company?

Since I have already got the Ilfotol, I would just be contended with it and hopefully by the time my Ilfotol finishes the Triton X-100 or Tergitol is easier to obtain. If not, I would just get more Ilfotol as it is so readily available. :)

On 18/08/2017 at 10:41 PM, Guest Y B said:

Wow! That's exactly half the of what I am paying now. What's the name of your local chemical supply company?

Since I have already got the Ilfotol, I would just be contended with it and hopefully by the time my Ilfotol finishes the Triton X-100 or Tergitol is easier to obtain. If not, I would just get more Ilfotol as it is so readily available. :)

Hi are you still using the llfotol ?

if so what sort of results are you getting and what ratio are you using please ?

I act in this way: I turn on the ultrasound, I clean the vinyl for 15 minutes at a temperature of 30/35 ° C, then for 3 minutes I turn on the filtering system with the ultrasound system and the rotation motor still on, in this way I performed the cleaning for a good period of time but at the end and 3 minutes are sufficient because with a flow rate of 400 l / min of the pump I can completely filter the contents of the tank for three times!, I think this system is valid, I put the image of the filter at the end of the cycle of about 50 vinyls

IMG_20190807_113630.jpg

• Like 1

Update:

20 min bath in 30deg triton/rodi water (0.1% concentration)

Followed by 10 mins with the filter running with the motor spinning.

Record doctor to vacuum water off disks.

Disks seem to be silent. I guess it boils down to the quality of the vinyl, but it’s cleaned up 30+ year old records to be dead silent.

It will be my workflow for the time being.

Keen to hear others experiences.

Ben

• Like 1

On 31/07/2019 at 2:37 PM, benny said:

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0818.jpg

Hi @benny

Do you know the exact size of the hose fitting you have fitted in to the tank tap, as I want to purchase one and am not keen to take the tank in to Bunnings to try some.

Thanks 

Robin

4 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Hi @benny

Do you know the exact size of the hose fitting you have fitted in to the tank tap, as I want to purchase one and am not keen to take the tank in to Bunnings to try some.

Thanks 

Robin

Hi robin,

i bought mine from Reece, I can’t remember the exact size I think it was 1/2” to 10mm hose barb. 

Sorry im not much more help

• Like 1

Hi Robin,

I have just purchased all the brass fittings I needed today - you should be able to get most of them from Bunnings, or on websites like plumbingsales.com.au

If you have a PS-30A tank they are 10mm.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, patrol42td said:

Hi Robin,

I have just purchased all the brass fittings I needed today - you should be able to get most of them from Bunnings, or on websites like plumbingsales.com.au

If you have a PS-30A tank they are 10mm.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hey Chris - just noticed the Oracle Delphi in your pic,

Is that your table?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Got my kit put together this weekend and picked up my Pro-Ject vac cleaner as well.

Was using Illfoto and alcohol pretty happy with the results but I will order some Triton to compare.

I'm thinking of using  silicone to stick the top frame to the tank I imagine it will lessen the noise from vibration and stop it sliding forward ,has anyone tried this?

Thanks Owen and Andyr for all your advice so far , much appreciated.

Pic of my setup below

Garage.jpg

• Like 2

On 14/07/2019 at 9:37 PM, andyr said:

I buy 5l containers of distilled water from Autobarn.  Maybe $13 a pop?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I get mine from Bunnings its about $4.00 for 5l

cheers 

Edited by SteveOscar

24 minutes ago, SteveOscar said:

Hi Andy,

I get mine from Bunnings its about $4.00 for 5l

cheers

Thanks, Steve.  Pedantic as I am ... can you tell me what type of 'distilled water ' is it?  (I believe there's a. steam and b. membrane? (And steam is preferred.))

Andy

35 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thanks, Steve.  Pedantic as I am ... can you tell me what type of 'distilled water ' is it?  (I believe there's a. steam and b. membrane? (And steam is preferred.))

Andy

1b629f78-5478-48e8-97fb-545f5b2f7c86.pngHi @andyr

Bunning's is Steam distilled but you get 10L for $12.99 at Auto barn, rather than 5L for $4 at Bunning's so not a great deal of difference in price.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/refresh-industrial-steam-distilled-water-10l

I have now installed a 1 micron filter system and started using distilled water ,on the basis that it is better than tap water ,I can use it for an extended period and it is cheap.

2 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

1b629f78-5478-48e8-97fb-545f5b2f7c86.pngHi @andyr

Bunning's is Steam distilled but you get 10L for $12.99 at Auto barn, rather than 5L for $4 at Bunning's so not a great deal of difference in price.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/refresh-industrial-steam-distilled-water-10l

I have now installed a 1 micron filter system and started using distilled water ,on the basis that it is better than tap water ,I can use it for an extended period and it is cheap.

Thank you, EV!  :thumb:

I totes agree with using distilled water in place of tap water! :)  And, yes, a 1 micron filter is a necessity, IMO!  :lol:

BTW, in case you haven't read how to suck eggs, AIUI the cleaning cycle should be:

1. pour in the water - plus whatever else you use in the cleaning mixture.
  2. turn on the us tank for 10 mins, to 'de-gas'.
  3. maybe turn on the heater (if you have one), to get the water to 35 deg C.
  4. put the spindle of LPs into the us tank.
  5. rotate - I do this for 10 mins.
  6. turn on the filter and turn off the us transducers for a. a rinse cycle and b. to clean the water, for 10 mins.
  7. repeat 4-6 with your next batch of records!

Andy

Im an ex marine aquarist - so I instead have my own 4 stage reverse osmosis deionising water filter with inline TDS meters and such.

It goes through a micro sediment filter, an activated carbon filter, a reverse osmosis membrane, then deionising resin. Can theoretically get water as pure as/ more pure than distilled water.

And you can make it anytime you wish... Downside is the filter costs about $350 to buy.

But a thought incase you guys dont want to goto the hardware store everytime.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, maxpina said:

But this type of vinyl has a hole much bigger than 33 rpm!

download.jpg

Hi Max

You will need to get some record centers ,if your singles have the larger holes.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Pack-45RPM-Adaptors-Spider-Inserts-for-7-Vinyl-Records-Jukebox-NonSlip/273471287518?hash=item3fac28b0de:g:HuAAAOSwwltboxPj&frcectupt=true

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2