Our DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

15 hours ago, Owen Y said:

Hi @balk2117 - which tank have you ordered?

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Hi Guys

To those that might be interested, this is the tank that I purchase through eBay thanks to the link provided by EV Cali.  Owen seems to think that this is the correct tank for his template to work -

• Tank Material: Stainless Steel SUS304
  • Heating Power: 200W
  • Ultrasonic Power: 180W
  • Frequency: 40kHz
  • Power Supply: AC220V 50Hz 
  • Tank Capacity: 6 L
  • Time Setting: 1 - 30 minutes (LED Digital Display)
  • Temperature Setting: 0-80 degrees Celsius
  • Transducer Quantity: 3 set
  • Tank Size: 11 3/4 "×6 "×6 " (L x W x H)
  • Ultrasonic Cleaner Size: 14 1/2 "×6 3/4 "×10 3/4" (L x W x H)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

This tank certainly appears to be the same as mine & Citroen's.

The product label (on the rear) is different - but the model no. PS-30A is the same.

Except that:

- Be sure to get 220-240vac version (not 110vac).

The key dimensions are:

- The tank top size - mine is 325mm L x 176mm W (12.8" x 6.9") - I see that the given Length dimension is 14.5", which may include the outlet valve.

The tank top length must not be less than 325mm & the tank top width must be 176mm (6.9"), or less.

Cheers, Owen

Edited by Owen Y

Hi all,

Please keep us posted on where you have successfully sourced this cleaner tank from - as there seems to be some variation in listings/sources (as often is the case with online China-manuf products).

Also the out-of-stock situation, that some mention.

Cheers, Owen

• Like 1

This is the ebay link of the one I ordered only last night.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111529951412?ul_noapp=true

In the process of determining they would supply 230V I ended up going direct and obviously saving them the ebay fees.  I used paypal and payed 130AUD delivered to QLD.

Now fingers crossed it arrives and works :unsure:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tesla13BMW said:

This is the ebay link of the one I ordered only last night.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111529951412?ul_noapp=true

In the process of determining they would supply 230V I ended up going direct and obviously saving them the ebay fees.  I used paypal and payed 130AUD delivered to QLD.

Now fingers crossed it arrives and works :unsure:

Appears to be identical to mine and now about $40 cheaper than six months ago!

I also purchased mine from an Australian seller ,as I thought it would then have to comply with Australian standards.

Mine arrived with a mains lead that had a non au plug on it, plus an adaptor.

I just swapped this for a better quality standard AU lead .

Perhaps the better power lead increased its cleaning ability. :)

• Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 8:36 PM, ABG said:

@Leinster Lad  Some records are inherently noisy.  You can minimise the noise, but you'll never get rid of it.  Some records are produced exceptionally well and will play without a hint of noise.  Most fall somewhere in between.

My experience is that all of them are improved by cleaning in an US cleaner.  The results are significantly improved (and often drastically improved) by running the still wet records fresh out of an US cleaner through a vacuum type RCM.  I tried letting records air dry when I first got my US cleaner - let's face it, it's less work - but now I run them all through my Record Doctor V after a bath.  I reckon the US cleaner loosens the crud, the RCM sucks it away from the grooves.  See if you can borrow one to try for yourself.  I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised.

That is what I have been saying in a another thread regarding US cleaners.

• Like 1

ABG posted:

My experience is that all of them are improved by cleaning in an US cleaner.  The results are significantly improved (and often drastically improved) by running the still wet records fresh out of an US cleaner through a vacuum type RCM.  I tried letting records air dry when I first got my US cleaner - let's face it, it's less work - but now I run them all through my Record Doctor V after a bath.  I reckon the US cleaner loosens the crud, the RCM sucks it away from the grooves.  See if you can borrow one to try for yourself.  I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised.

In response, ST posted:

8 minutes ago, Sir Triode said:

That is what I have been saying in a another thread regarding US cleaners.

When I was using the same filter that Andrew uses, my results were the same as his - a vacuum dry with my NG was needed, rather than blow-drying them.

But since replacing the aquarium filter with a 1 micron water filter (& 12v pump), I have found that a vacuum dry doesn't improve things.  So I can go back to blow-drying them 6 at a time.  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 3

I have also been advised that the last unit was damaged and there are none available for 30 days. I have been offered a refund which I have asked for and will try the latest link.

7 hours ago, andyr said:

ABG posted:

In response, ST posted:

When I was using the same filter that Andrew uses, my results were the same as his - a vacuum dry with my NG was needed, rather than blow-drying them.

But since replacing the aquarium filter with a 1 micron water filter (& 12v pump), I have found that a vacuum dry doesn't improve things.  So I can go back to blow-drying them 6 at a time.  :thumb:

Andy

Andy, I've been giving this some thought and am unsure about your findings.  What your essentially saying is that the cavitation process is removing all of the crud, not just loosening it and your filter is so fine that it's removing all of the suspended particulate matter before you take the records out of your machine.  Even accepting the first point as true (and I'm not 100% convinced it is with dirty records), the filter is going to take some time to actually filter out all of the contaminants from a wash.  I know it's certainly doing its job while the cavitation process is underway - I just wonder how long it takes to thoroughly filter everything.  I suspect that it's probably got time to remove the bulk of the crud which I imagine would be removed fairly early in the cavitation process.  However, there's a nagging feeling that there's got to be some of the particulate matter still suspended in the water that hasn't had time to pass through the filter.  At the end of the day, if you're happy with the results, it probably doesn't matter.  :thumb:

2 hours ago, ABG said:

Andy, I've been giving this some thought and am unsure about your findings.  What your essentially saying is that the cavitation process is removing all of the crud, not just loosening it   Yes!  This is with a 10m of cavitation ... which is just over 3 revolutions, with the motor on my tank.

and your filter is so fine that it's removing all of the suspended particulate matter before you take the records out of your machine.   Yes!

Even accepting the first point as true (and I'm not 100% convinced it is with dirty records), the filter is going to take some time to actually filter out all of the contaminants from a wash.  True - but my tank holds 8.2l and the pump says it's 10l per minute ... so for 10 minutes, it's going to filter the tank water 12 times!  So I reckon it is feasible all the crud is  coming out.

I know it's certainly doing its job while the cavitation process is underway - I just wonder how long it takes to thoroughly filter everything.  I suspect that it's probably got time to remove the bulk of the crud which I imagine would be removed fairly early in the cavitation process.  However, there's a nagging feeling that there's got to be some of the particulate matter still suspended in the water that hasn't had time to pass through the filter.  At the end of the day, if you're happy with the results, it probably doesn't matter.  :thumb:

What you say is certainly valid, Andrew.

I've put my comments in situ, above.

Regards,

Andy

• Like 1

Chaps - this topic of water filtration seems detailed enough to deserve its own dedicated thread ;) , however a point about cleaning timing......

Note that, because the record is only partially immersed in the tank fluid at any given time, the total cleaning time for any point on the record surface is only a fraction of the total cleaning time period.  Inner grooves in particular, receive the shortest cleaning - by my calcs, only around 1/7th of the no. of mins/rev x the total mins cleaning time period.

eg. for a 2rpm motor & say a 15min tot. cleaning time, the inner grooves are immersed only for a total of around 1 minute!

The outer grooves are immersed for longer - for the same 2rpm mtr & 15 min cleaning, only for a total of less than 3 minutes.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but a picture may help.....

Cheers, Owen

US-tank.jpg

Edited by Owen Y
  • Like 2

Are you sure ?

from what I know both inner and outer grooves are in the fluid exactly the same amount of time, the outer ones just cover more distance during the same time in the fluid.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, joz said:

Are you sure ?

from what I know both inner and outer grooves are in the fluid exactly the same amount of time, the outer ones just cover more distance during the same time in the fluid.

True, if the spindle centre was at the waterline. But in this case....... I'm still thinking it through :D

9 minutes ago, enikoy said:

True, if the spindle centre was at the waterline. But in this case....... I'm still thinking it through :D

Well my first thought was if you think the outer line moves past the inner part of the line sure, but that would mean bending the line.

Now looking at it again I can see what @Owen Y  means and yep it looks right, damm that spindle being of centre:wacko:

Hmmmm, now you got me thinking and I'm not sure I like that:P

• Like 3

Chaps

Assembly - those who are assembling this kit, it is pretty simple with just 4 screws (+ 3 motor screws), but these notes may help:

1. You should find the following parts - 3 pcs of laser-cut stainless sheet metalwork, a threaded stainless rod with plastic square adapter for the motor drive, 4 red record spacers & a bag containing 2 black 'clamp knobs', 4 stainless button head hex socket screws + spring washers, 1 ball bearing unit.
  2. Strip off the protective plastic from the sheet metal plates.
  3. The large stainless 'baseplate' has 4 protruding nuts under, which should slide under the cleaner tank flange from the short end of the tank - if you have the correct tank.
  4. Attach the 2 upstanding smaller side plates onto the fold-down sides of the main frame, using the 4 screws + washers (align flush the bottom edges of the plates to the baseplate bottom edge) - the correct orientation of the motor plate to the smaller bearing plate is shown in the pic below. (Note, the pic shows a prototype unit & the metalwork has machine marks ;) )
  5. Motor - remove the black attachment plate from the rotisserie motor & use the same 3 screws & spacers to attach the motor to the motor plate (as pic below) - don't overtighten, don't strip the motor plastic threading.
  6. Assemble the record-rod with its clamp knobs & spacers (as pic below) - the little bearing just sits in the cutout in the bearing plate.

Done!

Cheers, Owen

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

Edited by Owen Y

Hi,

Thanks Owen for the kit. It left NZ on the 4th of May and I received it on 8th of May in Perth. Very impressive delivery time. The kit was very well packaged. Over the subsequent days my US bath and motor arrived. There initially was a delay in accessing the US bath, however the links posted earlier were useful. I have the impression that some of the adds listing these baths are actually the same company. Communication with them was quick and accurate.

I have just assembled the kit and the bath, Owen has made this very simple with the clear instructions above. At this stage every thing works as it should. I hope be able to use the bath over the next few days and start enjoying its benefits.

Thanks again Owen for the work you have done on this.

Cheers

• Like 5

I decided to track down the Triton X-100 but there was none in Perth, so I have ordered through Scientific Chemical supplier. Comes in 500ml, I should have enough for the rest of my life! It will take 10 days for it to arrive.

Edited by Edd

Re. Detergent/surfactant I am using Triton X-100. (Pure non-ionic/neutral pH detergent, no additives or perfumes etc),

I am in NZ & I purchased from these people:

http://www.conservationsupplies.co.nz/product/triton-x100-cle01/

In Australia, I googled the following suppliers:

http://www.australianchemicalsuppliers.com/list/search?search=triton

I see that these guys in Oz sell it is 100mLqtys:

https://www.proscitech.com.au/?navaction=show_page&chapter=m&page=6#m035

(I wouldn't put their Ultrasonic Cleaning Agent on records.)

Someone else must sell in AU inmore economical say 500mL or 1L qtys?

Or the Tergitol equivalent.

Cheers, Owen

1 hour ago, Edd said:

I decided to track down the Triton X-100 but there was none in Perth, so I have ordered through Scientific Chemical supplier. Comes in 500ml, I should have enough for the rest of my life! It will take 10 days for it to arrive.

That's great.

Remember that the 6L tank actually contains around 4.5L of fluid.

So if you use say a 0.5% dilution, that's 22.5mL per tank - so 500mL will do around  22 tankfuls only. ;)

PS. I started using only 0.1% dilution & results are fine with new or near-new records.

Older s/h records looked like they need a bit more detergent and/or more cleaning time.

Cheers, Owen

Edited by Owen Y