Spotify through home stereo

Looking at streaming spotify through my home stereo as I want to get better sound than what the Bose Docking station is giving me. I have speakers but nothing else at this stage. Need a unit that is able to support a sub or two what is the best way to go for under $1000? I have been looking at various Marantz models, Sony and Harman Kardon which all have spotify connect is this the best option? Sound quality is important but so is simplicity and ease of function. Thanks.

if you want an all in one system, most of the new AVR has spotify already... my friend's Yamaha RX-A2060 does a decent job on his B&W 683 (even though it is bright to my ears); further improved when he added a NAD amp for the 683 (Still kind of bright for me)

Digital music running at 2.1 or 2.0 on his system sounds pretty good... however, running his turntable on it just doesnt sound good at all... 

I separate my HT and Stereo music, and run my spotify using a chromecast audio to my stereo receiver...  sounds much better than my Pioneer AVR streaming

buy the amp you like, don't worry about on board streaming, think of it as a bonus if included. A (2nd hand???) dac and a cromecast audio streamer need not cost you much and then all 3 could be upgraded when funds permit.

Are we talking a 2 ch amp or a AVR? Modern AVR's should all be able to do spotify connect these days.

Thanks for the replies here plenty to think about. Blybo what would you suggest for an amp, dac and chromecast audio streamer? Would more than likely all be second hand to get better value for money. I had a separates setup in the past with elektra and cary components (multichannel). I understand that my budget wont get me that now.

95db/spl - get a nice tube amp. :)  Maybe even a Peachtree integrated with built in dac could suit your needs (just add on the chromecast).

Something like this - shame it sold

Edited by Juicester

10 hours ago, Aj72 said:

Thanks for the replies here plenty to think about. Blybo what would you suggest for an amp, dac and chromecast audio streamer? Would more than likely all be second hand to get better value for money. I had a separates setup in the past with elektra and cary components (multichannel). I understand that my budget wont get me that now.

There's some nice stuff in the classifieds as per usual. If it were my money I'd be chasing these... slightly over budget

The Cromecast Audio is only $59 at JB

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/accessories/google/google-chromecast-audio/937282/

• Like 1

Okay great. I will keep my eye out. I have already got a Bryston 2B LP amplifier but no sub option and not sure if it could work in my system anyway (unless I go a passive sub which means I would need a preamp). Will be putting this up for sale I think and put proceeds of sale towards next purchase. Lovely amp though....

Edited by Aj72

9 minutes ago, Aj72 said:

Okay great. I will keep my eye out. I have already got a Bryston 2B LP amplifier but no sub option and not sure if it could work in my system anyway (unless I go a passive sub which means I would need a preamp). Will be putting this up for sale I think and put proceeds of sale towards next purchase. Lovely amp though....

You could keep it and get a pre-amp with multiple pre-outs, 1 pair to the Bryston and 1 to the sub.

Do you already have a sub? Some can connect via hi level speaker connections.

Edited by blybo

10 minutes ago, Aj72 said:

I think one of the things with the options looking for, is  I dont know of anything apart from some AVR options eg the marantz slim line avr or the denon heos AVR that come with anything akin to sub management in this sort of budget i.e. under $1k. the little 2ch nad does ... dont know how sophisticated but atleast careers for. another to consider is the little elac 2ch integrated though again too expensive brand new (out of budget) and will need a streamer to feed.

if happy wiht just pre outs from a 2ch device will open up some more options, but again I suspect will come down to what comes up second hand.

the other option as has been suggested is any 2ch integrated wiht pre outs and add dac streamer that can fit in budget.

28 minutes ago, Aj72 said:

Reckon I'm leaning toward the integrated and DAC. The Cambridge looks pretty good and a DAC streamer, maybe the Audiolab? Thanks for the suggestions.

The Cambridge in particular is a bargain. I have the Audiolab DAC built into my CD player and it sounds pretty good to me, but the MDAC is not a streamer, you will still need something like a Cromecast/Bluenode/Sonos or a laptop to get Spotify to the dac.

I know its tempting to have all in one units, but particularly with streamers and possibly with dacs as well, I do think worth keeping separate from the amp side. its mainly because streaming forms/tech capabilities seems to constantly changing. evolving. seem to be new features types of support required etc. I can quite easily see buying an amp now with everything built in and only few years down track no one wanting it because it doesnt have all the "latest" a bit like av gear where the processing side just keeps marching on in an annual churn

ti might cost a tad more but I think buy a cheap streamer that does basically what want, a separate little dac and an integrated (with pre outs to cover with the subs if thats all need) all this can individually turn over upgrade on as time goes on too if find something else more suitable or to suit future needs.

So have I got this right?

Cheap Streamer (Chromecast)

DAC (Audiolab,Cambridge DAC Magic any others? NAD?). I would even get a very cheap DAC and a more expensive one just to see the difference. What's a good really cheap DAC?

Integrated (looking at Cambridge but would consider others looking at around 100 Watts per channel minimum into 8ohms. I love the Bryston but it's 50W limit isn't enough for me even with my efficient Klipsch speakers).

That's all I will need.

Edited by Aj72

Guest rogerthat
3 hours ago, Aj72 said:

Not sure why you want to get rid of the Bryston. It can definitely power your speakers much better than the amps you are thinking about. All you need is the chromecast and the Audiolab MDAC and the Bryston. The MDAC is a preamp as well so can control the volume. 

20 minutes ago, rogerthat said:

Not sure why you want to get rid of the Bryston. It can definitely power your speakers much better than the amps you are thinking about. All you need is the chromecast and the Audiolab MDAC and the Bryston. The MDAC is a preamp as well so can control the volume. 

That's fine if only wanting to use digital source.

That Cambridge was their top of the line back in the day.

1 hour ago, Aj72 said:

So have I got this right?

Cheap Streamer (Chromecast)

DAC (Audiolab,Cambridge DAC Magic any others? NAD?). I would even get a very cheap DAC and a more expensive one just to see the difference. What's a good really cheap DAC?

Integrated (looking at Cambridge but would consider others looking at around 100 Watts per channel minimum into 8ohms. I love the Bryston but it's 50W limit isn't enough for me even with my efficient Klipsch speakers).

That's all I will need.

There is also a cheap Arcam rBlink DAC in the classifies somewhere @ a very cheap price. It would get you started and may well be all you need. I tend to find most good DACs have different sound signatures rather than being obviously better or worse than each other. The Audiolab DAC does have 7 filters which subtly change the sound, so you can flavour to taste if you want.

Found it

Edited by blybo

Not sure why others are not warning about the chromecast audio, unfortunately they just don't cut it with digital out. I have 3 of them and use for streaming music around the house and patio areas but not in main system. Even John Darko was hopeful that with using a chromecast audio with digital out into a decent dac would be a real game changer but unfortunately it's not. 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/not-as-the-artist-intended-google-chromecast-audio-w-tidal/

16 minutes ago, powerav said:

Not sure why others are not warning about the chromecast audio, unfortunately they just don't cut it with digital out. I have 3 of them and use for streaming music around the house and patio areas but not in main system. Even John Darko was hopeful that with using a chromecast audio with digital out into a decent dac would be a real game changer but unfortunately it's not. 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/not-as-the-artist-intended-google-chromecast-audio-w-tidal/

Perhaps because it's hard to get an Integrated, Dac and streamer for under $1K

• Like 1