ML5 Loudspeakers in Frankn's System

Lenehan Audio

Ok I've just got back from the Adelaide trip and have taken the new ML5 8inch two way floorstanders around to Franks place and run them in his system . 

Let me make this bold and outlandish statement now so you can without further ado start suspecting my motives straight away !! With the ML5's in Franks system and on one particular track that I know extremely well I can say that this was the best audio I have ever heard ! EVER

There ! Done >>> now I'm just going to kick back and wait to be slaughtered by that flock of Trolls and Schills hovering around up there , Ok sorry about the silly stuff , now let me qualify that Best Ever statement .

I showed up at Franks to deliver and set up our IsoForm isolation platforms under his electronics , he runs Quad 2905 speakers and the current top level PS Audio electronics suite . 

We listened to the system first on a couple of tracks to familiarise ourselves with the current sound then installed the IsoForms under his BHK300 MonoBlocks , Direct Stream DAC , BHK Signature Pre and Direct Stream Memory Player . Yup ! They did what they always do , improved everything ! No doubt , Frank was happy and so was I . Next up was to disconnect the Quad 2905's and bring our new ML5 floorstanders in and give them a run . 

Frank had  a stock standard CD of Diana Krall Live in Paris ( I know I know ) in to the Memory player it went . The track A Case Of You  was reproduced with a reality and thereness that simply took me to the performance in a way I have NEVER heard . We sat about 3.5mtrs from the ML5's and the soundstage thrown was about 5 mtr wide and 10 mtrs deep with a subtlety and dimensional nuance that only a large acoustic can produce. The pure reality of the piano and Kralls voice gave me immediate goosebumps .

I thought how can this be so much better than what I was hearing in my factory ? I also use a Direct Stream DAC but it drives a BHK250 direct   With short 0.5 or 1mtr balanced FoilTek Cables . I asked Frank if we could take the Signature Pre out ??  Yup the sound went back to nearly what I was hearing in my factory , two dimensional by comparison and Kralls voice had  lost the seductive communicative character and added a subtle but identifiable glare and slightly characatured sibilant nature.  Damn DAMN ,I thought the best PreAmp was no Pre amp ? Not so I'm afraid . 

So there Lads , Ya all thought I was jus gunna wiz on about the ML5's didn't Ya.  At least they rose the the occasion , before I heard Franks Pre I can still say that the ML5 was the best audio I had heard in my factory though .

I guess the moral of the story is  ! There's always something better out there !  What could be immoral though is that I may have to get one of these bloody BHK Pre's.                 Best Regards.   A Slightly Poorer.    Mike Lenehan

• Like 7

Mike, I had the same experience when I added a Parasound JC2 pre amp to my PS Audio based system, using ML2 Ltd speakers , the  addition of a good pre amp is certainly better than using the Directstream as a pre.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, frankn said:

None of me to be had I think. 

I have a rather interesting one from an event a little over 2 years ago.......probably not to be posted here though....

• Like 2

IMG_5539.JPG
7d830e6be5d97ec45a120d0735f100af.jpgIMG_5545.JPG
First image is Franks Quad 2905 with BHK300 monoblock
Second is electronics suite with 3hz isolation platforms under .
Third is pic of ML5's setup in front of Quads.
Franks room is around 5m x 9m x 2.8 and well damped with a decent balance of absorption and defraction .
Cheers. Mike Lenehan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hi Guys

Looks like Mike will have a new addition to his factory set-uo - a BHK pre.  Will eventually get one myself - but need to sell a lot of gear first.  Will chat to Mike tomorrow about that and see what can be done.

Will be going down to Mike's tomorrow anyway - have been working hard on tuning the ML5's with Rawl and there will be some trickle down to the ordinary ML5's eg Rawl has found some Cardas speaker terminals that work really well with them.

Will be finalizing the first uber pair of ML5's and will see how it goes with the new pre etc.

Fun times ahead - and Mike a GTG is on the way - I can feel it..

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

On 2017-3-26 at 6:59 AM, Telecine said:

Can't beat a quality active preamp.

Qualified though.

A GOOD one.

I have found mediocre ones simply do not cut it.

My first experience with pre magic was the legendary AR10 - that's when my views did 180% about face.

Thanks

Bill

Has Mike tried the Tungstram PCC887DJ8 tubes as replacements in the BHK power amplifier? Also recommended for the pre-amp.  I put them in my system.  Might be another reason for sound, everyone raves about them.   

1 hour ago, frankn said:

Has Mike tried the Tungstram PCC887DJ8 tubes as replacements in the BHK power amplifier? Also recommended for the pre-amp.  I put them in my system.  Might be another reason for sound, everyone raves about them.   

I researched getting these tubes for my BHK 250 but the only reputable seller was in the US and doesn't ship internationally, what a shame :(

TheTubestore.com (Ontario, CA) stocks them and ships internationally.  As far as I know they are fine. 

Shipping - Outside of North America
International: Once we receive your order, we will email you with your shipping options and costs. At that time you can choose what shipping method you prefer

• 4 weeks later...
I researched getting these tubes for my BHK 250 but the only reputable seller was in the US and doesn't ship internationally, what a shame [emoji20]

New auspost service that has a registered US address and phone number, and will forward it on, even repack it for you. Not tried it yet by interesting

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Snapper() said:

New auspost service that has a registered US address and phone number, and will forward it on, even repack it for you. Not tried it yet by interesting

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Interesting, I will investigate, thanks for the info.