I "think" the 4k has the Dolby Atmos track, both will have  excellent surround tracks, and obviously the Atmos track has overhead effects, both were graphed on AVS forum and the Atmos track has the bass neutered 

1 minute ago, jamiebosco said:

I "think" the 4k has the Dolby Atmos track, both will have  excellent surround tracks, and obviously the Atmos track has overhead effects, both were graphed on AVS forum and the Atmos track has the bass neutered 

the blu-ray disc on the 4k uhd local combo has 7.1 the pod scene, when encounters the drone and also the library scene are all beauties whether 3D audioor not ! :D though 3D audio does add a nice element to things.

I was even watching harry potter 1 & 2 with family last week thinking goodness. how nicely these old films have come up with 3D audio :) 

ps just realised we are talking 4311 so probably only looking at 7.1 for now ? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, betty boop said:

the blu-ray disc on the 4k uhd local combo has 7.1 the pod scene, when encounters the drone and also the library scene are all beauties whether 3D audioor not ! :D though 3D audio does add a nice element to things.

I was even watching harry potter 1 & 2 with family last week thinking goodness. how nicely these old films have come up with 3D audio :) 

ps just realised we are talking 4311 so probably only looking at 7.1 for now ? 

Yes (by coincidence )  @Mr_Gadget and I both have the Denon 4311!  Though I could've sworn this setup had in-ceiling speakers and was an Atmos setup, didn't notice the 4311 till you pointed it out!

IMHO the DTS HDMA track on the Blu-Ray is reference quality , and agreed, the stadium and Library scenes are stellar and definitely demo worthy 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

Yes (by coincidence )  @Mr_Gadget and I both have the Denon 4311!  Though I could've sworn this setup had in-ceiling speakers and was an Atmos setup, didn't notice the 4311 till you pointed it out!

IMHO the DTS HDMA track on the Blu-Ray is reference quality , and agreed, the stadium and Library scenes are stellar and definitely demo worthy 

I do have in ceiling speakers (Krix hemispherix) but was previously using them as 'side-surrounds'.

Now have proper side surrounds plus rear surrounds. In ceilings are now dormant until I get a new AVR/processor but that will have to wait.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamiebosco said:

the 4311 is a very good thing ! am sure will do justice ! and yeah its a top disc :) no doubt bring some smiles for @MrGadget ps if dont have the disc id pick up the UHD combo (has both uhd and blu-ray discs). i got mine VERY cheap from JB and it will have you future proofed if heading for 3D audio down the track :)

• Like 1

Just now, Mr_Gadget said:

I'm confused, is the soundtrack on the 4k disc better than the standard Blu ray ONLY IF an Atmos setup is used? 

4k discs has the atmos 3D audio one. the blu-ray that accompanies has only 7.1 one :) both are excellent ! :) 

if you dont have atmos and play the 4k uhd disc you will just get 7.1 :) if you have atmos capability you take advantage of that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Right so the bed channels 7.1 are the same quality whether it's the 4k Blu ray or not.

I'll obviously choose the 4k for HDR benefits then.

ive enjoyed both. id take the 3D audio version if have the capability just more enveloping sound stage :) all around you :)

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Oblivion-4K-Blu-ray/156371/

"Oblivion's Dolby Atmos soundtrack is highly impressive and features several fantastic, reference-worthy Atmos moments. This review is based on a setup with seven traditional front, center, and surround speakers (plus subwoofer) and four "height" channels. The Atmos effects begin almost immediately. Jack calls in on a comms check which is heard from Victoria's perspective; the sound literally seems to emanate from directly above the listening audience, the voice saturating the top end of the stage. Such effects are heard more than once, and they're impressive each time, presenting realistically and balanced, with no sense of forced or gimmicky sensations. Other Atmos effects are splendid. Rippling cables can be heard reverberating like guitar strings overhead around the 17:45 mark. The sound pulses through the top of the stage as if the audience were seated below in the environment where Jack finds himself. Drones and ships zoom from side to side and front to back, often with a noticeable, but more finely integrated, overhead effect. General sonic details are impressive. Gunfire is punchy and zippy. Explosions pack a healthy wallop. Music saturates the stage with seamless spread and depth around. Low end accompaniment is always deep but balanced. Dialogue is clear and well prioritized with a natural front-center positioning. This is a marvelous Dolby Atmos track with several demo-worthy moments. "

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Right so the bed channels 7.1 are the same quality whether it's the 4k Blu ray or not.

I'll obviously choose the 4k for HDR benefits then.

The bass is a fair bit better in the 7.1 DTS HD track (about 10- 15dB louder bass under 30Hz) This will be most evident in scenes like the stadium landing. The Atmos track looks to have a pretty steep filter at 30Hz

( the DOTTED lines are the tracks on the discs, the solid lines are after adding EQ filters to boost the low bass)

7.1 DTS-HDMA (dotted line)

199495205_obliviondtsbeq.thumb.jpg.9893a120de3b2e966479d41cbe3f42fd.jpg

Dolby Atmos (dotted line)

2065881291_oblivionatmos.thumb.jpg.e8508da140729d228c209980230ef933.jpg

Edited by jamiebosco
added images
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Interesting ! So if you want best visuals you have sacrifice LFE?

That's nuts! 

The atmos track is awesome and matches well the visuals ...

Was able to enjoy a few hours alone tonight so decided to put on Oblivion. What a great movie, I saw it when it first came out but didn't remember enjoying it as much as I did tonight, might be the surround sound improvements.

I definitely noticed the rear surrounds especially at around the 9 minute mark when the bubbleship turns around and the sounds follows it's movements.

Awesome!

Now I've realised the 2 weak links in my system.

1) the subwoofers

2) 65" tv is too small

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Was able to enjoy a few hours alone tonight so decided to put on Oblivion. What a great movie, I saw it when it first came out but didn't remember enjoying it as much as I did tonight, might be the surround sound improvements.

I definitely noticed the rear surrounds especially at around the 9 minute mark when the bubbleship turns around and the sounds follows it's movements.

Awesome!

Now I've realised the 2 weak links in my system.

1) the subwoofers

2) 65" tv is too small

Bang for buck, hard to go past Power Sound Audio subs. I'm running a couple of S1500s - very tight and musical, as well as slam for HT. Peter at Deep Hz isn't carrying much of their range at the moment - hopefully will be getting in some of their updated subs soon. FYI PSA is owned by one of the original founders of SVS.

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

Bang for buck, hard to go past Power Sound Audio subs. I'm running a couple of S1500s - very tight and musical, as well as slam for HT. Peter at Deep Hz isn't carrying much of their range at the moment - hopefully will be getting in some of their updated subs soon. FYI PSA is owned by one of the original founders of SVS.

Yes I am aware of PSA and when the time is right will contact Peter. Out of interest did you consider the ported V1500 or even the V1800?

Would love to hear PSA in action but won't waste Peters time unless I am ready to buy.

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Yes I am aware of PSA and when the time is right will contact Peter. Out of interest did you consider the ported V1500 or even the V1800?

Would love to hear PSA in action but won't waste Peters time unless I am ready to buy.

I didn't look at the ported subs as I didn't want anything that might have port chuffing - don't know whether PSA vented subs are susceptible to chuffing but it's one of my pet hates. I did consider whether to go a single S3600 (now out of stock) but was concerned about getting a smoother in-room response from two smaller subs.

The ported subs have better mid-range slam, but don't go as low as PSA's sealed subs.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I was bored so rearranged the speakers and subs. I wanted to see if when I upgrade my subs one day, how much room I had. 

Not much space width wise and my left floorstander is partially over a heater vent. Will need to put it on little legs for airflow if I decide to keep this positioning.

IMG_20200429_075129632.jpg

IMG_20200429_075232284.jpg

IMG_20200428_214220152.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget

not sure if sold on it mrG. just looking back on your thread...how you had it I reckon is easier on the eye... and looks visually less imposing. ie not cramped. suspect your speakers have a bit more room to breathe too ? 

IMG_20190714_133352565.jpg

11 minutes ago, betty boop said:

not sure if sold on it mrG. just looking back on your thread...how you had it I reckon is easier on the eye... and looks visually less imposing. ie not cramped. suspect your speakers have a bit more room to breathe too ? 

IMG_20190714_133352565.jpg

Yeah you're probably right but I kind of liked the 'wall of sound' look (hope Krix hasn't trademarked that lol).

My future sub choices are limited no matter which way I put them anyway.

I like the SVS cylinder models and I reckon if the 3000 series added a cylinder option then it would be a contender for my room layout.

• Haha 1

I reckon ...especially if bored...leave each way for a week at a time... see what prefer :D 

ps one thing can do and I did in my setup was make my centre rack same hight as my subs and to match in finish (Jarah) so ended up with a more integrated look.

seeing have the rack already, and if thinking new subs could consider some subs that maybe match the console .... eg like gregs T16

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/t16-subwoofer

if high enough. otherwise his cabinet makers likely make custom exact size to match and veneer to also match exactly in style and finish.

rather than side bu side I would still run your speakers forward of all of it..

...but really depends kind of look going for ....

20 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

My future sub choices are limited no matter which way I put them anyway.

I like the SVS cylinder models and I reckon if the 3000 series added a cylinder option then it would be a contender for my room layout.

Why not the 4000 Cylinder series? Obviously more expense. I've got a couple of the previous PC-13 Ultra and have one behind the TV and on behind the couch to get them away from the corners as much as possible.

20 hours ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Better?

IMG_20200429_195651040.jpg

Probably better because the subs are away from the corners a bit although corner loading subs can fill\limit nulls.

Perhaps they are still close enough to the corners to be considered "corner loading" anyway.

You could try bringing the mains in a bit further away from the side walls.