Sign in to follow this  
petersv

FS: SoTM sMS-200 - Roon/HQPlayer/AirPlay Network Streamer

Item: SoTM sMS-200
Price: $500 (+$15 for shipping)
Item Condition: Barely used
Reason for selling: trying something different
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (add +3%), Bank Transfer
Extra Info: Purchased new on 17 Jan 2017 from Australian distributor, Crux Audio, arguably one of the best bargains in hifi today. 2016 saw the rise of the Sonore microRendu which beat out just about every network streamer, cost no-object. SoTM then licensed the hardware and software from Sonore and released the sMS-100 based off the microRendu. The SMS-200, released late last year, from all reports, outperforms the microRendu (when compared using the same power supplies).

Acts as either a Roon Endpoint, AirPlay server (ShairPort-Sync v3.0), SqueezeTouch Lite, HQPlayer NAA or DLNA/MPD player... best performing/sound quality network player you'll ever hear, crushes the microRendu and Auralic Aries femto at a fraction of the price.

Comes with the stock SMPS power supply and sounds great, but really comes alive with a good quality linear power supply (personally used with an Uptone LPS-1 to great effect).

Review:

Pictures:

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5966.JPG

Edited by petersv

Guest scumbag

These are great sounding units. GLWS.

Guest scumbag

Power input is quite flexible. The standard SMPS is 9V 2A. The Sbooster unit (just to give an example) is 12-13.2V 2.25A. And the battery unit that SOTM designed to power it off-grid is 6.5Vdc ~ 8.4Vdc 1.5A.

So anywhere between 6.5V and 12V with a minimum current of 1.5A looks likely. So using the battery unit as a guide that's a max power requirement of around 12watts - as a rough guesstimate. 

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/shop/en/sotm-mbps-d2s

Edited by scumbag

Thanks scumbag. Most of the power spec is to cover the 2x extra USB ports (5w each). I used an Uptone LPS1 (7v @ 1.0amp) with it (no extra USB devices attached) and it worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi@petersv
Might be keen on this as I'm thinking of upgrading from my pi and hifiberry digi+ to a "complete" unit. So it only has usb audio out? My digi+ feds digital to my Klien DAC, is there any real difference in output quality between digital and a USB feed to the DAC?
Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Guest scumbag

From my experience the Klein has every input sorted so it will sound equally good fed by any source. SOTM into Klien would be something to hear!

Hi Nzlowie, I also went from a pi3 + hifiberry digi+ pro (coax) ... sms200 crushed it, it's a reference grade piece of kit that's seriously underpriced for how well it does what it does.

Guest scumbag
5 minutes ago, petersv said:

Hi Nzlowie, I also went from a pi3 + hifiberry digi+ pro (coax) ... sms200 crushed it, it's a reference grade piece of kit that's seriously underpriced for how well it does what it does.

+1

Guest scumbag
3 minutes ago, panasonkyo said:

I would like to take this. PM Sent, thanks.

Good choice.

56 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Good choice.

Thanks @scumbag

I am new to the digital streaming thing, but this and roon seem to be the way to go for the money.

4 hours ago, petersv said:

Thanks scumbag. Most of the power spec is to cover the 2x extra USB ports (5w each). I used an Uptone LPS1 (7v @ 1.0amp) with it (no extra USB devices attached) and it worked fine

Perhaps a Terdak U9 LPS, at 9V 1A, if you are not going to use the USB ports on the SMS-200?

Perhaps a Terdak U9 LPS, at 9V 1A, if you are not going to use the USB ports on the SMS-200?

Or spend a bit more and get 9V from Clay Gieseler's LPS.

item sold