Sign in to follow this  
petersv

FS: SoTM sMS-200 - Roon/HQPlayer/AirPlay Network Streamer

Item: SoTM sMS-200
Price: $500 (+$15 for shipping)
Item Condition: Barely used
Reason for selling: trying something different
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (add +3%), Bank Transfer
Extra Info: Purchased new on 17 Jan 2017 from Australian distributor, Crux Audio, arguably one of the best bargains in hifi today. 2016 saw the rise of the Sonore microRendu which beat out just about every network streamer, cost no-object. SoTM then licensed the hardware and software from Sonore and released the sMS-100 based off the microRendu. The SMS-200, released late last year, from all reports, outperforms the microRendu (when compared using the same power supplies).

Acts as either a Roon Endpoint, AirPlay server (ShairPort-Sync v3.0), SqueezeTouch Lite, HQPlayer NAA or DLNA/MPD player... best performing/sound quality network player you'll ever hear, crushes the microRendu and Auralic Aries femto at a fraction of the price.

Comes with the stock SMPS power supply and sounds great, but really comes alive with a good quality linear power supply (personally used with an Uptone LPS-1 to great effect).

Review:

Pictures:

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5966.JPG

Edited by petersv

These are great sounding units. GLWS.

Power input is quite flexible. The standard SMPS is 9V 2A. The Sbooster unit (just to give an example) is 12-13.2V 2.25A. And the battery unit that SOTM designed to power it off-grid is 6.5Vdc ~ 8.4Vdc 1.5A.

So anywhere between 6.5V and 12V with a minimum current of 1.5A looks likely. So using the battery unit as a guide that's a max power requirement of around 12watts - as a rough guesstimate. 

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/shop/en/sotm-mbps-d2s

Edited by scumbag

Thanks scumbag. Most of the power spec is to cover the 2x extra USB ports (5w each). I used an Uptone LPS1 (7v @ 1.0amp) with it (no extra USB devices attached) and it worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi@petersv
Might be keen on this as I'm thinking of upgrading from my pi and hifiberry digi+ to a "complete" unit. So it only has usb audio out? My digi+ feds digital to my Klien DAC, is there any real difference in output quality between digital and a USB feed to the DAC?
Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

From my experience the Klein has every input sorted so it will sound equally good fed by any source. SOTM into Klien would be something to hear!

Hi Nzlowie, I also went from a pi3 + hifiberry digi+ pro (coax) ... sms200 crushed it, it's a reference grade piece of kit that's seriously underpriced for how well it does what it does.

5 minutes ago, petersv said:

Hi Nzlowie, I also went from a pi3 + hifiberry digi+ pro (coax) ... sms200 crushed it, it's a reference grade piece of kit that's seriously underpriced for how well it does what it does.

+1

3 minutes ago, panasonkyo said:

I would like to take this. PM Sent, thanks.

Good choice.

56 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Good choice.

Thanks @scumbag

I am new to the digital streaming thing, but this and roon seem to be the way to go for the money.

4 hours ago, petersv said:

Thanks scumbag. Most of the power spec is to cover the 2x extra USB ports (5w each). I used an Uptone LPS1 (7v @ 1.0amp) with it (no extra USB devices attached) and it worked fine

Perhaps a Terdak U9 LPS, at 9V 1A, if you are not going to use the USB ports on the SMS-200?

Perhaps a Terdak U9 LPS, at 9V 1A, if you are not going to use the USB ports on the SMS-200?

Or spend a bit more and get 9V from Clay Gieseler's LPS.

item sold

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By peterhocking
      Item: Intel i7 NUC - NUC7I7BNH
      Price: $785.00
      Item Condition: very good
      Reason for selling: No longer needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      - Full tech specs here:
      https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i7bnh.html

- 8gb DDR4 RAM, 120 gig SATA M.2 SSD & 1 TB 2.5" hard drive already installed

- BIOS is currently configured for Roon OS (Roon Optimized Core Kit)

- Roon OS (ROCK) is installed already. You can of course install your own OS and configure BIOS as you like.

- This is ideal to run Roon ROCK. The 120 gig SSD is the boot drive for the operating system & the 1 terabyte hard drive can be used for storage. Roon supports more than one location for storage, so a NAS and/or an external hard drive can be used in conjunction with the internal storage. See full tech specs link above.

The unit also comes with a Windows 10 Pro license

- Original power supply included

- Note: this sale does NOT include a Roon license subscription. This sale is the hardware to run Roon Core.

- Any questions, please feel free to send me a private message (PM).

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Wondering
      Item:  SOtM sPS-1000 Linear Power Supply
      Price: $550
      Item Condition:  Very Good
      Reason for selling:  No longer used
      Payment Method:  Cash
      Extra Info:

This Linear Power Supply will suit low power devices that will benefit from a clean DC power supply.  This is the standard version that can be matched with DAC's, computer music servers etc.  Please see below for power specs.

Can be collected in Brisbane or shipped in original packaging at buyers cost.

Photos:

• By outdated
      Item: YAMAHA RX-S 600D
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: 9.9/10 (ie there must be something but I can't spot any damage at all, even the remote is pretty much as new)
      Reason for selling: NLR, got a NAD T758
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      I bought this new a few years back and it's been a great unit.  Very decent performance for the money and the slimline chassis just disappeared compared with full size AVR's.
      Great connectivity options (better than the NAD I replaced it with at 10 times this price!) with 5x HDMI 2.0 inputs etc.
      It has an ethernet port and would stream music from my NAS and do internet radio.  Spotify and Airplay (1) are also built in but I never tried them.
      Has FM radio and DAB+ which is pretty cool for the year.
      Note it doesn't have wifi, but an adapter is available.  I cable everything where possible so didn't worry me.
      Can be controlled from the excellent Yamaha AV Control App (Apple / Android).
      Current equivalent is RX-S 602 @ $899rrp, which has Musicast and HDCP2.2 but otherwise seems pretty similar.
      I used a chromecast and Plex for streaming with this unit which worked really well, powered from the convenient USB on the back.
      All in all a great little compact AVR with better performance than you'd expect and most modern features.

As shown it has the original box and packaging.  I'd prefer local pickup but can ship if you arrange and pay for it and assume the liability.
      I am out near Bungendore but can bring it into CBR or surrounds for delivery / testing.

Specs and more info:
      https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-s600d/

CNet Review:
      https://www.cnet.com/reviews/yamaha-rx-s600d-home-theatre-receiver-review/

What HiFi review (non DAB model, but much the same):
      "An excellent amp that sheds the pounds while maintaining great sound and good features"
      https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-s600/review

Happy owner experience from this site:

Photos:

• By stoobleh
      Item: Pro-Ject Stream Box RS
      Price: $1275 inc Linear PSU (Swagman / novetum) and 3 sets of Tubes!
      Item Condition: Excellent. 1st owner.
      Reason for selling: I need a pram. Bugaboo apparently.
      Payment Method: Direct transfer, PayPal (friends), Pickup - Cash (Alexandria or Caringbah)
      Extra Info: Used very lightly. Ace condition. Not a mark on it. Smoke free, pet free.

Tubes Included (3 pairs of 6992's all lightly used):
      - Genelex Gold Lions (Cryogenic Treated from Cyroset)
      - Reflektor 6H23P 
      - Electro Harmonix

Burr Brown DAC with tube output stage (6992's). 
      Has analog input to feed a turntable (via phono stage) or CD player straight in.
      Streaming from your computer does not sound like this!

Tidal and spotify integration using the free Pro-ject app on iphone or iPad is tip top.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-rs/
      https://www.analogueseduction.net/streamers-music-servers-media-players/pro-ject-stream-box-rs-music-streamer.html

Package includes switch mode psu and custom linear psu from Swagman with Nuvotem transformer. Makes a difference!
      The Linear power supply cost me around $300 alone. Similar to:
      http://www.swagmanlab.com/Product_All?product_id=669&brd=1

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Phuong
      Item: Cambridge Audio CXN V1 Silver
      Price: $850 plus postage 
      Item Condition: mint, still in 7 months warranty 
      Reason for selling: too many streamers 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      I am selling a Network streamer DAC Cambridge Audio CXN in excellent condition, as new, used 5 months, Product of the Year, Awards 2016 from WHAT HIFI
      https://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/cxn/review
      Comes with all original packaging inc unused remote control. Happy to ship if need at the buyers expense. Thanks
      Pictures: