Vieanna Acoustic Beethoven Concert grand vs Beethoven Baby Grand.

On 19/03/2017 at 9:48 AM, TerryO said:

The Concerts have roughly a 100 hours on them from what they say, so yes they are broken in.

Even though the Tweeter and Mid are the same between the two models to me anyway the Concerts sound quite different to the Baby Grands, which I am surprised by. The salesman before hooking them up did comment about the difference in Tweeter sound quality between the two models which at least means I'm not the only one who has noticed a difference.

I wonder given the Concert is a taller speaker if having the Tweeter and Mid  being closer to ear level when sitting might have something to do with it?

cheers Terry

I know this is an old topic but when I purchased my concerts I compared the tweeter with the Baby Grands and they looked slightly different. I even pointed it out to the sales guy and he agreed. Both models are very nice speakers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Appliancedave said:

I know this is an old topic but when I purchased my concerts I compared the tweeter with the Baby Grands and they looked slightly different. I even pointed it out to the sales guy and he agreed. Both models are very nice speakers.

Hi Dave, interesting, I was of the understanding originally that the Concert and Baby Grands had different tweeters but the last time I went into the store I purchased my first pair of VA’s from one of the experienced staff members told me the two models shared the same tweeter. So that is what I had based my earlier comment on. 

Having both models I would say from listening that they are different but it’s not just the tweeters themselves that can make the speaker sound different so I just went with what I was told.

Thanks for bringing this point up, I’ll try and do some more research.

cheers Terry

I suspect the difference in presentation is due to the combination of crossover and woofers, not just the woofers or box height.

I have the Beethoven baby grand SE and don't know what you lot are on about when it comes to bass. Mine slam so hard and puts such an emphasis on the bass that some songs just don't sound good any more. The treble is too strong on my Naim system, but on my Cyrus system it is well balanced.

I don't see why anyone would need a subwoofer with these though.

2 hours ago, audio_file said:

I suspect the difference in presentation is due to the combination of crossover and woofers, not just the woofers or box height.

I have the Beethoven baby grand SE and don't know what you lot are on about when it comes to bass. Mine slam so hard and puts such an emphasis on the bass that some songs just don't sound good any more. The treble is too strong on my Naim system, but on my Cyrus system it is well balanced.

I don't see why anyone would need a subwoofer with these though.

Sorry not quite sure what your meaning about our comments relating to bass and the BBG's  when you said 'and don't know what you lot are on about when it comes to bass'.

I have always said the BBG's deliver amazing bass, especially compared to the next model up Concert Grands. Having said that now that I use the 550w MF Superchargers in my main system, which is quite a bit different to the system in the above posts from two years ago, the Concert Grands now have no issue with lack of bass either. The Concert Grands really like lots of watts, the BBG's often sound better with fewer than more.

I have tried quite a number of different amps, both ss and tube, with the BBG's and over the last two years have had the speakers living in four different rooms. What I have found is they are very amp and room dependant when it comes to bass, possibly the most balanced sounding amp with the BBG's was the, believe it or not, 7w Weston Time Machine, even with only 7watts powering them in a large(ish) room the bass was still bloody good. Again having said that, the room and speaker positioning with the BBG's makes a big difference as well.

cheers Terry

2 hours ago, TerryO said:

Sorry not quite sure what your meaning about our comments relating to bass and the BBG's  when you said 'and don't know what you lot are on about when it comes to bass'.

I meant the following comments sound like the speakers are not bass heavy and might need a sub woofer: (or did I misunderstand?)

On 19/03/2017 at 8:35 AM, TerryO said:

I can see if we keep the Baby Grands having to get at least one but more than likely two decent musical Subs which would be more expensive then the change over I have been offered for the Concert Grands.

On 19/03/2017 at 9:13 AM, KeithL said:

I ended up with the baby grands because I already had a sub and didn't require the extra bass. I agree the the concert grand did have more scale and if you don't already have a sub or subs then I would go with th concert grands.

On 19/03/2017 at 10:13 AM, warweary said:

If the yammy avr is working nice with the Baby Grands consider the versatility of multiple subs.

On 21/03/2017 at 11:03 AM, Psyberpunk said:

Bass wise the BCG perform better, adding some noticeable improvement in the ability to reproduce lower bass with a bit more impact. This is by no means over the top and still in keeping with the overall neutrality of the speakers signature sound.

2 hours ago, audio_file said:

I meant the following comments sound like the speakers are not bass heavy and might need a sub woofer: (or did I misunderstand?)

I don't think either need a subwoofer, the BCG just reproduced bass better and went lower - however I wouldn't say that the BBG SE's 'slam hard'.

But then it's all relative, the Wilson Spohia 2's I have now I would say slam hard - however someone further up the tree with Alexia's might say the Sophia don't 'slam' in comparison :)  

1 minute ago, Psyberpunk said:

I don't think either need a subwoofer, the BCG just reproduced bass better and went lower - however I wouldn't say that the BBG SE's 'slam hard'.

But then it's all relative, the Wilson Spohia 2's I have now I would say slam hard - however someone further up the tree with Alexia's might say the Sophia don't 'slam' in comparison :)  

Maybe they're just too big for my small room. :D

• Like 1