Devialet Owners & Discussion Thread

On 2017-6-29 at 0:42 AM, Hertzgeek said:

Well after finally buying a devialet 120 a couple of days ago and discovering this thread I got excited. Two and a bit hours later..reading 17 pages..I have dead set forgotten what I wanted to ask. 

I am now more confused than ever...did I buy the right amp? Is it what I need? Will my sub work? What was my initial question/questions, queries??

:emot-bang:

Might get back to this tomorrow after having a sleep...the price you pay for being a newbie I guess.

No probs mate. The question more than likely was do you think I need an upgrade?

23 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Roon has just been announced for all experts

Sent from my JAZZ using Tapatalk

And it works a treat too!

I didn't have Roon so when I read the news today I thought I would give it a go. I've been playing music for hours and will do for many more. It sounds fantastic too. 

15 minutes ago, Pim said:

And it works a treat too!

I didn't have Roon so when I read the news today I thought I would give it a go. I've been playing music for hours and will do for many more. It sounds fantastic too. 

How do you configure it too work? I was just about to cancel my Roon account so this will be worth checking out.

55 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Roon has just been announced for all experts

I didn't quite follow this so I went to Google News and all I found was news about a soccer player.

I guess I'm just a Roon novice.

Edited to add: ah! expert refers to a brand name for a mode of Devialet.  Cary have just made a similar announcement for their media networker, IFRC.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown

2 minutes ago, Nap250 said:

How do you configure it too work? I was just about to cancel my Roon account so this will be worth checking out.

Don't cancel your Roon account yet!

With the latest version of Roon, you just go into Settings > Audio > Chose your Devialet AIR and off she goes. You might want to re-start Roon for it to see the Devialet but then it just works.

19 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Yeah, Roon now works with Air on the Expert. Good news. One can only assume Roon Labs has worked out a way of streaming to Air without drop outs.

Nope. I just received an email from Devialet and it looks like a cooperation between the two. Which is much better news because that means Roon on the new streamer board is likely to go ahead too. Not that you need it. It works great on my Mac mini.

Guest scumbag
Just now, Pim said:

Nope. I just received an email from Devialet and it looks like a cooperation between the two. Which is much better news because that means Roon on the new streamer board is likely to go ahead too. Not that you need it. It works great on my Mac mini.

Well, yes it is a collaboration - I can't imagine it being implemented unilaterally.

I'm referring to the issues that plagued people streaming using Air. If Roon is involved then one assumes that their number 1 target is to make the process seamless and faultless - as per their goals for all Roon end point user experiences. So that's all good news for Devialet owners and a bonus to current Roon users. And another thing to make the Devialet Expert worth the cost of ownership. I am a Dev' owner of course but I can still watch from the side lines I hope!

2 hours ago, scumbag said:

Yeah, Roon now works with Air on the Expert. Good news. One can only assume Roon Labs has worked out a way of streaming to Air without drop outs.

You mean it didn't before ?

I have been running ROON to my Devialet for a year. Apart from a couple of glitches when going ROON to Jplay to Devialet it has always just worked.

I have that sorted too now.. Sounds pretty darn good.

Also, i open ROON with Fidelizer...

Edited by Saunter

15 hours ago, Saunter said:

You mean it didn't before ?

I have been running ROON to my Devialet for a year. Apart from a couple of glitches when going ROON to Jplay to Devialet it has always just worked.

I have that sorted too now.. Sounds pretty darn good.

Also, i open ROON with Fidelizer...

I don't know about Fidelizer but Roon has replaced the virtual sound card that Devialet use (The AIR driver) with their own driver. It works a treat. No extra driver needed and when you play something in Roon, The Devialet will start up automatically and starts playing. Volume control also works from the Roon screen. It's not Roon changing the volume. It's Roon telling the Devialet to change volume so the quality doesn't change.

• Like 1

So that mean i don't need to activate Air . Just open ROON and away we go. 

Also don't need the Air App to use my phone as a remote. Just use the Roon app and it's all done..

If that's right it sounds good... i think..... I will try it and see...

I did try the new ROON  with Air last night and it worked a treat.. haven't tried volume control from ROON though.

27 minutes ago, Saunter said:

So that mean i don't need to activate Air . Just open ROON and away we go. 

Also don't need the Air App to use my phone as a remote. Just use the Roon app and it's all done..

If that's right it sounds good... i think..... I will try it and see...

I did try the new ROON  with Air last night and it worked a treat.. haven't tried volume control from ROON though.

It works exactly as you describe. Just chose Devialet AIR in the audio output setup and off she goes. Make sure to turn AIR software off first and re-start your computer.

OK... so it seems with JPlay in the loop it won't work which is annoying..

If i just go direct to my Dev it works ... touchy controller isn't it..

Since i want JPlay to affect things i may have to go back.. 

That'll be the problem yes. There's a guy on the Roon forum who's already addressed the volume control. It's tricky indeed. That's why I said be careful.

I have no idea what Jplay does buy Roon has quite a number of settings to play with. There's a whole new world out there for me. lots of fun!

I implemented Roon using ethernet, (as WIFI had the same drop out issues) and IME the ethernet connection is much more stable and I would highly recommend it. I have an Antipodes DS Reference server which is very good but the Roon software (with a 5 year old laptop) running over ethernet is an improvement. The 200 is a very impressive unit running roon over ethernet, no drop outs with DSD or high res and a very good sound.

Since implementing Roon last night I would say the Devialet/Roon combo is well worth an audition for anyone interested in an all in one solution.

Edited by Nap250
typo