Devialet Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest scumbag

Peter,

No issues with noise / grunge or degradation at my end when using Ethernet. Quite the opposite in fact. I am not using a router though and have a direct connection between the Dev' and my NUC. I don't need to use a router and I guess I instinctively thought that might introduce some degradation as it involves another step in processing.

I am comparing the ethernet to NUC being feed power via an IFI IDCpurifier> Regen Amber on battery power > Gustard U12 > Coaxial - a set up that is quite clean sounding to my ears. The ethernet is in no way inferior the coaxial input method. I was getting white noise when outputting from Jriver but I solved this by switching off the upsampling. 

I have heard a lot of people complain about the quality of the Ethernet connection which perplexes me based on my experience. The common factors in all this may be that they also have WIFI switched on and they are (as in your case) using a router. I did experience strange clicking noises when I had WIFI switched on with the Devialet and once that was off, this stopped immediately.

My experience with the DEV200 is that Streaming over WiFi offers the best sound quality. I have tried Curious USB cables, various Coax and  optical connections as well as ethernet. Wifi tops the lot. All digital harshness or glare has completely disappeared. It's true that the USB connection somehow offered a sharper image and leading edges of notes but did not sound as real as Wifi streaming. As for cabled connection; i reckon Optical is the best. In my current set up streaming from Roon with Air 3.0.1 it sounds beautiful and the bass is fabulous. I am using a Windows i7 laptop to run it. No drop outs or noise of any sort with any sample rate i have tried thus far.....

Edited by Saunter

Guest scumbag

@Saunter if you have not tried Ethernet, it is worth the few minutes set up time. If have tried all types of connection methods now and the Ethernet is quite exceptional. WIFI was flakey, USB a little less refined than Coaxial and coaxial via the Gustard was very good but the Ethernet seems to have the edge over even the Gustard. The ethernet cable costs maybe a dollar. The Gustard was $220, the regen was $180, the battery pack and batteries maybe $30, the coaxial cable was $120 and the Curious cable was $140 and doesn't match the ethernet connection.

Guest scumbag

In my setup, wifi was dropping out . I guess there were issues with signal strength to the wireless router which I believe is a documented issue with the wifi connection on the devialet . Different setups, different experiences I guess . 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest scumbag

Just an update. I flashed the Dev' to 7.1.3 firmware. Wow, very different. Seemed brighter at first but in fact, the bass is less overpowering (in my listening space) and there seems to be more high frequency detail including reverb trails and so forth. If you haven't tried the older firmware on your Devialet Expert, you're missing out on an interesting experience!

Guest scumbag

Oh, and I just got myself an IFI IUSB3. So I'm feeding from my NUC into the USB input of the Dev' which is supposed to be the "weak" input in relation to other digital ones. Not any more. I think the IUSB3 is a serious competitor to the Regen. It's a bit more expensive but it's got the added feature of having a 2amp output which is good for feeding devices that are USB powered (Singxer F-1 for example).

I'm going from the NUC > Atlas USB cable > IUSB3 > Curious cable (of course) > Dev. I am listening to Reflektor by Arcade Fire. I find the digital version of this album very hard to listen do as it has their usual lo-fi sound. The combination about really goes about fixing that harshness up but actually adds detail instead of masking it.

Edited by scumbag

On 7/30/2016 at 1:00 PM, wikeeboy said:

.... I also think there is a growing movement towards all in one 'super' integrateds in the high end field. Check out the D'Agostino one (can't remember the name), the Aavik U300, Bel Canto ACI600, Jeff Rowland Daemon just to name a few.

Simple does it :P

Did anyone had exposure to the Aavik U300, it's supposed to be ultra hi-end in a package at a very competitive price :anyone:

On 15/10/2016 at 2:04 PM, petersv said:

I love my dev 120, only thing though is the sq gets worse with every firmware release. For me, my findings are exactly the same as this article, v7.1.3 is the best sounding

If you get a chance make sure you go online and get a Sam profile for your speakers

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/devialet-firmware/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you go back to an earlier firmware release? Or are you stuck with the new one if you upgrade?

Guest scumbag

Hello 

You can go back and forward between firmware versions to your hearts content with the devialet. The only thing that happens is that certain features will become deprecated if you go back to a firmware version that doesn't support it. For example in firmware v7 you will end up with SAM1 and if you install 8+ (I think) you get SAM2. It is certainly an interesting experience. And given the marked differences between the formwares it goes to prove how for better or for worse we are in a lot of cases listening to devices these days that have a sound which is a combination of both the hardware and the software.  

Edited by scumbag

Guest scumbag

When I loaded up 7.1.3 it initially sounded a bit thin to me. I held off any judgements and when I came in the next morning I cranked it up. It was a very enjoyable day of listening. The bass was down to more sensible levels - not as super tight but this is a Devialet so the bass will always be tight. Not as aggressive but having come from Class A gear, that was no tragedy. I think a lot of the early rave reviews of the Dev' were done with 7.1.X or 8.x.x and the comments about the analogue sound seem to suggest that. Newer iterations seem to have become more compressed in nature with an emphasis on the bass which in my listening room is not good. I have read a few recent reviews on the new PRO series. Now that the initial hype has settled down, a lot of people are actually saying that the Expert series sounds better. The issue for anyone buying the PRO is that they effectively start at 10.X.X and can't go back whereas Expert owners can go from (I think) 6 through to 10 and presumably beyond since Devialet would continue to support the expert owners in future firmware releases (I would hope!).

• 2 months later...

I am considering a new integrated amp or pre/power combo and been seeing a fair bit about Devialet.

Any thoughts as to whether these will be future proof - so much high tech stuff loses manufacturer support - a good case in mind is my Meridian gear which is not really supported any more in that when it came out it promised future upgrade paths but these died or were never offered.

Another question is future repairs - if the distributor disappears it becomes hard to get service ..so is a much simpler amp a better idea???

A very good question.

I will try to explain what I mean:

An example is that as technology advances in the digital domain the resolution increases and after 5 years one is left with an expensive amp that has an outdated dac onboard. The manufacturers' sell with an upgrade promise but manufacturers do not continue to support a product for it's life. 

eg my Meridian 596 blew its power board and getting it looked at was not easy.  AV receivers are a good example in how quickly they become almost impossible to connect to a replacement TV. Digital cameras come to mind (would be nice if you could exchange the sensor and software).

I just see so many posters here with amps and preamps as well as speakers that they have been using for many years.

Changing over and throwing away equipment because it becomes obsolete is wasteful, expensive and somehow does not seem great for the environment. I do not mind changing to improve quality and being able to recycle gear that is usable but rapid obsolescence is another thing.

I would like to have an amp that 15 or 20 years from now it can still be serviced and I can connect it to whatever source and speakers I may have then.

• Like 2

I feel your pain on the Meridian not upgrading their stuff.  But then not many others do either.

The best supported kit in terms of upgrades that I know of is Ayre.  

E.g.

https://www.ayre.com/kxr_upgrade.htm

If the Devaliet or the distributor went bust i suspect it would be hard to get fixed as it's not a "normal" amp.  But I am no expert.

9 minutes ago, Toyboyo said:

I would like to have an amp that 15 or 20 years from now it can still be serviced and I can connect it to whatever source and speakers I may have then.

'You are right that anything with a digital input could/will be very quickly superceeded 

Just isolate everything mate. Laptop, software, DAC, preamp, power amp and speakers. Some of this all in one stuff is ridiculously expensive and its not worth the money throwing your hat into the ring of one manufacturer.

• Like 1

Anything with a complex digital processor – meaning just about any digital audio product – will have a much shorter repairable life than a discrete electronic device such as a class A/B amplifier. Moore's law and economics makes this a pretty reliable prediction.

• Like 5

The resale value is what i am thinking when I look at "non normal" amps and gear.  I fear the digital gear will not resell as well because it will become obsolete. Cameras provide a good example: a used mechanical Leica M6 camera now sells for almost its original sale price in 1990 whereas a digital M8 has plummeted in value.

So I wonder if the Devialet is so much better that it is worth taking the depreciation hit ie is the value recovered in the form of a much higher enjoyment return?

Edited by Toyboyo
ommitted sentence

You need to know if u really like the sound compared to the others. Make sure you get super good price.

devialet are all in one. If u like that kind of convinence and space saving that's the way to go. Most audiophiles love things separated.

i believe not long ago dealers are giving out 30% off