A peek into an AKAI AS-1080DB

Well, I had a mostly working old AS_1080DB Quad receiver until today....

Had random issues with it, dropping the Left chanel or low volume. This came and went like a dry joint and seemed better once she warmed up. Everything else seems relatively OK though.

I notice the 5 buttons in a row middle left if they were wiggled (particularly the LOUDNESS button and/or HIGH/LOW) fixed the problem. Had been applying Deoxit5 and followed up with Fader lube and it appeared this was making it better.

Today, took covers off, removed and washed face and got right into the pots... all from Youtube research and on here.

Deoxed and rotated and pressed or wiggled then all 20 times and let them sit for 5 mins. Then I followed the procedure with the Fader can.

Left it sit for an hour.

Plugged it in and its a MESS!!!!

Have now mostly lost the Right chanel but now the Left is great!

Controls that were working are not eg. even the FM mute pull out does nothing. Very sad... :(

I have had it playing for awhile and the Right is slowly coming back however nothing seems right. I am thinking I over did it.

Is it possible to do this and it comes back as it dries out?

I believe a lot of it may be an earth issue however the schematics are just insane for someone with no electrical knowledge.

I'm gutted. Is there anyone in Newcastle through to Sydney areas that would be willing to take a look at it for repair please? Someone old school who knows these old pieces of history?

Kind regards,

Craig. 

20170316_130557.jpg

20170316_130625.jpg

20170316_130654.jpg

Edited by AKAI Love
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shame to hear, I really like this era of Akai and think they are worth repairing. Is it possible to get access to the underside to see how the soldering looks on the main boards?

As far as qualified repairer, on this forum there is @Zaphod Beeblebrox he is in southern Sydney - http://www.rageaudio.com.au/index.php?p=1_3

There are quite a few other knowledgeable people though so they might be able to assist in diagnosing the problem.

Sadly she has been turned off. She got a lot better when she dried out mut its too much work for me. Just take it as a bad experience (Seller told me she was perfect) and let her die in peace until I can find someone willing to rebuild her.

That seems to be a near impossible task.

She has been replaced with a NAD 3020 (original base mounted power supply) and matching 4020 tuner. Was local to me and the owner rebuilt her better than new. She is gorgeous and running a set of exually rare Richter Excalibur's. Playing a cassette as I type on the NAD 6050C.

Amazing sound... Life is good. 

• 5 months later...

• 4 months later...
On 24/09/2017 at 7:14 PM, JeffN said:

Hi

I'm in Newcastle. Do you still have the Akai?

I'd be interested from a parts perspective as I have a as-1080 (no Dolby)

Jeff

It's now back to its old self and working well but still 1 channel dead. Probably the capacitors as others have said. Everything is for sale for the right price. PM me a price if you wish...

• 5 months later...