Depeche Mode, new album Spirit and the rise of social/political themes in "pop" music

After selling more than 100 million albums Depeche Mode is back with a new one this week and i like it alot so far.

its interesting how social and political issue are on the rise again, particularly in the alternative space.  Sign of the times.  Here is another recent example that i have posted before.  Interesting Austra are long time fans of Depeche Mode.

• Like 1

I was a huge fan back in the day....even joined the fan club in my youth!  Saw them live on the Violator tour, which was amazing.  Not so keen on their later stuff, but will certainly give this a listen.

Depeche Mode and the rise of Political themes in pop music.   hmmm - I have been listening to everything they have released since their debut in 1981 and they have never been a political band imo.     While Where's the Revolution has mild political overtones, I don't think any other track on the album will.

Martin Gore writes about love, depression, guilt, fun and most other human emotions, mainly surrounded in a dark gloomy undercurrent.    Love it.

Anyway, the single has been out since Feb 3rd, so looking forward to the album dropping on Friday.  I just have to bloody wait about 2 weeks for the vinyl to arrive.  I will make do with youtube having all the tracks drop officially on March 17.

Anyway, the Oils are back - so we can leave the politics to them ;)

here is a lovely totally politically incorrect remix of Depeche Mode's World In Your Eyes :thumb:   in high def on the 75 inch is pretty awesome.

Edited by Metamatic

Riiiiight!   Not quite, and not if you read recent articles about the album and their history you will find out that they have a history in this space. They have just returned to an early Mode.

Lots more social/political songs on Spirit, according to one reviewer (8/10 fir what its worth) its Depeche Mode in a bit of a pissed off mood.

Edited by Briz Vegas

BV.  Opinions are like arsseholes - everyone has one.  I don't take much notice of reviewers, use them as a guide I guess sort of - I make my mind up for myself and I will with the new DM album.

People are People is nothing about politics - unless you classify equality of people as politics. Social commentary - perhaps but the songs are written from a personal perspective, not a  commentary as such imo.

see some of the lyrics below.

I saw an interview and a question was asked about the meaning of the song "Home" - It is about Martin Gore contemplating suicide and returning home for good.  Nobody, even in the band realised it at the time.

Everything Counts is about Corporate Greed - one of the reasons at the beginning DM shunned the major label contract offers.  They joined Mute records, but did not sign a contract - they trusted Daniel Millar completely.

So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I never even met you

So what could I have done 

Edited by Metamatic

Hmm, in his words, not mine. Maybe it was the leading questions.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7723868/depeche-mode-dave-gahan-spirit-politics-interview

i am not saying that it has been their thing all the time.  They have gone through different phases over the years.  A Broken Frame and Construction time again both had a soviet era vibe that seemed quite political at the time. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Gahan is just trying to sell the latest album. :thumb:    Martin Gore the songwriter is a lot more mellow and doesn't say much at all.

I watched an hour interview with DM last week ( see link) and Martin must have spoken about 10% of the time and even then you could tell he did not want to - most of his songs are personal.  David and Andrew did all the talking. Martin looks like a really shy introverted guy - like a lot of genius's I guess.

Edited by Metamatic

This reminds me of seeing the Clouds at the Zoo a year or so back. Trish the bass player did all the talking pretty much ( it was a very homely kind of gig, like seeing your mates band ).  Trish commented on working with an introvert likeJodi ( who does a big chunk of the writing).  Radiohead and Gary Numan also come to mind.  Its a common theme in music.

i have the Exciter tour on DVD ( very cool DVD if you are a fan) and the dynamic between the group comes through quite strongly. The quiet guy who does the song writing (mostly), the showman (at least on stage), and the straight guy. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/05/2017 at 10:31 AM, metal beat said:

I just saw Depeche Mode live in Amsterdam.   Pretty much the perfect concert to 17,000 other fans excep6fir the lame Matchbox 20 like cover version of Heroes. 

AWESOME!!!

34519967925_bc40c252ab_b.jpg

33710043883_c638d78b30_b.jpg

34479256616_cba58d406d_b.jpg

Fantastic! Great live shows, I've seen them 5 times here, but it would be cool to see them in Europe where they have Godlike status.

I also saw a video of the heroes cover, and agree it sounded a bit limp.

1 hour ago, TheBrightSide said:

Fantastic! Great live shows, I've seen them 5 times here, but it would be cool to see them in Europe where they have Godlike status.

I also saw a video of the heroes cover, and agree it sounded a bit limp.

5 times. Nice.  I have seen them both times they have come to Sydney.

In Amsterdam thou, they far exceeded all expectations I had.  I am still grinning a week later :)

I met some fans that had come from the USA and basing their holiday around the DM concerts in Europe.

15 minutes ago, metal beat said:

5 times. Nice.  I have seen them both times they have come to Sydney.

In Amsterdam thou, they far exceeded all expectations I had.  I am still grinning a week later :)

I met some fans that had come from the USA and basing their holiday around the DM concerts in Europe.

You're pretty lucky, the atmosphere must have been awesome.

Yes DM fans are about as obsessive as you can get.

Though I probably can't talk. Saw 4 out of 5 of the concerts for the Devotional tour (Perth was a bit to far to manage).

Drove to Sydney for the Violator tour (Awesome!), then headed straight back to Melbourne after the show. Was all set to be front row, centre for the Melbourne show (a friend who worked at the venue snuck us in early), then the show was cancelled an hour before. Still shattered about that till this day!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheBrightSide said:

Though I probably can't talk. Saw 4 out of 5 of the concerts for the Devotional tour (Perth was a bit to far to manage).

Drove to Sydney for the Violator tour (Awesome!), then headed straight back to Melbourne after the show. Was all set to be front row, centre for the Melbourne show (a friend who worked at the venue snuck us in early), then the show was cancelled an hour before. Still shattered about that till this day!

Really?:wacko:

Anyway, I am pleased you enjoyed it

5 hours ago, TheBrightSide said:

So would I be shattered - up the front to any concert is awesome.

I remember when Nirvana came out just after Nevermind had been released. They were playing at Selinas and DY hotel. DY is just down the road to me. They played at Selina's , then Smells Like went to #1. Kurt then got a sore throat, canceled the DY gig and flew back to the US.  We were mighty pissed off.

It was just a fluke DM were playing the Sunday before a conference I was going to outside of Amsterdam.  From then I searched for after market tiks, then got lucky with reasonably priced floor tiks.

Ignore @rantan - he is just an old phart :P

11 hours ago, metal beat said:

So would I be shattered - up the front to any concert is awesome.

I remember when Nirvana came out just after Nevermind had been released. They were playing at Selinas and DY hotel. DY is just down the road to me. They played at Selina's , then Smells Like went to #1. Kurt then got a sore throat, canceled the DY gig and flew back to the US.  We were mighty pissed off.

It was just a fluke DM were playing the Sunday before a conference I was going to outside of Amsterdam.  From then I searched for after market tiks, then got lucky with reasonably priced floor tiks.

Ignore @rantan - he is just an old phart :P

Yes I remember that Nirvana tour (but didn't see them)

They played a few small venues in Melbourne, and I heard those shows were incredible. It was right on the eve of them becoming huge.