Sign in to follow this  
John Mc

ME24 or ME25 preamplifier

Dear Perth SNA 'ers - would anyone in Perth consider loaning an ME24 or ME25 preamplifier for trying with a newly hi-capped ME550 MkII amplifier.

I am impressed with the ME550 MkII coupled to an mid-80's vintage NAD pre-amplifer, however would like to hear it in full stride ME -to- ME so to speak.

Looking forward in anticipation.

I have had some dealings with SNA members in Perth and would ask if OK to refer you to them if you are holding back and need a referee or two.

John McManus

A ME14 or 15 should also do......... just as long as any ME pre you do borrow has the updated PS.

Does it have to have a phono stage?........ as not all models do.

I have a ME24, 2 x ME25's and a ME15 but am in Victoria.:(

Are you using the ME 550MKII's "AC coupled" or "DC direct" inputs with the NAD?

Pretty sure that you can use DC direct with an ME pre which also aids in SQ.

For everything ME.......@zaphod is THE man!!!!

He's in Sydney but that won't stop him helping you!!!!........

A very cool and extremely knowledgeable dude.

Edited by JohnL

Hi John - thanks for your input.

I have talked with Trevor, he was very helpful and forthcoming, even offering to send an ME-25 on trial. The ME550 amplifier is not mine which I currently have on trial and is providing some mystical attraction although I am trying to stay on course in search of an integrated to suit my LS3/5a copies complete with AB-1 bass extenders. The ME550 mkii Hi-cap certainly has it measure of these miniature and low efficiency speakers. I do feel however that an Accuphase integrated I have tried (E-205) was a little more settled in the upper frequencies and less fizzy (if that's even an audio term anyone will understand) while also providing plenty of bass grip and control. I also have the feeling the ME stretches the soundstage and seems to isolate the cymbals from the drum set on some music. Hence my interest in further optimising to see if a well sorted ME preamp can weave even more magic and perhaps calm the top end a little and further soothe my wandering ear. There is also a bit of hum - I feel it is quite likely caused by my well travelled NAD Preamp, however is it possible this could be calmed by using an ME preamp and DC coupling?

In answer to your questions - I am not currently in need of a phono stage although it might be a "nice to have" and the NAD1155 preamp is connected using the "AC coupled" inputs.

Thanks again and Regards

John

Cool...........

Maybe you could try a few different I/C's between Pre and Power to fine tune.

Hi John - thanks for your input.

I have talked with Trevor, he was very helpful and forthcoming, even offering to send an ME-25 on trial. The ME550 amplifier is not mine which I currently have on trial and is providing some mystical attraction although I am trying to stay on course in search of an integrated to suit my LS3/5a copies complete with AB-1 bass extenders. The ME550 mkii Hi-cap certainly has it measure of these miniature and low efficiency speakers. I do feel however that an Accuphase integrated I have tried (E-205) was a little more settled in the upper frequencies and less fizzy (if that's even an audio term anyone will understand) while also providing plenty of bass grip and control. I also have the feeling the ME stretches the soundstage and seems to isolate the cymbals from the drum set on some music. Hence my interest in further optimising to see if a well sorted ME preamp can weave even more magic and perhaps calm the top end a little and further soothe my wandering ear. There is also a bit of hum - I feel it is quite likely caused by my well travelled NAD Preamp, however is it possible this could be calmed by using an ME preamp and DC coupling?

In answer to your questions - I am not currently in need of a phono stage although it might be a "nice to have" and the NAD1155 preamp is connected using the "AC coupled" inputs.

Thanks again and Regards

John

Found and thanks for the responses.

Decided on running integrateds for the time being and am trying out an Accuphase E-205 and Myryad Z140.

Regards

John