Sonica DAC Cancelled (Unofficial)

• Administrator

Sorry I have nothing to add. I was promised some information that evidently hasn't been forthcoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Sorry I have nothing to add. I was promised some information that evidently hasn't been forthcoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries Marc - thanks for the response.

• 1 month later...

http://archimago.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/measurements-oppo-sonica-dac-ess-sabre.html

found this link testing the D/A of the OPPO Sonica converter.   

OPPO Australia finally nailed its fate here in Aust.  But this link gives you the performance measurements of the this unit compared to the a few others too.  Note that even though there's what's claim to be a superior latest ESS 9038 chip and a whole different analog and PSU circuitry the measurements between the Sonica and the OPPO 105 are notnthat different.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Check out Chord's latest presentation at RMAF 2017. Measuring steady state conditions doesn't  tells us enough about how they actually sound 

Long but well worth the time

Having said that, the 9038 in the Oppo 205 sounds noticeably better than the 105 and HA1 in the store when I was using headphones. 

And is it true that the Sonica doesn't get Roon support - but the 203/205 already does. Maybe there is some truth to the Sonica being discontinued. 

• Like 1

On 28/10/2017 at 3:28 PM, DoggieHowser said:

Check out Chord's latest presentation at RMAF 2017. Measuring steady state conditions doesn't  tells us enough about how they actually sound 

Long but well worth the time

Having said that, the 9038 in the Oppo 205 sounds noticeably better than the 105 and HA1 in the store when I was using headphones. 

And is it true that the Sonica doesn't get Roon support - but the 203/205 already does. Maybe there is some truth to the Sonica being discontinued. 

I had a listened to the HA1 sample at a show,  the biggest injustice that they did to that unit was to use a standard mechanical volume pot.   It sounded nothing like the 105 with the same headphone at the same volume using the same tracks in a USB stick.  In the same show I also listen to a Stax 009 with a highly sort after tube electrostatic driver that used a Alps k50 pot....i was disappointed for life and will no longer pursue a Stax 009.

when you used totally different psu designs and totally different opamps,  I doubt that the unit will sound the same, even if they measure almost identical the aural presentation is going to be expected to different.   That said the OPPO products  measure extremely well under test.   And I'm greatful the Sonica didn't use a mechanical volume pot!  

Thanks for the likes " :)

here another review.
For now I can only anticipate that it is superlatively built. The finishing is impeccable and it weighs its own, they have not lowered costs by saving on materials.
I must get the proper fuse before connecting it to the electrical network. Here we have 220 volts, 50 HZ.

https://headfonics.com/2017/05/the-sonica-dac-by-oppo/

1024_2000 (1).png

1024_2000 (2).png

1024_2000.png

I forgot to mention that Oppo responded immediately to the criticism of lack of remote control
It was originally designed to be used through the application on a smartphone or tablet.
But this is not as fast and comfortable as a dedicated CR, for a small surcharge, they send it.
And I asked for it, it's not the control of the Prima Luna amplifier, but it's small and pretty ...:aww:

4 hours ago, arpavieja78 said:

I think for 35 US $ I will be able to put it to good use when I do not need to use the app.
For example, when I use a CD transport and the Oppo Sonica as a DAC, why do I want to use a smart phone?  :baby:

You need wifi to used the phone or tablet.

You can use the smart phone but I haven't seen the user interface on a android.  The Apple iPhone is a little difficult to use; naturally it's not as comprehensive like a iPad/tablet becuase of the screen size.  The 105 has a "pure audio" mode and it shuts down the screen and I also believe the video circuits but don't quote me on that.   The wifi enable with a tablet enables you ALL controls of the 105. originally the  105 only came out with the remote and you need a panel connected to display your navigation and control.   Once the apps for the  phone and iPad was released, it did away the remote and the requirement for a panel for display, it's all on the tablet. It also allows you to navigate a USB HDD 3.0 to all your music files in alphabetical order.  The wifi allows you also to navigate all your attached drives on the network.  Extremely powerful feature.   I don't send music from a PC to the 105 via USB.  I load them on a portable  2TB HDD USB 3.0 and attached that to a USB port of the 105.  The beauty of this is that it eliminates and isolate noise from the PC.  The 105 has a buffer RAM where it  stores the data that it recalls from the USB drive.  You can see the drive go active when it recalls for the data.

i do agree with you, the built quality is of very high standards.  I've never had a problem with the 105 apart from FIrmware Upgrades and updates on apps.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2017 at 5:04 PM, Addicted to music said:

Necesita wifi para usar el teléfono o la tableta.

Puedes usar el teléfono inteligente pero no he visto la interfaz de usuario en un android. El iPhone de Apple es un poco difícil de usar; naturalmente, no es tan completo como un iPad / tableta debido al tamaño de la pantalla. El 105 tiene un modo de "audio puro" y apaga la pantalla y también creo en los circuitos de video, pero no me cito sobre eso. La habilitación wifi con una tableta te permite TODOS los controles del 105. Originalmente, el 105 solo salió con el control remoto y necesitas un panel conectado para mostrar tu navegación y control. Una vez que se lanzaron las aplicaciones para el teléfono y el iPad, eliminó el control remoto y el requisito de un panel para mostrar, todo está en la tableta. También le permite navegar un USB HDD 3.0 a todos sus archivos de música en orden alfabético. El wifi también le permite navegar por todas sus unidades conectadas en la red. Característica extremadamente poderosa. No envío música desde una PC al 105 a través de USB. Los cargo en un HDD USB 3.0 portátil de 2TB y lo conecté a un puerto USB del 105. La belleza de esto es que elimina y aísla el ruido de la PC. El 105 tiene una memoria intermedia RAM donde almacena los datos que recuerda de la unidad USB. Puede ver que la unidad se activa cuando recupera los datos.

Estoy de acuerdo con usted, la calidad construida es de muy altos estándares. Nunca he tenido un problema con el 105, aparte de las Actualizaciones de FIrmware y las actualizaciones de las aplicaciones.

Thank  you for your comments.
Just today I put into operation the Oppo Sonica. All I can say is that it has left me pleasantly surprised. Very surprised!
The level of detail, dynamic range and frequency response has left me with a big smile on my face .. Everything is very harmonic and natural, like music in reality.
Who said that the Cd is inferior in sound quality to the vinyl?
I have been able to confirm by my own ears that the real sound of the CD is "hard" as they assign it, only because the DAC is not up to a good conversion.
This Ess Saber 9038 chip is serious, really.

I have put the Oppo Sonica to the test with a very elementary Cd reader as transport, taking the digital signal by optical fiber (Toslink) and then to the DAC, then to the Prima Luna Dialogue Two amplifier with KT-88 and finally to the DTWTII speakers of Troels Gravesen ... Very happy !!!

But I will not talk more about this product out of respect for users who can not buy it in your country. You have things at your fingertips that are very good too, from what I've read.

I have not yet tried streaming with Tidal, I have to configure everything, but I guess there will be no big differences to what I described, they transmit 44.1 KHZ, CD quality.

I just want to add that the test was with a guitar and voice CD, and it is a really analog record, edited in digital, and it has many years ..

So the best is yet to come !

Agree with Addicted to Music and I used my 105D and now Cambridge CXN in the same way - i.e. music files on a portable HDD connected to the device via USB. The other great thing about using a tablet or phone app for remote control is that you don't need to be within line of sight like you do with the hardware remote.

On 6/11/2017 at 10:16 PM, PeteD said:

Agree with Addicted to Music and I used my 105D and now Cambridge CXN in the same way - i.e. music files on a portable HDD connected to the device via USB. The other great thing about using a tablet or phone app for remote control is that you don't need to be within line of sight like you do with the hardware remote.

I do not understand what you mean by this.
I have a lot of CD and right now I am rediscovering the sound of them with this amazing DAC chip Ess Saber 9038Pro.
For this the basic functions that use the remote control allow me to manage everything on and off, volume control and selector of source inputs. It has some other functions that I have not analyzed yet.
I have not used wi fi with my netbook, nor with my smart phone. Also as you say you can use an external HDD (I own one with a lot of music files without loss)

Thanks for the tips.

2 hours ago, arpavieja78 said:

I do not understand what you mean by this.
I have a lot of CD and right now I am rediscovering the sound of them with this amazing DAC chip Ess Saber 9038Pro.
For this the basic functions that use the remote control allow me to manage everything on and off, volume control and selector of source inputs. It has some other functions that I have not analyzed yet.
I have not used wi fi with my netbook, nor with my smart phone. Also as you say you can use an external HDD (I own one with a lot of music files without loss)

Thanks for the tips.

What he is saying is that with the remote you need to point the front of the remote to the device so it sees the commands, so both the remote and the device must be within line of sight.   Most remote have an transmitting inferred LED and the device has a receiving photoreceptor to see the commands from the remote.  With wifi you don't have to be with line of sight, as long as the wifi is within range between the tablet and the device.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

What he is saying is that with the remote you need to point the front of the remote to the device so it sees the commands, so both the remote and the device must be within line of sight.   Most remote have an transmitting inferred LED and the device has a receiving photoreceptor to see the commands from the remote.  With wifi you don't have to be with line of sight, as long as the wifi is within range between the tablet and the device.

ok now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.
I leave some images of the CR of Oppo Sonica.

See the comparative size with the CR of my PL, it is another price, sure, for 35 U$S I guess it could not be offered anymore.
I can not find where the batteries will be changed, I imagine they will be of the "coin, button, etc." type, like those of the PC motherboards.
I have not found on Oppo's official website the option to order the same with or without CR .... mystery ....

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, bmc said:

Looks similar to the HA1 remote. Poke a wire into the hole on the bottom end of the remote and the battery compartment pops out.

Ohhh ...:ohmy:

like the little hole in the CD readers of PC computers to open the tray when it gets stuck with a CD inside .....

I have a special tool for it, it should be preferably steel, a simple wire would not work in those cases.

Thanks, very useful information.:thumb:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have to admit that there is a problem with the Oppo Sonica Dac which is (in my opinion) very disturbing.
It does not play files continuously, without interruptions, when we use streaming. (the fault is known as gapless) It's disappointing.

I have presented the problem in other forums in the USA and nobody can tell me why Oppo does not solve this point.

There are people who say that there will be no solution through any firmware update. If this were possible, they would have done it already, it sounds logical. It is also said that the hardware used does not allow the complete storage of bits, (for example of a complete symphonic work, with its contents so revealing of the climate lived between the different passages of the work.)

And also with music recorded continuously, even if it's not live.
Abbey Road of The Beatles, for example, has interruptions in several passages when it was conceived to listen to it in one go !

They have not lost anything, boys .....:angry:

Edited by arpavieja78