Marc

DOES YOUR POWER CORD COMPLY?

You need to be really careful with non Aus compliant plugs if you have a house fire.  One of the things that fire investigators will look for in the charred rubble is power cable plugs and power boards.  Even after a fire it's pretty obvious whether they are Aus or not.   It's something that could affect an insurance claim.

1 minute ago, gat474 said:

You need to be really careful with non Aus compliant plugs if you have a house fire.  One of the things that fire investigators will look for in the charred rubble is power cable plugs and power boards.  Even after a fire it's pretty obvious whether they are Aus or not.   It's something that could affect an insurance claim.

Oh no, I don't intend on ever using US plugs/sockets. Just asking why people use them.

More choice and maybe cheaper prices.

1 hour ago, gat474 said:

Exactly. 

I really have no idea why people willingly use US plugs and as someone who has a family member in a senior job with a large insurance company, I can definitely say that they look very closely at this sort of thing when any house fire claim is lodged and it can lead to a claim rejection. 

To anybody reading this, I urge you to NOT USE US PLUGS.

I’m sure this has been discussed before but are non-Australian plugs automatically non-compliant?

2 hours ago, vong said:

Hi all,

I see a lot of cables and power conditions with US plugs and sockets in the classifieds and want to know why people buy/use those instead of AU ones?

Probably because they imported these and there are many more options and at a lower cost..

10 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I’m sure this has been discussed before but are non-Australian plugs automatically non-compliant?

I wonder what the situation is if you are using US/Canadian equipment via an approved step-down transformer (such as those made by Tortech).  In this situation you would still be using a US plug but the transformer would be plugged into the mains via an Australian plug.

I have seen instances where US cables have been plugged into 'international' power boards (such as those that used to be sold by Eichmann and Consonance), so the voltage going through them would be 240.

Are we really going to do this all over again? Every 2 months someone asks a similar question and the same group of people gives them the same half-informed answers. I would really like to know why anyone thinks that any US approved plug or socket would not be electrically compliant with AUS/NZ mains standards?

...and no, insurance will not refuse to payout only because someone uses US plugs or sockets. Insurance needs to prove how the fire started and if any electrical device in the house actually contributed to the fire or not. 

It's not about voltage, it's about compliance.

If it aint been tested by the right people, it aint compliant.

Even it if would pass all tests, it is deemed as non-compliant until it is effectively tested to the right standards and the compliance record/details/number is produced.

Because, how would we know if it is safe, if it isn't tested.

It's just you saying "but it is safe!"

Safety standards competence, versus your confidence, is not the same thing.

21 minutes ago, Decky said:

Insurance needs to prove how the fire started and if any electrical device in the house actually contributed to the fire or not.

Insurance company will try to find any reason at all to deny you a claim. If you were using non-compliant plugs or sockets, they need to look no further.

Just as if you were over the .05 limit on the road, it would not matter who/how/why the accident happened.

To come back to the original question, in general, people look at reviews for guidance more than they should and if some piece of equipment like power cable is only available for US market (because it is big) they will buy it if they think it would bring them closer to sonic Nirvana.

Reviews however are nothing more than advertorials and their use is limited to finding out about equipment features. They are worthless as far as indicator of anything to do with performance (or anything else that is subjective).

37 minutes ago, Decky said:

Are we really going to do this all over again? Every 2 months someone asks a similar question and the same group of people gives them the same half-informed answers. I would really like to know why anyone thinks that any US approved plug or socket would not be electrically compliant with AUS/NZ mains standards?

...and no, insurance will not refuse to payout only because someone uses US plugs or sockets. Insurance needs to prove how the fire started and if any electrical device in the house actually contributed to the fire or not. 

Wrong on all counts. Insurance companies can ,and have regularly refused claims due to the use of non compliant plugs.

May I assume you work in the insurance industry?

Yeah right!

Posted (edited)

I took insurance claims for 3 years while at uni (great job any uni students reading - 24/7 hours, most as OT) - never saw a claim denied for anything other than deliberate damage by the insured and an investigator was only brought in if the police were suspicious.

An investigation that would hold up in court is very expensive.

If you really want to know, read your PDS and phone your insurance company.

Edited by H.E. Pennypacker

Does anyone know any audiophile that has suffered a serious house fire?

4 hours ago, Decky said:

Decky, I'm surprised at your comment.

Things are "electrically compliant with AUS/NZ mains standards " because they have been through the compliance process and are certified as having done so.

US plugs and power cords do not have AUS/NZ approval.

Andy

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, andyr said:

Decky, I'm surprised at your comment.

Things are "electrically compliant with AUS/NZ mains standards " because they have been through the compliance process and are certified as having done so.

US plugs and power cords do not have AUS/NZ approval.

Andy

Andy

It does not mean they would not pass the compliance process if allowed to test US power outlets / plugs.

My old electrician said my then PS power port outlet were better quality than any approved AU power outlet he had ever seen.

Edited by metal beat

12 minutes ago, metal beat said:

It does not mean they would not pass the compliance process if allowed to test US power outlets / plugs.

Of course they would not pass.

They have pins set out in wrong places - meaning they are not up to the A.S.

The process would not even begin. There would be a lot of laughter at the person/organisation submitting them.

14 minutes ago, metal beat said:

My old electrician said my then PS power port outlet were better quality than any approved AU power outlet he had ever seen.

Adherence to standard and quality are two different things.

For instance, there are plenty of cars in the world that are of high standard but because they have steering wheel on the left side, are not compliant with A.D.R.

A hypothetical question:

If we are faced with a situation where we have only one respirator available that has US mains cable and it was not certified for AUS/NZ (although capable of working on 240V). What would you guys do - use it regardless and try to safe someones life or wait for the next available electrical safety technician to certify it first? 

Posted (edited)

I totally understand that there is a mechanical incompatibility due to pin form, cable assignment and physical pin configuration BUT what is it about US AC plugs that are electrically incompatible with AC power in Australia when the IEC plugs are universally used without any concerns at all?  

I have always wondered how is it that the 'IEC' plugs installed on the other ends of many if not every single one of these power cables – regardless of whether they have Australian AC plugs (10A/250V) or US AC plus (15A/110V) – are ALL dual rated (10A/250V & 15A/110V)??

for example very popular Furutech IEC connectors:

http://www.furutech.com/2013/01/26/982/

images.jpg

Edited by Aperalim

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, rockeater said:

Of course they would not pass.

They have pins set out in wrong places - meaning they are not up to the A.S.

The process would not even begin. There would be a lot of laughter at the person/organisation submitting them.

Adherence to standard and quality are two different things.

For instance, there are plenty of cars in the world that are of high standard but because they have steering wheel on the left side, are not compliant with A.D.R.

Of course they would not pass if you tried to use AU plug in US outlet of visa versa.    If allowed to us US power plug with US power outlet,  please give a reason why they would not pass compliance testing?

You can register a left hand drive and comply with ADR standards if you want to go with the hassle and expense. 

Or buy a vehicle from Japan and get it certified.  You realise Japan has steering wheels on the right also :)

Edited by metal beat

28 minutes ago, Decky said:

A hypothetical question:

If we are faced with a situation where we have only one respirator available that has US mains cable and it was not certified for AUS/NZ (although capable of working on 240V). What would you guys do - use it regardless and try to safe someones life or wait for the next available electrical safety technician to certify it first? 

It's so hypothetical, that it's not relevant.

US plugs or any plug that is not AU standard is not compliant in Australia and illegal to use. As suggested by many, if it were found to be the cause of a fire, it would instantly be used as an insurance claim dismissal.

I have been through this extensively and spoken with all the right people (and obtained all the relevant standards) prior to our first hi-fi show. We also had an inspector come around (unannounced) on the first day checking exhibitor's compliance (being a public event).

41 minutes ago, Decky said:

A hypothetical question:

I certainly would use it if my life depended on it.

I just wouldn't buy it in normal times for normal use because someone said in some article that if you use this ventilator with US plug it would deliver cleaner, healthier oxygen.

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

As suggested by many, if it were found to be the cause of a fire, it would instantly be used as an insurance claim dismissal.

+1

End of story...

42 minutes ago, metal beat said:

You can register a left hand drive and comply with ADR standards if you want to go with the hassle and expense. 

Or buy a vehicle from Japan and get it certified.  You realise Japan has steering wheels on the right also :)

Exactly, it has to be modified to comply with ADRs, then an exemption can be applied for to be allowed on AUS roads.
No such exemption is allowed, permissible, or obtainable in Australia when it comes to our electrical safety standards.

So, also not relevant mate :)

To @vong a couple of thread worth a read with regards compliance .....

while a choice to comply or not. not complying will just leave door open to one risk to yourself and others ... other penalties-resulting costs of non compliance that can result (see above threads)

Posted (edited)

Do these checks get done before US power cords and DIY cords are approved for the Stereonet classifieds?

Edited by metal beat