Turntable mats, what is hot and what is not?

I couldn't find any recent threads on this topic and as a re-incarnated vinyl user who is just getting back into the medium, I would really appreciate some suggestions for what is good in TT mats and perhaps ,what is best avoided.

Many years ago when I only used vinyl, the mat thing wasn't so developed and diverse and there was much less choice in what mats were sold.

So, is just keeping the stock rubber mat a big no-no and if so what is good and what sort of benefits could I realistically hope to achieve?

Please be gentle,it's been a long time:)

Edited by rantan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ophool said:

If you are close enough to me, perhaps you could borrow a few to try.

I'm in Sydney Inner West.

I appreciate your kind offer but I am in Adelaide:thumb:

• Like 1

Have a look at this thread 

Probably not much help to you but mat effectiveness really is turntable dependent.

One mat that sounds good on say a Rega may sound crap on a VPI etc. And that's not even starting on taking into account personal preferences.

Some mats isolate the record from the platter, some couple. Different design philosophies work differently on different turntables.

@rantan what turntable are you planning on using the mat on?

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 2

I cant speak for your table. but two mats I've had good sucess with are a heavy rubber one.

file.php?id=9858&mode=view

this is thick and heavy. though that sits unused as while will suit other tables eg the technics above, on the regas I've found the blue horizon split natural rubber impregnated cork mat to work an absolute treat !!!!

image.aspx?filename=BHrecordmat.jpg

http://recordclean.com.au/blue-horizon-turntable-mat.html

mine was actually ortofon branded when I got mine but it is exactly the same as the blue horizon one 

can see the cork/natural rubber mat  on my table below,

11577520015_205f0f866f_b.jpg

Looks sweet rantan! But not familiar with it.

You could either try a heavy damping mat, such as a rubber/cork layered one or something like a Resomat to isolate the record from the (what looks like a heavy) platter. 

Most would opt for the heavy dampening (I'm guessing it has  a heavyish rubber type mat already) but I've had great results from mats with little contact with the record e,g resomat, cork spot mats. Sometimes its good to have the Resomat on top of the heavy rubber mat.

In other words, any combo may or may not work with your combo, your ears, so suck it and see! I know not much help but hey that's hifi  for you.

Just remember to adjust for VTA.

Edited by Citroen

1 minute ago, Citroen said:

Looks sweet rantan! But not familiar with it.

You could either try a heavy damping mat, such as a rubber/cork layered one or something like a Resomat to isolate the record from the (what looks like a heavy) platter. 

Most would opt for the heavy dampening (I'm guessing it has  a heavyish rubber type mat already) but I've had great results from mats with little contact with the record e,g resomat, cork spot mats. Sometimes its good to have the Resomat on top of the heavy rubber mat.

Just remember to adjust for VTA.

Thanks mate, it really is sweet and it is currently undergoing a service and cart fit from @johnmath.  It does indeed have a fairly decent weight rubber mat. I am having the RCA's replaced also and having a proper ground terminal fitted.

2 minutes ago, Metamatic said:

Personally I would stick with the original rubber mat.  

The rubber mat damps the aluminium platter of the Hitachi PS-48 and gives the music a little help in zip and dynamics.

Don't dismiss adding a mat on top of the rubber mat.

Some of the best results I've had is placing the Resomat on top of either the original 401 mat or even better using an Auditorium mat, under a Resomat

• Like 3

Thanks to @Metamatic and @Citroen:)

I must admit my instincts, which are pretty good, were telling me to stay with the original matt. John is indeed a TT guru and he is just giving it the once-over so with the new cart it should sound great. it came with an original Hitachi ( AT ) cart but that was a bit sibilant. Other than that it sounded pretty damn good.

• Like 1

Don't dismiss adding a mat on top of the rubber mat.

Some of the best results I've had is placing the Resomat on top of either the original 401 mat or even better using an Auditorium mat, under a Resomat

Second this suggestion and also agree with@metamatic. Stick with the original see how it sounds and if you want to try lowering the noise floor try an isolating mat on top. Those cheap ones made from non slip mats work well as an experiment at least. I'll find a pic or a link and post it later.
  • Like 2

Just now, mloutfie said:

can you use a clamp with it? how dows it perform sith slightly warped record?

I have a clamp, but think mine (300 odd grams) is probably too heavy for it. Haven't tried one.

As with warped record, I'm not sure what you mean?

The record will show the same degree of warp-ness no matter what it's sitting on.

Or is there something I'm missing here? :)

1 minute ago, soundfan said:

I have a clamp, but think mine (300 odd grams) is probably too heavy for it. Haven't tried one.

As with warped record, I'm not sure what you mean?

The record will show the same degree of warp-ness no matter what it's sitting on.

Or is there something I'm missing here? :)

I'm looking for a new mat and that resomat looks good. I do have a few slightly warped record so I need a clamp to flattened them before playing I wonder will I still be able to use a clamp with all those spikes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mloutfie said:

I'm looking for a new mat and that resomat looks good. I do have a few slightly warped record so I need a clamp to flattened them before playing I wonder will I still be able to use a clamp with all those spikes

IIRC the owner of Resomats was quite helpful back when I purchased mine. Shoot him an email perhaps?

The mat itself is quite flimsy, I got quite a shock when I first picked it up,

Chris

30lkw12.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anti-Non-Slip-Grip-Mat-30x100cm-Kitchen-Drawer-Cupboard-Underlay-Liner-Durable-/181536650782?var=&hash=item2a446d761e:m:m2cGYUCrLvvgv_qlQ89LjLg

This is the one I was referring to earlier, made from a lattice of lightweight foam. It does a great job at isolating in my experience and is thin enough the add to an existing mat, underneath or on top. I bought one from ebay some years ago, but easy to diy using a commonly available non-slip mat material. Only caveat is that will leave residue on LPs that are left on it for some hours, which would be an unusual occurrence for the average garden variety OCD audiophile ;) I reckon Chris' Resomat would work as well, if not better than this, but IMO you would probably still require damping of your alu platter with either one. Suck it and see :)

2 hours ago, mloutfie said:

can you use a clamp with it? how dows it perform sith slightly warped record?

I believe its not designed to be used with a clamp. 

With slightly warped records all points might not contact the record but that should be OK

"  The idea with this mat is to have absolutely no influence on the record. It sits on cones with minimal contact with no clamping. Vibrations from the stylus are free to dissipate in the open air with no reflections. There is nothing to dampen the record either. "  

http://www.trans-fi.com/resomat.htm

• Like 1

Guest Hensa
I use a Resomat, and haven't changed it in over 4 years now.[emoji4] 

stackedplatter_zps67c746e1.jpg

I must dig mine out of the cupboard and give it another go. I couldn't really get my head around the notion of the record sitting on a series of plastic spikes on a flimsy base. I'm sure the science is sound so will give it a proper go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Citroen said:

I believe its not designed to be used with a clamp. 

With slightly warped records all points might not contact the record but that should be OK

"  The idea with this mat is to have absolutely no influence on the record. It sits on cones with minimal contact with no clamping. Vibrations from the stylus are free to dissipate in the open air with no reflections. There is nothing to dampen the record either. "  

http://www.trans-fi.com/resomat.htm

Thanks won't work well in my case then there is a few records I won really need a clamp to be played flat. In the same note what is the recommended mat for an acrylic platter. I used to use acrylic mat on a metal and glass platter and haven't used a mat ever since I change the turntable with a acrylic platter. or better just save some money to get a delrin platter :P