Replace ribbon in Sonic Art tweeter (Fountek)

SETfan

I misconnected one of my speaker wires (dumb!!), and have ended up with a droopy ribbon on one of my Sonic Art (aka Fountek JP3.0) ribbon tweeters.

It seems to play ok still, but dont want to risk playing too loud just in case. Anyway, it is obviously now mis-shapen, and I think it will definitely now vibrate or buzz when played louder, so need to replace it.

Does anyone know of anyone in Oz that could do this, or maybe supply a replacement ribbon? Otherwise, I think it is only possible to buy a totally new matching pair of tweeter units again which is a bit costly. I found some instructions on the Fountek website, using household aluminium foil, but I am no DIY'er and would be guaranteed to "foil" at any attempt!!! :-)

Cheers, Mark

BTW: I use these in a Dick Olsher "Basszilla" 3 way, custom made open baffle design.

I misconnected one of my speaker wires (dumb!!), and have ended up with a droopy ribbon on one of my Sonic Art (aka Fountek JP3.0) ribbon tweeters.

It seems to play ok still, but dont want to risk playing too loud just in case. Anyway, it is obviously now mis-shapen, and I think it will definitely now vibrate or buzz when played louder, so need to replace it.

Does anyone know of anyone in Oz that could do this, or maybe supply a replacement ribbon? /quote]

Hello SF,

On the Fountek Website I found these Australian contacts/distributors. Try them for a replacement ribbon.

Asia Pacific

Stones Sound Studio

Po Box 94, Tyalgum 2484 NSW, Australia

Tel: +61 2 66 79 3059 +61 2 66 79 3555

Fax: +61 2 66 79 3700

WES Components

Wholesale Distributors

138 Liverpool Rd, Ashfield 2131

NSW Australia.

Tel: +61 2 9797 9866

Fax: +61 2 9799 7051

Wagner Electronic Services

Retail Outlet

138 Liverpool Rd Ashfield 2131

NSW Australia.

Tel: +61 2 9798 9233

Fax: +61 2 9798 0017

Best

JA

Thanks Guys!

Got on to Stones Audio in Oz, they will replace the ribbon for $90.

A little bit pricey considering a brand new pair only cost $239 but I am not keen on the DIY repair using household aluminium foil that I also stumbled across!! I found that Aurum Cantus supply replacement ribbons for their tweeter which are cosmetically very similar for only US$4 but the ribbon corrugations appear different so I better stick with exactly the same as the Fountek/Sonic Art I have.

Cheers.

Thanks Guys!

Got on to Stones Audio in Oz, they will replace the ribbon for $90.

A little bit pricey considering a brand new pair only cost $239 but I am not keen on the DIY repair using household aluminium foil that I also stumbled across!! I found that Aurum Cantus supply replacement ribbons for their tweeter which are cosmetically very similar for only US$4 but the ribbon corrugations appear different so I better stick with exactly the same as the Fountek/Sonic Art I have.

Cheers.

I meant buy an original diaphragm and replace it yourself. It doesn't look hard or require special tools.
If you bought a new pair then you would have 1 left over for a centre speaker project :o
I agree with your logic here (even as a spare for later) especially considering shipping both ways will be involved for the repair.

I have repaired/replaced a Fountek ribbon tweeter for a friend - the job was a bit of a pain, but still doable for the average person if you have patience. The procedure took about 1hr to do. In contrast a Raven ribbon takes about 5 minutes to change, the Ravens are much better constructed, better magnets, plates and assembly, the whole thing is simple and modular and comes apart easily ...Ravens sound better too.

BTW, I also roll/make my own ribbons with varying thickness of alluminium (or should that be thinness??). The thicker stuff gives a stronger soundfield at the loss of some featheryness. Don't laugh, but the best sound (and taste) comes from a chocolate Toblerone wrapper! ...wife likes it too, she gets to eat the chocolate.

Cheers,

Steve M.

1239415215.jpg

Edited by Steve M