Vinyl - Currently Spinning

10 minutes ago, Full Range said:

That’s what I need to celebrate the new grand baby’s birth ??

Congrats RS. 1st grandchild is special. And a little girl. Man, you are going to spoil her rotten. ?Tough not being able to see her at the moment though.  But you will make up for it I'm sure Poppy.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I forgot to mention that my grandparents ( on my mother’s side ) grew Tobacco for decades in Northern Greece, it was the Asian variety 

I remember my job was to use needle and thread on the leaves to be hung on drying racks 
Grandfather taught me how to roll cigars 

Funny thing is - I have never smoked throughout my life 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Full Range said:

I forgot to mention that my grandparents ( on my mother’s side ) grew Tobacco for decades in Northern Greece, it was the Asian variety 

I remember my job was to use needle and thread on the leaves to be hung on drying racks 
Grandfather taught me how to roll cigars 

Funny thing is - I have never smoked throughout my life 

As long as you drink?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Yeah, I guess it’s just my idea of jazz is a lot harsher and not as smooth and laid back.............perhaps jazz rock?? Fagen had a very unique sound and it’s probably the prevalence of piano and sax that reminds me of Steely Dan. Those blokes probably had their roots in trad jazz, so no surprise they ended up with that style of playing I suppose.

Cheers Keith

Like any genre. They have their sub-genre's ( or is genre both singular and plural. Damm that pwstereo messing with my head. I'm cross referencing everthing l write now)

LOL.

I mean l don't like Acker Bilk.

And I'm not a Jazz head by any means. But l don't mind a bit of Miles Davis or Duke Ellington.

But l do like modern jazz more. There is a jazz guitarist called Norman Brown that l quite like.

But l do prefer my jazz with vocals.

Check out an jazz pianist called Patricia Barber, her album Smash. Then you will get a sense of what l like. You too might like it, l think. Might be up to John's liking as well. She is smooth, very smooth.

Nice chatting as always Keith.

Ken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

I don't smoke Cigars - but does look suspiciously like one eh?

The Irony of it !!

large-cor_dom_10th_phatty_hab_box.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 4.32.57 pm.png

Yes, the irony of it indeed. But good to know that there is still good versions of Corona out there (though l wouldn't name my kid that, as someone did recently).

I used to imbibe myself to the odd Carona; both beer and cigar (don't like the 2020 version, it keeps you house bound).

Had a mate who went to Cuba who bought me back a case. Highly illegal...good man. You have to have Mads wage to pay for them. When l last checked several years ago they were around $35/$40 each. 

Who knows, maybe RS is handing them out. He's a mate now. ?

Nice chatting to you April, as always.

Ken

Edited by needlerunner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Check out an jazz pianist called Patricia Barber, her album Smash. Then you will get a sense of what l like. You too might like it, l think. Might be up to John's liking as well. She is smooth, very smooth.

Nice chatting as always Keith.

Ken.

Talk about telling someone how to suck eggs!!?
Do you mean Patricia Barber who did Cafe Blue, Verse, Companion etc.? I’m very familiar with her music...........do you have these albums and others of hers?
I’m a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald, so I reckon you would like her style as a jazz singer............................you should check her out, you might like her.?

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Never mind the cheesy band name this is some quality shoegaze from Greece.

****** Lips - Athanasia

image.thumb.png.beb0304ce721ea896216005b70634aa9.png

Having a listen now on YouTube 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, April Snow said:

Continuing on with some Madonna  12 inch Mixes :D

Madonna and the 90s :wub:

IMG_3436.JPG

Take a bow is my favorite Maddona song. How is the SQ? Is it a first or reissue ?

• Like 2

On 23/04/2020 at 5:48 PM, April Snow said:

What issue of the Bob Marley is that? I have it on my wish list but read the single Vinyl is not a good pressing? How did you find it? I am tossing up whether to get it or get the double version.........

single version. wife got them for me from JB HIFI. i am new to collecting so still learning what good and not so good. I am just happy i got it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tab74 said:

single version. wife got them for me from JB HIFI. i am new to collecting so still learning what good and not so good. I am just happy i got it.

Welcome to the vinyl spinning thread 

Start with any Artists / Bands & titles that you love first and go from there 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Welcome to the vinyl spinning thread 

Start with any Artists / Bands & titles that you love first and go from there 

yes have a few from artists and bands i know and trying some jazz i getting into the sound of jazz currently listening to jazz on a Digital tv station

• Like 2

Hi All,

Finished the day with Goanna, Spirit of Place 

1862562845_GoannaSpiritOfPlace.jpg.920ea32b072021d593de146307c5ec76.jpg

15 hours ago, needlerunner said:

I have it thanks for thinking of me,  the only one I don't have is the Five Years Box Set which is around $1300+, when you can find one. Most are over $2000. You are paying over $800 for the CD Box Set of same.

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Do you mean Patricia Barber who did Cafe Blue, Verse, Companion etc.? I’m very familiar with her music...........do you have these albums and others of hers?
I’m a big fan of Ella Fitzgerald, so I reckon you would like her style as a jazz singer............................you should check her out, you might like her.?

Cheers Keith

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Finished the day with Goanna, Spirit of Place 

1862562845_GoannaSpiritOfPlace.jpg.920ea32b072021d593de146307c5ec76.jpg

I have it,  the only one I don't have is the Five Years Box Set which is around $1300+, when you can find one. Most are over $2000. You are paying over $800 for the CD Box Set of same.

JJ

How go you rate it?

5 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

Cheers Keith

Hi Keith.

I checked those other albums and yes that is her. Have listened to them and they didn't really grab me. Her album Smash, has got a bit of mongrel about it. Very different.

I haven't got it, but l will. I really like it. I had a listen to it again on Spotify this arfo. And yep, gotta have it.

Not really an Ella Fitgerald fan. Bit before my time. My first recollection of music was the Beatles; l was 9 and it just kicked off from there.

Late 60s, early 70s it was all Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Pink Floyd. And then that progressed into the Alternative/ Indie scene. Have come full circle and getting back into my music of my youth. I'm even starting to like artists that l didn't like back then. So not sure if l am mellowing, or going senile.? 

Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rantan said:

@needlerunner.,All you need now is one of these to top it all off. it has the go faster stripes and actually has ashtrays for the cigar ash?

1976 Toyota Corona - Banana Yellow Bomber

Now that is very funny rantan. I didn't get it at first til l looked closer. A bloody Toyota Corona.

You win April's Joke Of The Day. I'm her new adjudicator. Just haven't told her yet.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 5:34 PM, cheekyboy said:

...Glen Hansard...He's a great singer/songwriter...

Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores.JPG

I agree  he was an artist I discovered through Spotify or Tidal.

I spun these two on Friday arvo, the first at decent volume. I had to reduce the volume on the second, due wife returning...still unpopular when Paprika Plains reached its climax. ?

I know many call the RP3 a budget deck  however it's satisfying me as a recent buyer (with Exact cartridge and humble Rega Fono A2D), but into decent amps and speakers.

20200424_175344-01.jpeg

20200424_175454-01.jpeg

• Like 6