Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Guest Old Man Rubber

Young Talent Time.

If you didn't grow up in the 1970s you were never subject to the unending horror that was Johnny Young and his forced-to-smile band of amphetamine fueled children.  I struggle to explain even the concept of this show to my own kids other than "it was...variety?" which is a TV concept thrown under a bus by the endless "you got talent" type shows.

This particular record is the dirtiest one I have ever seen - inside the polythene sleeve the record was stuck by some kind of dried up liquid that I can only assume was vomit.  It took quite a lot of cleaning to make it playable but surprisingly it's in quite good condition (will need a few more cleans to get everything out of the grooves I think).

Anyway, Little Jamie Redfern and his little white cloud that cried can go get stuffed.  It's dreadful and always has been.

Some of it approaches listenable - Rod Kirkham doing the Bee Gees "Words" is pretty good.  Vicki Broughton unfortunately sounds a bit like somebody was doing a chipmunk pastiche on "Bridge over troubled water" as the tempo is quite fast and her voice is very high.  A very young Debbie Byrne "It's too late" is pleasant enough, Phillip Gould "Hooked on a feelin'" is a bit woeful and sounds under-rehearsed. 

The musicianship is surprisingly good and the product pretty lush for a pile of TV kids yawling contemporary hits.

I always found Johnny Young a bit...unsettling although to my knowledge there was never a hint of impropriety about his personal life.  As a reminder of being sprawled on carpet tiles in front of a black and white TV this is a lot of fun in the "so bad it's good" way that tickles my fancy.

20201120_122245.jpg

6 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Young Talent Time.

If you didn't grow up in the 1970s you were never subject to the unending horror that was Johnny Young and his forced-to-smile band of amphetamine fueled children.  I struggle to explain even the concept of this show to my own kids other than "it was...variety?" which is a TV concept thrown under a bus by the endless "you got talent" type shows.

This particular record is the dirtiest one I have ever seen - inside the polythene sleeve the record was stuck by some kind of dried up liquid that I can only assume was vomit.  It took quite a lot of cleaning to make it playable but surprisingly it's in quite good condition (will need a few more cleans to get everything out of the grooves I think).

Anyway, Little Jamie Redfern and his little white cloud that cried can go get stuffed.  It's dreadful and always has been.

Some of it approaches listenable - Rod Kirkham doing the Bee Gees "Words" is pretty good.  Vicki Broughton unfortunately sounds a bit like somebody was doing a chipmunk pastiche on "Bridge over troubled water" as the tempo is quite fast and her voice is very high.  A very young Debbie Byrne "It's too late" is pleasant enough, Phillip Gould "Hooked on a feelin'" is a bit woeful and sounds under-rehearsed. 

The musicianship is surprisingly good and the product pretty lush for a pile of TV kids yawling contemporary hits.

I always found Johnny Young a bit...unsettling although to my knowledge there was never a hint of impropriety about his personal life.  As a reminder of being sprawled on carpet tiles in front of a black and white TV this is a lot of fun in the "so bad it's good" way that tickles my fancy.

20201120_122245.jpg

WHY OH WHY.......do you do this to yourself??!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Young Talent Time.

But of course it did give us (introduce us) to Kylie & Dani Minogue......................

• Like 2

Hi All,

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

But of course it did give us (introduce us) to Kylie & Dani Minogue......................

I have been awaiting your post on this April ?

Currently listening to Pink Floyd, The Endless River

154226910_PinkFloydTheEndlessRiver.jpg.b2af9fde296fe9a42017e6a4ae55ee9d.jpg

JJ

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

'Doom Side Of The Moon' on pretty cool translucent yellow vinyl. Not as heavy or doomy as I had originally hoped but still a pretty well produced tribute to the classic album. My old man always says 'you can't change a classic it always ruins it'; he would thoroughly hate this album but I'm firmly in the opposite camp. I really enjoy re-imaginings of something everybody knows so well with a new flavour/personality added to it.

IMG_20201120_161402.thumb.jpg.8114f926bf960fd6c494087e6ea92d1d.jpg

• Like 5

'Modern Times' by Bob Dylan .. One of those albums that takes me right back to a certain place and time. Modern Times was in HEAVY rotation on the jukebox at the pub I worked at in England. As well as touring Europe in a pink Mercedes town bus with some old geezers who played a killer cover of 'Thunder On The Mountain' almost nightly.  ?

IMG_20201120_165640.thumb.jpg.9b4c8014d355ac0021a952e01b189773.jpg

Edited by SkipEsquire
  • Like 6

Well I’m not finished with Bing Crosby 

So I will continue on spinning 

Today on the platter are some classic tracks 

Artist - Bing Crosby 

Title - Songs I Wish I Had Sung (The First Time Around)

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/Bing-Crosby-Songs-I-Wish-I-Had-Sung-The-First-Time-Around/release/9419045

B6792-B5-D-1-D2-E-4870-BE3-D-2-CCABD4-B0

• Like 4