Al Stewart - Year of the Cat.

The cover art is fantastic - that isometric style and all the weird little cat details and that strange lady in the background doing some kind of weird furry cosplay.  His singing style isn't for everyone (very twee) but it seems so evocative of...something?  Lost empire?  Lot's of exotic travel references.  I dunno, I love it though and this copy is in superb condition too.

20201117_085019.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Janjuc

• hlov

• Full Range

• April Snow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just comfortably numb!

Back spinning after a weeks R&R down at the beautiful Barwon Heads 🏄‍♂️   Aretha: Lady Soul    

Blondie The Best of Blondie Australia 1981  

10 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

The cover art is fantastic - that isometric style and all the weird little cat details and that strange lady in the background doing some kind of weird furry cosplay.  His singing style isn't for everyone (very twee) but it seems so evocative of...something?  Lost empire?  Lot's of exotic travel references.  I dunno, I love it though and this copy is in superb condition too.

20201117_085019.jpg

Always reminds me of Elton when I listen to this Album...

• Like 1

Hi All,

Queen, Playing The Game Argentina 1981

1676365908_QueenPlayingTheGameArgentina1981.jpg.17a0c109d39247ffd413e5b44d3357a3.jpg

Tracklist:
A1    We Will Rock You    
A2    Let Me Entertain You    
A3    Play The Game    
A4    Mustapha    
A5    Death On Two Legs    
A6    Killer Queen    
A7    I'm In Love With My Car    
B1    Need Your Loving Tonight    
B2    Rock It (Prime Jive)    
B3    Save Me    
B4    Now I'm Here    
B5    Dragon Attack

JJ

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

20201117_085019.jpg

This is a superb work! There's a podcast somewhere that explains the genesis of this album and it's a pretty amazing story. I think he is one of the best wordsmiths of our time. His narrative ability is in my view unmatched. I would exhort anybody who is enamoured of this album (undoubtedly his most commercial) to investigate him further. He has an extensive discography. 

• Like 3

Hi All,

36 minutes ago, Bisguittin said:

This arrived yesterday from Germany exactly 7 months after placement of the order. Well worth the wait.

Mogwai  -  Rave Tapes.

20201117_091346-01.jpeg

You are lucky, I am still awaiting about a dozen albums ordered in March / April that I have only received an email that they would be shipping, so it will be interesting to see when they arrive.

Continuing with Queen, Now We're Here, also from a live performance in Argentina

686182575_QueenNowWereHere.jpg.37a35c526d9628762609121741a7da48.jpg

Tracklist
A1    Need Your Loving Tonight    
A2    Rock It (Prime Jive)    
A3    Save Me    
A4    Now I'm Here    
A5    Dragon Attack    
B1    Tie Your Mother Down    
B2    Another One Bites The Dust    
B3    Sheer Heart Attack    
B4    We Will Rock You    
B5    We Are The Champions

JJ

• Like 3

I found this gem hidden on my wardrobe, I have to move some records as no space in my living room

The Cure Disintegration, first German pressing. Amazing SQ

6E34B414-5925-4D33-AEF5-924CDAF86768.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

Absolutely beautiful!

Is that the MoFi DSotM under there?

Yup, this version as there are several pressings, it sounds terrific

38D1DAC9-005B-48E1-817F-049895C0F82A.jpeg

• Like 10

The acoustic version of old love in the unplugged is epic but the original version is in this album, Eric Clapton Journeyman, nice guitar work here

A17E4989-AC26-4008-A7C2-7C252B9698D0.jpeg

• Like 4

'Brothers in Arms' by Dire Straits .. Early on in my vinyl journey I ended up with two $1 copies of this, IMO, very mediocre album. Cleaned and re-sleeved them in a recent batch and now I feel compelled to listen to it at least once. Even the phone camera doesn't seem to like it; I couldn't, for the life of me, get it to focus on the sleeve.

EDIT: Something of actual interest, I bought some magic eraser today to give that a go after reading the "ultimate stylii cleaning?" thread. Up until now been using Isopropyl alcohol and a stiff bristle paint brush.

IMG_20201117_170146.thumb.jpg.39c851e9af8e19f28acf470206f20281.jpg

Edited by SkipEsquire
  • Like 7
33 minutes ago, SkipEsquire said:

'Brothers in Arms' by Dire Straits .. Early on in my vinyl journey I ended up with two $1 copies of this, IMO, very mediocre album. Cleaned and re-sleeved them in a recent batch and now I feel compelled to listen to it at least once. Even the phone camera doesn't seem to like it; I couldn't, for the life of me, get it to focus on the sleeve.

It's definitely a step down from "Love over Gold" (my personal favourite).  None of the epic sweep, none of the anguished story telling and the guitar wizardry hidden under layers of production.  Still have trouble believing the number of copies of it they sold although the rot probably set in sometime during the making of "Alchemy".  It's also one of those albums more suited to CD rather than vinyl (blasphemy in this thread surely).  Plus the lyrics of "Money for nothing" were problematic enough back in 1985 and are just a massive cringe fest now (not as bad as "Les boys" but still pretty bad).  I reckon "On Every Street" is a better album but again, on CD.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

It's definitely a step down from "Love over Gold" (my personal favourite).  None of the epic sweep, none of the anguished story telling and the guitar wizardry hidden under layers of production.  Still have trouble believing the number of copies of it they sold although the rot probably set in sometime during the making of "Alchemy".  It's also one of those albums more suited to CD rather than vinyl (blasphemy in this thread surely).  Plus the lyrics of "Money for nothing" were problematic enough back in 1985 and are just a massive cringe fest now (not as bad as "Les boys" but still pretty bad).  I reckon "On Every Street" is a better album but again, on CD.

Although I wasn't even born when either were released, my favourite album is the first Selftitled Dire Straits album. Brothers In Arms seems more like a 'singles' compilation of songs rather than cohesive artistic output as an album. There's still some really good bits on there for sure but in it's entirety it just feels shallow and disjointed and I struggle to get through both sides seamlessly. (My preferred method of listening and my main metric for vinyl purchases for the most part) Also it is definitely crazy the sheer amount of copies of this album out in the world compared to the prices people sometimes ask for it. I got both of these from the same Salvos (Must have forgotten I already had it) and then I see the exact same presses on discogs with people asking $40 + postage 😄

Edited by SkipEsquire
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SkipEsquire said:

EDIT: Something of actual interest, I bought some magic eraser today to give that a go after reading the "ultimate stylii cleaning?" thread. Up until now been using Isopropyl alcohol and a stiff bristle paint brush.

Oh I must be the odd one out then, I love this album - was in the top 20 ones I brought when I first brought my Turntable last year. I love every song on it and I think it sounds pretty good (mine is the Aussie 1985 issue).

I use a Onsow Zero Dust Stylus cleaner - found it great and you can wash them under the tap water to clean them too.

Heard Magic Eraser works good too, but went straight for the Onsow when I brought my turntable.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Oh I must be the odd one out then, I love this album - was in the top 20 ones I brought when I first brought my Turntable last year. I love every song on it and I think it sounds pretty good (mine is the Aussie 1985 issue).

I use a Onsow Zero Dust Stylus cleaner - found it great and you can wash them under the tap water to clean them too.

Heard Magic Eraser works good too, but went straight for the Onsow when I brought my turntable.

No. You are not alone :) I love every single album of them and have them on vinyl but their second live album

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, April Snow said:

Oh I must be the odd one out then, I love this album

I'm with you April. I find this album very pleasurable. The title track alone, is compellingly emotional. Quality wise, I must've been lucky. An original Aussie pressing and a much more recent 45rpm are both really good.

• Like 4

Continuation of the curse of Old Man Rubber to only ever get perfect copies of terrible records - a perfect, unplayed version of Colleen Hewett - The Power Of Love.

Ms Hewett's vocal stylings applied to a number of execrable covers.  (Huey Lewis' Power of Love? The original is fun but it isn't exactly high art and the cover manages to extract all the fun.  Also murdered on this record, Madonna's "Crazy for you", Phil Collins, Sting, Marvin Gaye and a variety of other covers that make no sense whatever.

Bonus:  It's signed on the back.  I'll leave it up to the reader to decide whether that increases or decreases the value of this record.  Or whether a super-fan faked the signature and that makes it more valuable?  Might need Rick Harrison to call one of his buddies in to decide that.

Despite the fact that it's a budget J&B release and on some of the flimsiest 80s vinyl ever spat out of a press, it's noise free and the dynamic range of the awful material is wonderful right to the inner tracks.  No sibilence, tight bass, just glorious 80s vinyl goodness.

20201118_081117.jpg

20201118_081127.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Continuation of the curse of Old Man Rubber to only ever get perfect copies of terrible records - a perfect, unplayed version of Colleen Hewett - The Power Of Love.

Ms Hewett's vocal stylings applied to a number of execrable covers.  (Huey Lewis' Power of Love? The original is fun but it isn't exactly high art and the cover manages to extract all the fun.  Also murdered on this record, Madonna's "Crazy for you", Phil Collins, Sting, Marvin Gaye and a variety of other covers that make no sense whatever.

Bonus:  It's signed on the back.  I'll leave it up to the reader to decide whether that increases or decreases the value of this record.  Or whether a super-fan faked the signature and that makes it more valuable?  Might need Rick Harrison to call one of his buddies in to decide that.

Despite the fact that it's a budget J&B release and on some of the flimsiest 80s vinyl ever spat out of a press, it's noise free and the dynamic range of the awful material is wonderful right to the inner tracks.  No sibilence, tight bass, just glorious 80s vinyl goodness.

20201118_081117.jpg

20201118_081127.jpg

Look at it as an important historical social document😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Bisguittin said:

Look at it as an important historical social document😄

Ugh.  Her cover of The Doors "Riders of the storm" more like "Passive observers of some light clouds", it's hard to describe just how insipid a lot of this thing is.  Tragically it's not "so bad it's funny" it's just...bad.  If its an artifact of something, it's that hideous mid-80s self congratulatory culture that surrounded Johnny Farnham.  In most other countries Hewett and Farnesy and their fellow travellers would have starved on the club circuit, not sold millions of albums.

edit:  oh lord it just got worse.  The Mentals "Live it up" bellowed out and stomped to the ground.  Gah!

edit again:  ...and another step downwards - Tears for Fears "Everybody wants to rule the world" and I am struggling to resist the urge to snap the bastard thing in half and fling it into the yard.

Edited by Old Man Rubber
added more stuff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Clearing out my lugholes - Machinations "Intimacy" 12" extended mix, signed.  Picked this up in Fremantle last time I was over there, used to see them live when they toured my home town.  I don't think they ever really captured that massive live sound / energy they used to bring to the stage but this is close enough.

This is about the "hottest" bit of vinyl I have, massive bass and occasionally sounds compressed to hell but a lot of the 12" club 45s sound like that,   This is a terrific little record giving the ol' subwoofer a real workout.

20201118_091617.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

And now for something completely different - "Man of La Mancha" original cast recording.

It's big, big fun - never seen the actual musical but this is fun, funny, hilarious yet still touching.  Great stuff, will almost definitely be in a charity shop record bin near you.

20201118_124210.jpg

• Like 4

Hi All,

Guardians Of The Galaxy OST, Volume 2

63288301_GuardiansOST.jpg.7e46caf71bd49bb3965c0e2bd6d78017.jpg

Tracklist:
Awesome Mix Vol. 2
A1    –Electric Light Orchestra    Mr. Blue Sky    
A2    –The Sweet    Fox On The Run    
A3    –Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah    Lake Shore Drive    
A4    –Fleetwood Mac    The Chain    
A5    –Sam Cooke    Bring It On Home To Me    
A6    –Glen Campbell    Southern Nights    
B1    –George Harrison    My Sweet Lord    
B2    –Looking Glass    Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl)    
B3    –Jay & The Americans    Come A Little Bit Closer    
B4    –Silver (10)    Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang    
B5    –Cheap Trick    Surrender    
B6    –Cat Stevens    Father And Son

JJ

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

20201118_081117.jpg

20201118_081127.jpg

Can you post it to Brookvale? Happy to take it 

• Like 1