Full Range

Vinyl / Records Currently Spinning

This guy makes some really delicate sounds, yet the songs are powerful. Michael Kiwanuka's Love and Hate. 

Thanks again J J for putting me onto him

1576836898377326142742.jpg

Tribute to Thelonious Monk

E4781EE5-ABDE-47BC-8ECD-F3BC94253F08.jpeg

Hi All,

Nick Drake, Five Leaves Left, Box Set from 2013, with copies of handwritten songs, promo posters and other bits and pieces

346737662_NickDrake.jpg.1d1e99aa00e96e5bb74171360837e6d5.jpg

JJ

Hi All,

Having a listen to the Aldi LP I picked up last week, typical of the 60s all songs between 1:40 and 2:30 

BB.jpg.d4a945b2c57d806f26c710b0ec39b151.jpg

JJ

Hi All,

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, Rock Art and the X-Ray Style

97266928_JSX-Ray.jpg.724d17b87f2f080ecb5fc3b241c75517.jpg

JJ

Jazz day, Ronnie Scott 

89B2EF8C-DA9F-4FED-86F1-099576738219.jpeg

Today it’s my pleasure to play this amazing LP

This artist is the pianists pianist as he had a unique style all his own 

Brilliant musicianship in every way 

A must listen artist to any budding pianist 

Artist - Roger Williams 

Title - Spanish Eyes 

This album was released in 1974 

ID - SPC 3367 USA & Canada release 

42580-B17-EDD0-4-B27-BD20-DF105-F79-C419

And now Grover Washington Jr 

89BFB77C-0F95-400B-BD2A-E97D97FCCBE8.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Today it’s my pleasure to play this amazing LP

This artist is the pianists pianist as he had a unique style all his own 

Brilliant musicianship in every way 

A must listen artist to any budding pianist 

Artist - Roger Williams 

Title - Spanish Eyes 

This album was released in 1974 

ID - SPC 3367 USA & Canada release 

42580-B17-EDD0-4-B27-BD20-DF105-F79-C419

Nice 🙂

Madonna 

Madonna (debut) Album

Japanese 80s Pressing

Simply beautiful - so happy with this purchase.

Now I need to find Like A Prayer - Japan pressing ........*sigh*

IMG_2804.JPG

1 minute ago, April Snow said:

Nice 🙂

Have a listen to this 1962 performance 

Theme from Exodus 

6 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Have a listen to this 1962 performance 

Theme from Exodus 

That is pretty cool too - have not heard that theme for many years. Music truly is timeless 🙂

Here is a merry Christmas message from Marillion 

Sunday morning vibes when doing chores - went to the Rocking Horse fair yesterday and picked this up.

Culture Club - Kissing to be Clever.

Not their best album but I do love of course the hits from this so happy to have it in my collection.

"Do You Really Want to Hurt me" - such a great song - music and lyrics - just holds up to the test of time.

IMG_2930.JPG

Edited by April Snow

Hi All,

Reason To Believe, The Songs Of Tim Hardin

Various.jpg.ede0f6e7e70f854850506cdfe636444a.jpg

Tracklist
1    –The Phoenix Foundation    Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep    
2    –The Sand Band    Reason To Believe    
3    –Mark Lanegan    Red Balloon    
4    –Diagrams    Part Of The Wind    
5    –The Magnetic North (2)    It's Hard To Believe In Love For Long    
6    –Alela Diane    How Can We Hang On To A Dream    
7    –Snorri Helgason    Misty Roses    
8    –Sarabeth Tucek    If I Knew    
9    –Okkervil River    It'll Never Happen Again    
10    –Smoke Fairies    If I Were A Carpenter    
11    –Gavin Clark    Shiloh Town    
12    –Hannah Peel    Lenny's Tune    
13    –Pinkunoizu    I Can't Slow Down

JJ

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

Sunday morning vibes when doing chores - went to the Rocking Horse fair yesterday and picked this up.

Culture Club - Kissing to be Clever.

Not their best album but I do love of course the hits from this so happy to have it in my collection.

"Do You Really Want to Hurt me" - such a great song - music and lyrics - just holds up to the test of time.

IMG_2930.JPG

Have the 7” of that song, it always remember me the Wedding Singer movie from the 80s

More Jazz, this is an interesting Japanese Denon pressing Superb sound quality and the music is great, Sonny Stitt ‎– Moonlight In Vermont

4517A9E1-6493-41F3-B84A-24981CA97855.jpeg

Hi All,

Smoke Fairies, Upstairs At United

1904348871_SmokeFairies.jpg.1577bc6bc93e5826c3909a6e039c0c9a.jpg

Tracklist
A1    Phone Line    
A2    The Water Waits    
A3    Dancing Light    
B1    Wake You Up    
B2    Good Man

JJ

Hi All,

Closer, Joy Division

Closer.jpg.4ec00e31fa7154bac06f28731eb7f589.jpg

JJ

Hi All,

Some Mr Grumpy Pants, at his sardonic best, Roger Waters, Is This The Life We Really Want

963728448_RWIsThistheLife.jpg.6000b25666b3f0f4a90e8304ad96d81b.jpg

JJ

18 hours ago, April Snow said:

Madonna 

Madonna (debut) Album

Japanese 80s Pressing

Simply beautiful - so happy with this purchase.

Now I need to find Like A Prayer - Japan pressing ........*sigh*

IMG_2804.JPG

Yep this is the pressing I was referring to earlier, it's a great press with killer mastering.

Good example why I love Japanese vinyl so much.

Like A Prayer Jap Pressing isn't bad (not worth its crazy price unless you're a collector), but this is the best sounding of the earlier releases.

Edited by TDK

I really love this album specially the day side

19E0B07D-6B66-4F4F-BCC7-744720D13FFB.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   1 member

• Similar Content

• By Nstat
      Hi all,

I am interested to hear if anyone has come across a DSP based active speaker that truly does a vinyl analog signal justice.

I am not suggesting that I have an amazing set of ears but I can usually pick a lack of warmth and clinical objectivity from DSP filters especially those that are situated in active digital speakers. 

I really like  listening to digital music through a digital speaker but there seems to be loss when trying to experience vinyl.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Can anyone recommend a digital speaker that does vinyl justice?

thanks 
    • By Juzbear
      This review is somewhat of a hybrid review, being the component in question started off as somewhat of a mongrel, as many Linn LP12s are- an original afromasia plinth with the classic fluting, made in 1975. When I first purchased it, I took it to Audio Genesis in Sydney, where they performed budget priced upgrades to a late pre-cirkus bearing and subchassis, along with a new armboard and cable for the Basik arm which graced it. For some years I used a high output excel MC cartridge, and then an AT OC-9, and all was well, as I enjoyed purchasing second hand vinyl in the 1990s at cheap prices. After moving down south to Melbourne, it continued to make good music, with a steady diet of music from the 2000s, and the riches of the as yet sleepy used market. After having kids and spending lots of the past 15 years riding bikes, in the past 3-4 years, I decided that it was time to give the old girl a bit of love. I had purchased a few cartridges over the years, which given it was running through an ME-15 pre with an MC board, were all moving coil. AT PT-33 was a well priced favourite, which was superseded by an AT OC-9/mk3, and the Basik gave way to a Jelco 750D, with it's ability to swap head shells. The first big structural modification that I did to the table was a about 2 years ago, when I bought both a cirkus bearing and kore subchassis. This clearly made a difference to the sound of the deck, and the subchassis was much easier to set up, largely due to the fact the the old subchassis was slightly bent! The turntable retained a lot of the Linn rhythmic sound that keeps you listening, though the bottom end was tighter. I found that at times the detail in the high percussion was good, though it seemed to come and go a little. I also bought a trampolin 2 base, which I thought was an improvement on running it without a base, as I had done. Given I had given myself a little bit of a buzz before with the valhalla and its greater than mains voltage, and my kids were getting tall enough to reach it on the wall shelf, this was more a safety upgrade rather than a sound upgrade, though it definitely improved the looks of the deck. Another amateur structural mod that I did was to fit corner braces to the original plinth, and re-glue the corners, which did seem to tighten up the sound. This brings me to the subject of the current review...

2019 was a year of reduced spending and hard work, and towards the end of it, as a Christmas present, my partner suggested that I should think about getting one of those plinths that I had talked about after I saw them at the Hifi show.

I had seen this sign with a few examples in the VAF room, and discussed them with Simon from VAF, who said that he and another bloke, Ben, were starting a business around turntable setup, maintenance and upgrades, and the plinths were part of that. No they weren't yet for sale, as they were needed to show some shops. I put thoughts of immediate purchases out of my mind, and thought about other things. Now that the opportunity came to purchase one, got into contact with Ben, through the website www.hifiguru.com.au . I checked out a few of the models they had on offer on the still pretty rudiimentary website, and really had my heart set on a red gum plinth with a fantastic wavy grain. Ben got back to me via email, and we messaged about what was available, and agreed that I would get the Red gum, along with a new Linn top plate. The cost of the plinth was about $1500, which is a little more than a stock Linn plinth, but much cheaper than importing a Woodsong plinth or Booplinth, which were crazy prices. It may seem a bit silly paying this much for the wood surround of a record player, but I reasoned that when I play a record, I listen, let my thoughts wander, and spend quite a lot of time looking at the turntable itself, so getting one that is just beautiful was not so silly. It took the better part of a month to go from agreeing to purchase to getting the plinth itself, due to christmas and holidays, and during that time, I took advantage of a sale at Tivoli hifi to pick up a lingo 4 at a good price. It just seemed that if I was going to update the plinth, the motor had to be done too. 

Come the end of January, and it was all coming together. I met Ben to pick up the plinth, and despite his offer to build up the player as part of the purchase, I really wanted to do it myself. The plinth looked even better in the flesh than I remembered, and certainly than in photos. The top plate was well set and the bolts were vertical. It was time to build. I had borrowed a set up jig and some tools, which make the whole shebang much easier. 

First up was removing the subplatter, bearing and tonearm from the old table, which was no problem at all. Then was the process of fitting the Lingo 4 into the new plinth, along with the aforementioned bits. All went fairly well, with no issues. Soon I had a table which was fully stocked with parts, just needing tuning.

If any of you have set up the suspension of an LP12, it is not magic, but it does require a bit of futzing around after you have set the platter to level, at about the height of the plinth edge. After the requisite twisting of the spring grommets, and bouncing of the platter, I had achieved a good bounce with no side to side movement. After that I attached and dressed the tonearm cable, which took a little longer, with a bit more twisting and bouncing for good measure. It was ready for the base to be reinstalled (a tight fit) and to be placed on the wall shelf (essential for any turntable in a house with floorboards, in my opinion). 

The finished product looks fantastic- a definite step up from the old girl who has travelled so far with me. It sounds fantastic, retaining that rhythmic coherence that LP12's are famous for, but what the Plinth/Lingo 4 add is a little more air in the upper frequencies- cymbals sound a bit more like they should, with less tizz, and a bit more separation of instruments. The biggest change to my ears has been the increased definition of bass guitar, bass drum, and the bottom end in general. It comes across as stronger, but without the kind of amiable boominess that the older versions of the deck have had. I have found that the change has been for the better with all the styles of music that I play, from rock/pop/metal, to jazz and classical. Overall this renovation of my LP12 has been just what I wanted- bringing a bit more audiophile into the musical fun of the original, without losing any of it.

For the moment I am just enjoying it, currently listening regularly, with no thoughts of what comes next.

Justin
    • By MGO
      Item: Vinyl Stuff - Ring Mat Carbon Fibre Brush $50
      Price:  $50 plus postage
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank TT

RingMat Developments have made a business over decades making TT mats.  They work really well.
      The carbon fibre brush is only a few months old and used infrequently. 

• By Alpine Electrocats
      I was going to ask about packing lps for a move, but just found a box from Naked Wines - it is really solid cardboard and holds a lot of records ( maybe 40) in an excellent fit- not too heat either. Now to find some more!
      Other suggestions ?
      I hate starting a new stream but. I tried various searches on this unsuccessfully 

• By Bill125812
      Item: 57 records 
      Price Range: nil. Nothing 
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: Memories from my youth. Some good. Some bad. Lots ugly.  All Ultrasonic cleaned.  Lots of classical. Some pop compilations from 70’s / 80’s. 
      Some good ones. Double ups of mine.   the photos are an example of what you can expect.

prob pickup only.   Redland Bay.  Near Brissy

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).