Vinyl - Currently Spinning

Hi All,

35 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

So have you moved the E.A.T on then JJ?

No, only a few low ballers, still boxed up, will put up again in a few weeks after thinking about which TT I will keep.

Currently listening to Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills, Super Session

309040358_SuperSessionBloomfieldKooperStills.jpg.07f86756e9bfc4be58b1fd7099ac573d.jpg

JJ

• Like 7

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

@needlerunner Interesting, I shall check this product out, I use a Spin Clean but this interests me as it might be worth adding to kit too. What record brush did you use?

Overseas shipping is a pain at the moment - I waited two months for records from US from a Discogs seller - but they were a month in Perth Customs , so really only one month in transit from US to Oz - but it was this end that was the drag.

Hi April.

Apparently you can use this in record cleaners. I lnow you can buy it in larger quantaties. But not sure of the economies of scale around this.

When l purchased my new tt, l purchased an audio-technica cleaning kit. The only problem is, is that you pour the solution into the brush, and it evaporates very quickly in between uses, even though l keep the brush in a sealed container. The bottle only lasted 6 months. It is only a 60 ml and costs $30 posted. Couldn't find a bigger bottle. So expenssive.

The Melody Mate is 1/2 a litre for $40.

To mine the MM does a better job.

The audio-technica cleaned the record, but l never heard any sonic improvement. But early days yet.

I will try it on a few more records and see what evolves.

But the a/t brush comes in handy as l will use it with the MM. I could fill the brush with the MM solution, but then that would evaporate too. You can't drain the brush as the fill up is 2 tiny holes in the top of the brush.  But the brush works well and will get into the groove nicely on application.

Take a punt April, l don't think you will regret it. Other people who use this product, or with more cleaning knowledge than me will probably chime in. But it may be the next best thing to not owning a record cleaner. I only buy new records, so hoping this solution (pun intended) will be all l ever need. Frank Prowse Hi Fi in Perth swear by it and they gave me the heads up.

Cheers, Ken.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scuzzii said:

Great post. I have this album unopened at the moment.

I use MM with my RCM and its terrific.

Open her up John. It has to be played. Lol. Though a lot of the tracks are on the live album you purchased. I remember you posting before, when l asked you what it sounded like, that you said it was still sealed.

I believe you have quite a collection of unopened gems. Is that because they are collectables, for maybe resale at a later date, or you buy that many, you can't keep up?.

How would you know if they are not damaged through shipping. I'm guessing you can't return them if you open several months later and they are. But then you are a rich fella John, so water off a duck's back, eh, my friend.

Keep up the great posts mate. There is always something of interest for me in them.

With the Melody Mate, you could probably give our friend April some great advice.

Happy listening mate.

Cheers Ken

• Like 2

@needlerunner and @April Snow  and @scuzzii

Online from Melody Mate itself 

1 Lt bottle with microfibre cloth $ 49.95 - shipping free 

https://www.melodymate.com.au/product-page/melody-mate-premium-vinyl-record-cleaner-solution-1-litre-bonus-microfiber-cloth

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 3

On 19/09/2020 at 6:05 PM, metal beat said:

Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup - 2020 remix 2LP set.   really enjoying this. The Giles Martin remix is pretty good - additional clarify which really makes the slower tracks sound better, but perhaps the edge is lost from some of the rockers.  Loving the 2nd LP of unreleased, alternate and instrumental versions tracks.

ggdRSVI.jpg

any advice on the best place to purchase in (from) aus? I thought I'd go for the 4LP box set but trying to work out the best price. Do you reckon its  worth the purchase? My only copy is a a sacked out Canadian version from about 30 years ago

3 minutes ago, Full Range said:

https://www.melodymate.com.au/product-page/melody-mate-premium-vinyl-record-cleaner-solution-1-litre-bonus-microfiber-cloth

Thanks FR. I saw that. Great value.

I think the little piddly spray bottle was from memory around 29 bucks.

So thought the half litre spray bottle was good value. I don't think the litre bottle is a spray bottle. But will buy a litre bottle next time and top up my spray bottle.  Sounds like a lot of people are using this product.

Cheers mate.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, charlie_bird said:

any advice on the best place to purchase in (from) aus? I thought I'd go for the 4LP box set but trying to work out the best price. Do you reckon its  worth the purchase? My only copy is a a sacked out Canadian version from about 30 years ago

JB its $280.    amazon au - source from amazon uk is $159.  if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for shipping.

Just now, metal beat said:

JB its $280.    amazon au - source from amazon uk is $159.  if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for shipping.

Excellent. Appreciate that you took the time to confirm. That's where I ended up too.

I hope it sounds good. I don't have much to compare it to so it's worth the punt to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

Hi April.

Apparently you can use this in record cleaners. I lnow you can buy it in larger quantaties. But not sure of the economies of scale around this.

When l purchased my new tt, l purchased an audio-technica cleaning kit. The only problem is, is that you pour the solution into the brush, and it evaporates very quickly in between uses, even though l keep the brush in a sealed container. The bottle only lasted 6 months. It is only a 60 ml and costs $30 posted. Couldn't find a bigger bottle. So expenssive.

The Melody Mate is 1/2 a litre for $40.

To mine the MM does a better job.

The audio-technica cleaned the record, but l never heard any sonic improvement. But early days yet.

I will try it on a few more records and see what evolves.

But the a/t brush comes in handy as l will use it with the MM. I could fill the brush with the MM solution, but then that would evaporate too. You can't drain the brush as the fill up is 2 tiny holes in the top of the brush.  But the brush works well and will get into the groove nicely on application.

Take a punt April, l don't think you will regret it. Other people who use this product, or with more cleaning knowledge than me will probably chime in. But it may be the next best thing to not owning a record cleaner. I only buy new records, so hoping this solution (pun intended) will be all l ever need. Frank Prowse Hi Fi in Perth swear by it and they gave me the heads up.

Cheers, Ken.

Thanks Ken -

Is this the brush you use?

https://audio-technica.com.au/products/at6012/

I looked at the MM website and they say it can be used with the Spin Clean too - so assume you just add their fluid instead of the SC fluid (shame I just brought a new bottle of that........hahaha)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, April Snow said:

Thanks Ken -

I looked at the MM website and they say it can be used with the Spin Clean too - so assume you just add their fluid instead of the SC fluid (shame I just brought a new bottle of that........hahaha)

That's the brush April.

Bit like like buying a computer printer. Cheap to buy, then they get you on the printer ink replacement.

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, needlerunner said:

I believe you have quite a collection of unopened gems. Is that because they are collectables, for maybe resale at a later date, or you buy that many, you can't keep up?.

How would you know if they are not damaged through shipping. I'm guessing you can't return them if you open several months later and they are. But then you are a rich fella John, so water off a duck's back, eh, my friend.

Happy listening mate.

Cheers Ken

Yes there is quite a collection of unopened.  I get 15 or so delivered each week at the moment - making Mr Bezos very rich....  Speaking of which, I'm far from rich mate - just spend most of my money on Vinyl and Wine ...

I mostly only play the system at the weekend (Friday night onwards) so the I don't get through everything that's arrived - as i sometimes just want to listen to something i'm familiar with rather than opening something I'm not sure of.  (Limited time)

I usually grab a couple of copies - and give them out to mates if I like the album.  I usually only sell something if I have a spare and someone posts a WTB ad, or if I doubt I'm going to open and play it because I have other releases of it.  I don't buy to specifically resell later.  Cant be bothered with that stuff.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, April Snow said:

Thanks Ken -

Yep - that would be correct April.  I use MM with my RCM.  How do you dry your vinyl after using Spin Clean..?  

regarding Brushes, you could also probably use the Mofi one as well.

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/mobile-fidelity/mofi-record-cleaning-brush.html

My cleaning approach:

1. RCM with Melody Mate brushed onto the vinyl, let it settle for 20 secs and vac dry
  2. Ultra Sonic with Triton X and some MM in the solution
  3. Rinse in Water with ISO Alcohol  (still on the US Spindle)
  4. RCM to Vac Dry
  5. Stand in the Knosti vinyl rack (to ensure any water that's gotten into the label has dried out prior to placing back into inner sleeves)

I was using the Okki Nokki solution and recently switched to Melody Mate - noticed a big difference/improvement with MM.

rcm.jpg

us.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Full Range said:

cheers mate - i purchased 2 x 1 Litre bottles earlier this year from them.

Waiting on them having stock of the solution used in a US as well.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

Yep - that would be correct April.  I use MM with my RCM.  How do you dry your vinyl after using Spin Clean..?  

regarding Brushes, you could also probably use the Mofi one as well.

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/mobile-fidelity/mofi-record-cleaning-brush.html

Thanks for that, with Spin Clean I just wipe the records with the supplied SC clothes and then allow to dry in a rack about an hour to make sure all is totally dry before slipping into a Mofi Inner Sleeve.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scuzzii said:

Yes there is quite a collection of unopened.  I get 15 or so delivered each week at the moment - making Mr Bezos very rich....  Speaking of which, I'm far from rich mate - just spend most of my money on Vinyl and Wine ...

Rich...in life experience?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1