Vinyl - Currently Spinning

19 hours ago, needlerunner said:

This just arrived. Not a huge fan of the great man. And definitely not into the Motown Sound. But when l heard this album at a friends house, l was simply blown away. Is has got a Jazzy Spacy feel to it. Heavy Bass and Synths in spades. The wordmanship is subliminal. Stevie getting angry (mainly against Nixon). The song Living for the City is magnificent.  This will spend a lot of time on the platter.

15852944265778511889102012513328.jpg

Wow, thanks for the advise. I just gave it a

play on Tidal, really great, I’m a big fan of Mr Wonder specially his early work. I have an album of him when he was 13 

• Like 4

Have not played any music all week due to over watching the news & making myself miserable with a "Corona Coma"

so I am calling this arvo a Corona Free time - (to try and regain some sanity and feel a little more normal for a while)

starting off my spinning with needing a holiday ?

Madonna

Holiday

12 Inch

IMG_3583.JPG

• Like 8

Picked this up 

still sealed and happy to find when I cracked the seal open it was the rare version of the pink & the  blue vinyl with only very light swirls (not splattered)

Sounds incredible - not one pop or crackle anywhere.

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Hard-Candy/release/13558314

Madonna

Hard Candy

US

IMG_4057.JPG

• Like 7

1 minute ago, April Snow said:

Picked this up 

still sealed and happy to find when I cracked the seal open it was the rare version of the pink & the  blue vinyl with only very light swirls (not splattered)

Madonna

Hard Candy

US

IMG_4057.JPG

Same version as mine then ?

Highly underrated album too as it has some great tracks on it. Pour a nice glass of wine, sit back and relax for a bit is what my doctor ordered ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Highly underrated album too as it has some great tracks on it. Pour a nice glass of wine, sit back and relax for a bit is what my doctor ordered ?

Yes we are lucky, I was expecting it to sound crappy as I am not a fan of coloured vinyl let alone splatters and I read that some gave bad reviews, but this one is perfect no surface noise, pops or crackles. I like this album but it is next level on Vinyl I think. Much more detail for sure. 

Nice we are "twinning" on this rarer issue ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hlov said:

Wow, thanks for the advise. I just gave it a

play on Tidal, really great, I’m a big fan of Mr Wonder specially his early work. I have an album of him when he was 13 

He was 23 when he bought this album out. I think prior to that he had bought out 16 albums. So yer started real young.

Have played it several times now and it just keeps getting better. 

Great sounding record. In fact very well produced. Probably one of the best produced album l have.  I purchased it from Mighty Ape (Australian) they have it for $40 at the moment. When l ordered it, it was $36.

Hard to believe it is nearly 50 years old. Still contemporary.  Doesn't say where it was produced.  I don't know if it's a reissue. Says 1973 Motown Record Corporation. A Universal Music Company, on the cover. You would know about it more than me. I'm pretty new at this record lark (2nd time around). First time around, back in the day l didn't care (l think girls were more important). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, April Snow said:

Picked this up 

Madonna

Hard Candy

US

IMG_4057.JPG

Don't you love it when it doesn't sound like a bowl of Rice Bubbles.

That and the dreaded warp (had a good run lately). But my last 5 albums dead flat. Yeah.

Interestingly, l always rated CDs way above records in the SQ stakes.

But some of the records l have purchased resently have displaced that theory. A couple sound clearly better. Spending a squillian on a tt probably helped. Definitely was not the case with my last tt.

Could be wrong, but my theory is that if your cd player costs $1000, you would have to spend 4 times that on a tt to better it for sound. Seems that way to me. Could be expectence bias? But not sure about cognitive biases though. Even if you THINK it sounds better. It still sounds better.  I let my ears (not what is between them) tell me what I'm hearing.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Don't you love it when it doesn't sound like a bowl of Rice Bubbles.

That and the dreaded warp (had a good run lately). But my last 5 albums dead flat. Yeah.

Interestingly, l always rated CDs way above records in the SQ stakes.

But some of the records l have purchased resently have displaced that theory. A couple sound clearly better. Spending a squillian on a tt probably helped. Definitely was not the case with my last tt.

Could be wrong, but my theory is that if your cd player costs $1000, you would have to spend 4 times that on a tt to better it for sound. Seems that way to me. Could be expectence bias? But not sure about cognitive biases though. Even if you THINK it sounds better. It still sounds better.  I let my ears (not what is between them) tell me what I'm hearing.

I have found that "most" vinyl sounds better as there are details I have not picked up on the CDs. In fact sometimes it is so different I have had to  compare both CD and Vinyl side by side.

I have found the vinyl versions have made me fall in love with the music  I know so well again (even though I have had them on CD for years) ?

But this only applies if it is a nice pressing too .........if it is noisy and full of pops not so much of course, coz nobody likes that.

I also agree a better T/T and Cartridge makes a big difference (I am forever grateful to the person that helped me set mine up ?)

Two that come to mind as amazingly different:

Prince - Parade  Vinyl Album:  when I first played the vinyl I thought there was something wrong with it as it was so different in sound to the CD version until I played the CD with it and realised what I was hearing were more details as they were tracking identical (I was only very new in the vinyl hobby then, so it was a shock to me to discover this).

Michael Jackson - Invincible  Vinyl Album:  sounds like a totally different album to the CD - so rich and full on vinyl, even though wonderful on CD just sounds like it was meant to be heard on Vinyl. So worth getting if you like MJ. This is my favourite album of his.

But sometimes CDs are better - and they are a very much loved part of my collection too. But I think CDs can also be sometimes a little too "perfect" in a way too, and miss something - but as I said, if I had to choose between the two mediums I would pick Vinyl for sound but my CD collection has rarities not on Vinyl so would be a tough choice............hope I never have to make the choice.

Streaming - I don't like it.

Flac files stored on my hard drives - they are great, and convenient - but to sit and enjoy music it is Vinyl hands down.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, April Snow said:

Picked this up 

Madonna

Hard Candy

US

IMG_4057.JPG

6 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

6 hours ago, April Snow said:

Yes we are lucky, I was expecting it to sound crappy as I am not a fan of coloured vinyl let alone splatters and I read that some gave bad reviews, but this one is perfect no surface noise, pops or crackles. I like this album but it is next level on Vinyl I think. Much more detail for sure. 

Nice we are "twinning" on this rarer issue ?

are you guys trying to make me feel inadequate :cry::)

the standard splatter pressing sounds pretty good as well and is quiet. Its the same Kevin Gray mastering.   Interesting they used GZ for the splatter pressing and Rainblow for the solid coloured and black vinyl.  GZ are very good at splatter and coloured vinyl considering their more than dodgy black vinyl pressings.

Gotta luv and album that has Kanye on it :thumb:

07v3PWo.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, metal beat said:

are you guys trying to make me feel inadequate :cry::)

the standard splatter pressing sounds pretty good as well and is quiet. Its the same Kevin Gray mastering.   Interesting they used GZ for the splatter pressing and Rainblow for the solid coloured and black vinyl.  GZ are very good at splatter and coloured vinyl considering their more than dodgy black vinyl pressings.

Gotta luv and album that has Kanye on it :thumb:

07v3PWo.jpg

The splattered is super cool too and it is what I expected to arrive - so I was shocked when I opened it to see it was the rarer one, but so glad yours plays gorgeous too. This is an under appreciated album - but at least we are showing it some love ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, April Snow said:

I have found that "most" vinyl sounds better as there are details I have not picked up on the CDs. In fact sometimes it is so different I have had to  compare both CD and Vinyl side by side.

I have found the vinyl versions have made me fall in love with the music  I know so well again (even though I have had them on CD for years) ?

But this only applies if it is a nice pressing too .........if it is noisy and full of pops not so much of course, coz nobody likes that.

I also agree a better T/T and Cartridge makes a big difference (I am forever grateful to the person that helped me set mine up ?)

Two that come to mind as amazingly different:

Prince - Parade  Vinyl Album:  when I first played the vinyl I thought there was something wrong with it as it was so different in sound to the CD version until I played the CD with it and realised what I was hearing were more details as they were tracking identical (I was only very new in the vinyl hobby then, so it was a shock to me to discover this).

Michael Jackson - Invincible  Vinyl Album:  sounds like a totally different album to the CD - so rich and full on vinyl, even though wonderful on CD just sounds like it was meant to be heard on Vinyl. So worth getting if you like MJ. This is my favourite album of his.

But sometimes CDs are better - and they are a very much loved part of my collection too. But I think CDs can also be sometimes a little too "perfect" in a way too, and miss something - but as I said, if I had to choose between the two mediums I would pick Vinyl for sound but my CD collection has rarities not on Vinyl so would be a tough choice............hope I never have to make the choice.

Streaming - I don't like it.

Flac files stored on my hard drives - they are great, and convenient - but to sit and enjoy music it is Vinyl hands down.

Well said April.

You are right. CDs are great. But clinical, sometimes stilted, something lacking, perhaps. But with a good vinyl pressing, everything opens up. It feels very alive. Draws you in more.  For me l feel more engaged. 

Didn't know that before l exposed myself both mediums on an equel footing.  Maybe, it's a CV thing?

I'm sure we we will all view the world in an entirely new concept from now on. Hopefully for the better.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Well said April.

You are right. CDs are great. But clinical, sometimes stilted, something lacking, perhaps. But with a good vinyl pressing, everything opens up. It feels very alive. Draws you in more.  For me l feel more engaged. 

Didn't know that before l exposed myself both mediums on an equel footing.  Maybe, it's a CV thing?

I'm sure we we will all view the world in an entirely new concept from now on. Hopefully for the better.

Yes that is well put as you have said it -

totally agree........it is more engaging, besides being more tactile too - you are connected with the music (even if you have to flip it over). 

I think our appreciation for all things will change in current experiences and for the better ? ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Well said April.

8 hours ago, April Snow said:

Yes that is well put as you have said it -

totally agree........it is more engaging, besides being more tactile too - you are connected with the music (even if you have to flip it over). 

I think our appreciation for all things will change in current experiences and for the better ? ?

I’ve been buying and playing vinyl records since the mid ‘60s and when CDs appeared about 20 years later, I never went away from vinyl, as many did. So, take it from me that vinyl is a far more dynamic and engaging medium than digital.

Back in the ‘80s I was being told what a great sound these new CDs made, but at the time, I thought I must not have bought a good enough CD player, because I simply could not hear any improvement over a vinyl album. 

I eventually got around to listening to friend’s CDPs and these friends weren’t the audio enthusiasts you find here on StereoNET, however they were telling me what a great sound their CDs made and I’d be standing there thinking it was bloody awful! Unfortunately, not a lot has changed in the past 35 years.?

CDPs have improved a lot over the years and I get a lot of pleasure from listening to streamed albums as background music while I’m working or doing other things around home. For a sit down in front listen though, it simply has to be vinyl for me.?

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Back in the ‘80s

You was young and hip and now of course we're both tragically unhip...well, one of us is anyway?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Luc said:

You was young and hip and now of course we're both tragically unhip...well, one of us is anyway?

Yeah, Lee, I was in my 30s when CDs arrived here and it would be nice to be that age again, but hip?................ I don't think I ever was hip, mate, so it must be you you're talking about!:lol:

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

To Top