Vinyl - Currently Spinning

On 22/02/2020 at 3:44 PM, Tubularbells said:

....and?

Really keen to hear the difference between these one step pressings Vs. regular so am keen for "Mr. one-step" @evil c to host a gtg doing some comparisons among his vast array of these releases.

There are some pressings that just out-resolve your (my) system, and this is one of them.

Clearly superior to most things that spin on my deck : I'm keeping it to play and enjoy on my penultimate system, in whatever year that materialises.   :) 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Clearly superior to most things that spin on my deck : I'm keeping it to play and enjoy on my penultimate system, in whatever year that materialises.   :) 

I appreciate it is clearly superior, but I'm curious as to why your penultimate system?.....................how will you know you've arrived at that system?:unsure:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

I appreciate it is clearly superior, but I'm curious as to why your penultimate system?.....................how will you know you've arrived at that system?:unsure:

Cheers,

Keith

Good point mate.

in this caper nobody can use the word penultimate in correct context, because we never know what treasure awaits. I know of many people who have done complete u-turns in their systems and sonic philosophy. It has probably happened only 15 times in my life though, as I am judicious and a model of restraint and consistency.:angel:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, rantan said:

Good point mate.

in this caper nobody can use the word penultimate in correct context, because we never know what treasure awaits. I know of many people who have done complete u-turns in their systems and sonic philosophy. It has probably happened only 15 times in my life though, as I am judicious and a model of restraint and consistency.:angel:

Yeah, you get the point, mate. Penultimate means second from last or last but one, so my question is how can you know that? Given the vagaries of this hobby, it is going to be hard enough to say this is my last/ultimate system, unless you plan on shuffling off tomorrow I guess, so how can you know what your second last system is going to be??:ohmy:

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Cheers,

Keith

Hah - that's pretty simple: I won't.  ?

Let me put it simply this way: this album is far better than the gear I have now.

I'm keeping it until I have something that it sounds much better on.

Penultimate or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Hah - that's pretty simple: I won't.  ?

Let me put it simply this way: this album is far better than the gear I have now.

I'm keeping it until I have something that it sounds much better on.

Penultimate or not.

No worries, Jon, I was confused, although I would have understood, if you had said you were keeping it to play on your last or ultimate system, but I couldn’t understand the relevance of keeping it to play on your second to last system...............hence the question, how would you actually know you had arrived at your penultimate system? Also, why wouldn’t you just keep it to play on your ultimate system, be that your last or not?

As you say, it is simple, you won’t know what your penultimate system will be, so perhaps that is the conundrum you were posing, yes??

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ericd said:

I've become increasingly selective about what records I'm willing to purchase.

But this one is sublime

image.png.7c44e7f89fd50593805e3a153874fc9e.png

Thanks for posting something that I haven’t seen before 

Just had a listen on YouTube and it sounds like a mix of Indian and Scottish meld 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Thanks for posting something that I haven’t seen before 

Just had a listen on YouTube and it sounds like a mix of Indian and Scottish meld 

James Yorkston is a Scottish songwriter I have been a fan of for a while, When the Haar Rolls In is probably my favourite of his solo albums. This album is his third with Khan and Thorne, they are really hitting their stride melding the various influences 

Edited by ericd
  • Like 2

Just now, metal beat said:

It was never a single for Prince - came our  briefly in 1993 as a 12 inch single promo.   

This is the 2018 release of the original 1984 recording.

Cool,  I’m pretty sure I saw one of those the 12” in a Record fair along with Pink Cashemere, as I never have cash in my wallet couldn’t get them. Lucky me I was able to get a copy of the Hits album for a good price, it was shipped on the day he died. The album has both songs on it and now sells for crazy prices ....

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1052436573

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TDK said:

Cheers @hlov, but that's only the preamp. The amp sits next door to it.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6052995cfa95af68amp.thumb.JPG.bdc0728b398ab534507f659ca716a2e5.JPG

Holly amplifiers Batman, a set of McIntosh. You Sir have a great taste. I love VU meters, my Yamaha amp has those, really cool 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hlov said:

Cool,  I’m pretty sure I saw one of those the 12” in a Record fair along with Pink Cashemere, as I never have cash in my wallet couldn’t get them. Lucky me I was able to get a copy of the Hits album for a good price, it was shipped on the day he died. The album has both songs on it and now sells for crazy prices ....

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1052436573

the original version is different to the version on Hits 1.     You can get it on Originals album that came out last year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hlov said:

Really nice indeed, is this a first pressing? 

There is a live version on Prince CD - Hits & B sides - also this is on the album "The Originals" by Prince and if you get the Target US CD release it has the Cinematic Version on it which is stunningly beautiful. But CD of course.

Vinyl: https://store.warnermusic.com.au/products/originals-vinyl

Here is the 45 single:

https://www.amazon.com.au/NOTHING-COMPARES-2-U-PRINCE/dp/B07C53MXGN/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=prince+nothing+compares&qid=1582455418&sr=8-2

and the Target one (I think the Japan CD has the bonus Nothing Compares 2 U track too on CD).

https://www.discogs.com/Prince-Originals/release/13787301

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 3